ignition coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ignition coils

rebuilding my 79 xs11 special and need to find a pair of coils. I don't really want to replace them with old original ones off of ebay due to the age of those electrical components. I would rather find a pair of aftermarket that will bolt right onto my bike. Any ideas of where I can buy a pair?
    Thanks

Here's what I did:

My Dyna coil project

Others have used Accel coils effectively
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Pat, that's a real good step by step post!
      80 SG
      81 SH in parts
      99 ST1100
      91 ST1100

Comment

Another Alternative

Hey Firecopter,

Another choice with a better budget is the following post I made a while back:
        Hey Folks,

Been shopping and comparing stuff on MikesXS, and found an interesting item. In the 80-84 model 650's, they went to the TCI style ignition, and so the replacement coils for them are dual posts....waste spark style, and have same Ohms as the 80-81 series XS11. The mounting holes are 90 degrees off from how the XS11 mounts vs. the location of the high tension outputs, but they are a darn sight CHEAPER ($28.00 ea!)than the Accel or Dyna aftermarkets, don't need a ballast resistor....so with the 78-79's, just bypass the resistor. Here's a model # and picture: Part #17-6803

High Output Replacement Ignition Coil - for 80-84 XS650’s with Factory TCi ignition (dual lead - 1 used per bike ). Used on 80-84 models Only, and is Not for contact point systems. Mounts to stock brackets. Plug Wires not included. Not for use with Boyer Ignitions. Mount this coil to stock bracket on opposite side and with high tension plug wires facing to front of bike ( Red/White wire from stock harness goes to + terminal on coil).
        That was the description text from Mike'sXS. Ours mount with the leads to the rear.
        Just add leads and plug caps, and they should be fairly plug and play! Just an FYI...and possible future tech tip/link!
        BTW, you can also get the replacement wires and plug caps as well from there!
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I need two coils and was wondering if anyone has actually tried this yet.

Comment

Yes Meatloaf,

I know/remember one telling me about doing this, can't recall his handle right at the moment, but worked just fine, they are just as good as OEM!

Found him, his handle was Panshovel. He thought they were bad or got messed up after he had solder slip on connectors to the priimary leads, cause his multimeter wouldn't measure the resistance properly.....per Randy, was probably due to a DIGITAL MM, they don't always read as well as ANALOG! He installed them, and they worked just fine!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
            X