TCI for 1984 XJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TCI for 1984 XJ

Anyone have one they want to sell (Andreas)? I lost #1 and #4 cylinders and traced the problem back to the TCI. Called Yamaha but they are either back ordered or not available anymore. HELP. Not much fun riding a bike only running on 2 cylinders.

Darrell

Cokeman,

Have you tried the solder fix?

Check here:

Randy's XS page

Comment

Hey COkeman,

IF after testing, and resoldering, and that still doesn't get them fixed, you can get a different module from a company in Australia or New Zealand, I can't remember the exact location or name, but they make one that will work. You may NOT be able to get the full benefit of your vacuum advance sensor, but at least you'd be able to keep riding your machine on ALL 4 cylinders!

Do a search here on the FORUM, or someone else reading this may have the link, or know the name. One of the members installed it on his XJ. Had to get the correct plugs, they sent the wrong ones, but it did work!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks guy's. Used the tips on randy's site and found the problem. Used the end of a screwdriver and tapped the TCI. Right away it started firing on all 4. repaired and good to go.

Darrell

Comment

Good news, Darrell!

Comment

Darrel,
            You, like most of us here, now owe Randy a beer. The good news is he has to ride to your place to collect.
            Ray
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

PM me for my shipping address!

Comment

Randy: My TCI has gone south again. Not all the time but it does cut out intermittently. I am going to buy one of the ones from New Zealand. Are you still looking for an XJ box to work on? I will send you mine if you are interested. I really don't think there is that much wrong with it but I can't figure it out. Please let me know if ypou want me to send it to you for repair.

Darrell

Comment

My XJ did exactly the same thing yesterday. I lost spark to 2 and 3 plugs on the way home. Went through the testing process and the TCI is at fault. i tried the solder trick and that didn't work. I noticed one of the big transistors had melted the solder on the middle leg where it's soldered on the board. Tried re-soldering that and it's still not working I have only 2 volts at the grey wire (cyl 2&3) and since soldering the transistor ler I have dropped the voltage on the orange wire from 11V (ish) to 8V, and it's getting hot. I think it's fried.

Does anyone know if a different model TCI can be made to work on the 1100?

Pete

Comment

Pete,

There is a reason the TCI fried. Before you install another one, find the cause or the new one will go likewise.

The symptom you describe could only be caused by a very high amp draw through the transistors.Check your Orange/Grey wiring to the coils to make sure there are no frayed wires that may have shorted to the frame. Does the XJ use a ballast resistor? Could be shorted.

Not sure if the New Zealand TCI works on the XJ, but I think Maximan installed one? Do a search for "New Zealand" and "TCI".

Unfortunately, because the XJ (and '81 -84 XS) TCI's have advance circuitry on the board, I don't fix 'em. There. I've said it. There's something I don't fix. Ouch.

Comment

The XJ doesn't have a ballast, but it does have a thing on the wiring diagram called a "boost unit". I'll find out what that is and take a look (could be the map sensor). I'll chase along the loom and check for frays. I already tested the coils and they check out ok.

Thanks for the advise Randy.

Comment

The boost sensor is attached to a manifold vacuum port on one side and the TCI on the other. It purpose is to act as a vacuum advance, monitoring the vacuum and outputting a signal to the TCI. The TCI takes this signal as one factor and sets the timing advance.

Check the vacuum hose between the sensor and manifold, and check the wiring between the bost sensor and harness. Clean the electrical contacts. This is not an item that fails often. Even in a full failure mode you would still have the static advance built into the system and the bike would run. Trust me...I just fixed a broken wire on mine, don't know how long it was kiboshed, but probably rode a few thousand miles that way.....
                        Jerry Fields
                        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                        '06 Concours
                        My Galleries Page.
                        My Blog Page.
                        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Cheers Jerry - but I have lost all spark. Had some quality help, and a guy in the UK is sending me a pair of replacement transistors. I found the info on it here:

http://www.jetav8r.com/Vision/TCIReb...I_Rebuild.html

The vision/virago use the same transistors that are in the 4Ro TCI, and it's quite common for them to fail. I'm going to fit two replacement transistors and see where that gets me.

Pete.

Comment

Just a check...you mention the 4RO TCI; the XJ TCI part number starts with 10M, complete number is 10M-82305-10-00. Type is TID14-10, so look for the type number on your box. The 4RO version is from an '81, they are plug-compatible but differ in timing curve and other aspects. Those who have tried running the 4RO on the XJ have reported poor results. This assumes you have the XJ motor; if an engine swap was done and you have an XS motor in the XJ frame this box is OK. Motor number will start with 10M if it is an XJ unit.

I don't know if the transistors are the same; probably are, or at least comparable specs. However, using the 4RO on an XJ is a mis-match and you will want to either find an XJ version or get the imported unit to replace the 4RO.
                            Jerry Fields
                            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                            '06 Concours
                            My Galleries Page.
                            My Blog Page.
                            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Jerry you are quite right, mine is a 10M. I've fitted two new transistors and it's no better - in fact ist's worse since I now have no spark on any cylinders.

Oh well.

Comment

Working...
                              X