Final Drive breather cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Drive breather cap

I have a feeling my final drive breather cap is painted shut. Before i painted, i checked the oil level and nothing registered on the dipstick so i flushed it out and filled it up. After taking it out on the road, i have oil all over my rear wheel rim sprayed out. My guess is that since the breather is shut, the only place for the pressure to go is through the seal. My question is how do i open/replace that cap. I tried prying on it before paint to no avail and now with fresh paint on it, i don't want to start hammering on it without knowing exactly what i'm doing.
    1981 XS 1100 SH

I would use a dental pick to try and poke a hole up from the bottom. You do need to clear the vent, or you will have a LOT of problems wit hthe final drive.
    The vent has a metal cap that is pressed over a drilled bolt. The vent allows air to go through the bolt, then down and under the cap. You should be good once you clear around the bottom of the cap.
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

My friend said it should spin. If so, could i grab it with a vice grip and twist it? Can i pop it off and get a new one?
      1981 XS 1100 SH

Comment

That cap is made of pretty thin metal and crimped onto the bolt loosely so it wiggles and moves, but doesn't come off. If you grabbed it whith some vise grips hard enough to try to get it to turn, you will probably just end up crimping it solid against the bolt.
        I agree with Ray... just get a little dental pick or something similar, and scrape the paint away from the bottom side of that cap. This is one of those things that needs finesse and a little time... not a bigger hammer. Good Luck.

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

clogged

From my experience with this apparatus it is clogged with gummed-up varnish like mess from old gear oil. You can do as the others here said with the pick, but i went the extra step and drained the drive and shot the orifice with carb cleaner,let dry then refilled with new 90wt. I haven't had a problem since. On my shiny xs, I tore the cap off completely and replaced with a custom stainless steele piece....Still no problems...chop
          MDRNF
          79F.....Not Stock
          80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Did I just F myself? After looking closely, it did not look painted shut. I grabbed a pliars just to see if it would move. It did! So I twisted it ... right off. Seems there's a cone with holes under there instead of a bolt with a crimped cap. Any thoughts? I'm sure a bit of JB weld would hold that cap back on. What kind of aftermarket breather could i put on that? Check out the nice oil spray all over my wheel. I think it's a bit odd that it's not evenly distributed. It's like it puked it out in bursts.

1981 XS 1100 SH

Comment

to me
              it doesn't look like it is coming out of the vent
              i would check the seal between the hub and the final drive
              the plastic guard, is probley soaked in oil
              because if it came out of the vent
              it would run down the side of the final drive and drip on the road
              or at the very least onto your tire
              but not all the way up the rim

just my 2 cents worth
              http://home.securespeed.us/~xswilly/
              78E main ride, since birth the "good"
              78E Parts, the "bad" fixing up now
              78E Parts the "ugly" maybe next year
              79F Parts
              80G Parts
              75 DT 400B enduro

Comment

yes it is coming out of the seal and not the vent. There was nothing around the vent. I was assuming the vent was blocked to force oil out of the seal like that.
                1981 XS 1100 SH

Comment

to verify that
                  take an air hose and put the nozzle into the filler hole
                  wrap a rag around it to seal it
                  and pressurize it and feel around the vent to check for air coming out
                  http://home.securespeed.us/~xswilly/
                  78E main ride, since birth the "good"
                  78E Parts, the "bad" fixing up now
                  78E Parts the "ugly" maybe next year
                  79F Parts
                  80G Parts
                  75 DT 400B enduro

Comment

i just beat you to it. after blowing in there at full pressure and getting a face full of oil, there is air coming out the vent. question now is how do i change the oil seal? strange though, there isn't oil all over the plastic guard like i thought there would be.
                    1981 XS 1100 SH

Comment

. question now is how do i change the oil seal?
                      Easy... if you don't follow the instructions.
                      The leaking seal should be the thick one that surrounds the splined hub. (not the "large" O-ring that seals the back plate of the final drive)
                      Remove the final drive unit from the bike. (might want to drain it first) Take a screwdriver and several pointy things and puncture/pry the old seal out. (don't scratch or otherwise damage the smooth surface of the splined hub) Lube the new seal and just press it back in place. (Take something soft and flat and tap around the seal to press it in flush with the housing)
                      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Working...
                      X