Odd XJ part needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd XJ part needed

I was checking over my XJ yesterday when I noticed one of the 3 wires running from the boost sensor to the wiring harness was broken. I pulled and repaired the broken connector; one wire had separated right at the end that plugs into the boost sensor.

I would like to replace this pigtail, but can't find it on the parts fiche. Any of you guys who have a parts XJ have one of these pigtails? Its a short 3-wire pigtail that connects the boost sensor to the main wiring harness, and is located under the seat. If so, drop me a line let me know how much you want for it.

I haven't ridden the bike since the repair, was doing some other work and the bike is not yet rideable, but can't help wondering how long that wire has been broken and screwing up the ignition curve and what it will run llike now that it is fixed. Will let you know once I get the bike back on the road.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Hey Jerry,

I went to the Fiche site, but the diagrams don't show the orientation of that plug, and they didn't show which plug on the harness plugs into it!?

However, MikesXS has plug sets, and here are the 2 types that have 3 spaces/wires for them!
    Coupler Set
    Coupler Set with Terminals - 3 space - Large Flat Spade type. Set for stock
    factory TCi Ignition trigger wire to stock wire harness (with terminals).

Part #12-0633 $4.00 USD EA.

Coupler Set
    Coupler Set with Terminals - 3 space (Small Flat Spade type).

Part #12-0637 $3.00 USD EA.
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Jerry

I just checked my surviving XJ parts bike, and I have the connector you need. How long would you like the wires, six inches long enough, or do you just need the plastic shell?

Comment

Jerry, are the wire colors black, green/blue, and blue/yellow? I have a boost sensor in my hand, and the wires and connector are still attached. It's all yours for $5 plus S&H.

Comment

TC: Thanks for the info from Mike's. Connector is the top one. Right-side (male) connector is the one that fits on boost sensor.

John: PM on its way to you. Thanks for the offer!

Jerry
          Jerry Fields
          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
          '06 Concours
          My Galleries Page.
          My Blog Page.

Comment

I also carry the 3 prong conector at OregonMotorcycleParts.com but the one I carry has a locking tab.

Geezer
            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Got the XJ back on the road this weekend. Runs quite a bit better with the boost sensor working.

Among the benefits of better acceleration and better fuel economy, the 'popping' that I occasionally had on rapid deceleration is now gone.

There appears to be a difference in XJs with the wiring between the boost sensor and the main harness. On my bike, a short pigtail - maybe 6 inches? - connects the sensor to the main harness. This pigtail has a 3-prong male plug on one end and a 3-prong female plug on the other end. The cable that I received from John, along with a boost sensor, is quite a bit longer, maybe a foot or more and looks like it went into the main wiring harness directly, thus eliminating the pigtail adapter. Maybe thats why Yamaha doesn't show the pigtail on the microfiche; a mid-model change that wasn't documented! Anyway, the way the wiring hangs down it looks like the original wire may have been snagged on the carbs when they were removed for cleaning, and pulled out of its connector. One more thing to check when pulling XJ carbs.
              Jerry Fields
              '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
              '06 Concours
              My Galleries Page.
              My Blog Page.

Comment

Working...
              X