eliminated octopus-any negatives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eliminated octopus-any negatives?

I discovered my octopus does not shut off the fuel completely in the on postion with the engine off. I routinely set the petcocks to off when parked anyway. I just plugged the prime sides and ran from the #1 and #2 marked fittings on the petcocks to each bank of carbs. Does anyone see any issues with this? If I forgot to shut them off, say overnight, would enough fuel leak into the cylinders to contaminate the oil to the point it should be replaced?

Thanks.

That's what I did too, with the XSception of a crossover tube between the hoses going to the carbs. This way if I have to go to reserve I can flip the left lever immediately and get to the right one when time (and traffic) permit without running on only two cylinders
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Took mine out, Tee'd both sides together, ran two inline filters, and occasionally forget to turn them off, and haven't had any problems yet
      80' Xs eleven special "The Tank"

Comment

I have the oppsite problem. I keep forgetting to turn them back on and I end up dead in traffic waiting for the carbs to refill...

Geezer
        Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

What kind of in line filters...

did you use, that sounds like a great idea. Also getting rid of the octopus sure cleans things up under the tank. I am still messing with my idle screws to get rid of the popping during idle and deceleration and can get to them now without removing the tank.

Comment

Remember, the octopus has a safety aspect. Idea was that if you laid the bike down and the engine quit, the octopus would shut off fuel coming out of the tank. If this is not a concern, don't see any reason to bypass them. Mine still work fine, so they are still in place.
            Jerry Fields
            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
            '06 Concours
            My Galleries Page.
            My Blog Page.
            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Most motorcycle shops sell inline filters. I got mine at a lawn equipment shop, think they even say John Deere on them. Don't think there is a particular type or brand that is better then the next.

As for the popping during deceleration, check to ensure that your exhaust flanges are still tight. Or, if you have removed the exhaust system, invest in new exhaust gaskets.
              Brian
              1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
              1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
              remembering the same thing!

Comment

My popping sound went away with turning the air screws out one and a half turns. I pitched the octopus too and I run the prime setting to each carb on the other side. I just reset the odometer and fill up at 90 miles. No need for a reserve setting plus my low fuel light seems to work.

Ed
                79 XS1100SF
                78 YZ400E
                81 SR500
                79 RM250
                77 YZ400D
                05 RM250
                78 CR 250 Husky w/TT500 motor

Comment

I too have pitched the octopus. as long as your float needles are working properly, there should be no leaking in to the cylinders, but still not a bad idea to turn off the petcocks. I don't run on the prime-side though, cuz I don't want to always be sucking from the bottom of the tank. It's 25 years old you know.

I too have to fill up at about 90 miles. Kinda sucks compared to the distance a lot of the other guys I ride with can go. I justify it by knowing that I could easily beat them all to the destination if I wanted to.

That cross-over idea is pretty cool. It's not easy getting to both sides of the tank while surrounded by traffic. My low fuel light works too, but when it comes on I only have like 2 miles max before she cuts out. If I don't notice it, I'm fumbling for the petcocks.

Comment

I'm right there with Geezer. I have ditched my octo just to save a little time taking the carbs in and out, but I am great at shutting the fuel off after a ride.... and horrible at turning it back on. It hasn't happened in a critical situation yet.... but just shake my head and wanna kick myself when I do it.

Tod
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I hacked out the octupus too. No problems at all.

Ben
                      1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
                      1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
                      1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
                      1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
                      1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
                      1982 XS650
                      1980 XS1100g
                      1979 XS1100sf
                      1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

I can get just shy of 1/2 mile before I need to turn the fuel on. I have the crossover tube connecting the petcocks also, and I just ues one petcock to run on. I haven't had any fuel starvation issues, and if I think I'll need more fuel, I just open the other petcock. When the fuel light comes on, I turn the other petcock on and that will balance the fuel on either side of the tank, before I need to switch to reserve, at around 95 miles.

Comment

Dang John... lol.

I took off my octo to make things simpler on me. OK.. my light came on... have I switched that other petcock.. hmmm.. I guess if I haven't switched it, I still have "X" miles to go.. otherwise...

I'm a simple man. Both on... (Eventually! ) Both off. Get gas BEFORE my light comes on.. so I don't have to worry... or THINK about it! lol.

Tod
                          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100
                          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I removed the damn thing because no matter how I routed the lines one or another would pinch. I could have found the stock hose with the small OD but I found it a lot quicker to ditch the whole problem.

Geezer
                            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Sorry, I tried, I really tried to find this out without having to ask but just could not find it and I don't want to try to sync the carbs until I do find out.

Background; Gas in the airbox, I removed the Octopus, installed cross-over lines and in-line filters after cleaning a sticking leaking float needle valve. I then capped the prime side of the petcocks and then capped the vacuum port on the carb and routed a hose from the intake boot nipple to the vacuum booster under the tank.

Question; Is this the correct procedure for the booster? I now have a popping noise and the bike does not want to idle.

Thanks
                              82 XJ1100J "Jackel"
                              78 Honda CB750-74 Honda CB750
                              74 Husky 400
                              70 Yamaha 360 & 70 175 enduros

Comment

Working...
                              X