engine flush and what oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine flush and what oil

ok guys i am doing the maintance on my bike this weekend and last summer i ran the moble one syntatic threw it and now i got a slipping clutch and i was told to run the engine flush threw it to clean out the motor is that going to cause any problem with leaks or anything.

second thing is what brand of oil does everybody is i am looking at using a 20-50 oil but dont know what brand to go with. a auto type of oil or a oil made for motorcycles or what to use
    79 yamaha xs1100f standard
    best 1/4 mile 13.282@99.40

Castrol 20W50.

Using it in my bikes since '75. Never had a problem.

Comment

i buy the lowest priced sl rated 20-50 and so far no problems at $1.69 per quart...
      "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
      History
      85 Yamaha FJ 1100
      79 yamaha xs1100f
      03 honda cbr 600 f4
      91 yamaha fzr 600
      84 yamaha fj 1100
      82 yamaha seca 750
      87 yamaha fazer
      86 yamaha maxim x
      82 yamaha vision
      78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

sounds good know i know what to look for when i go to buy the oil this weekend for the bikes thank you guys

Comment

Engine Flush

What kind of engine flush do you recommend?
          80 XS11 SG
          79 XS750 SF
          74 KZ400
          78 KZ650
          78 KZ750

Comment

Re: Engine Flush

Originally posted by CUBuffs
            What kind of engine flush do you recommend?
            None. Flushing an engine with solvent is asking for bearing damage. If anything just change the oil more often (every 1000~15500 miles) and sooner or later the case will be all clean inside.

Geezer
            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Geezer, thanks for clearing that up.
              80 XS11 SG
              79 XS750 SF
              74 KZ400
              78 KZ650
              78 KZ750

Comment

thanks man wont run the flush threw it just will start changing the oil more often

Comment

You're not the first one to fall prey to the hype about flushing out engines.

One of the local oil change places that I like to call "moron lube" pushes it off on all their customers as an extra cost add on service. I had a coupon for a discount oil change at moron lube and they used Castol so I thought I'd give them a try.

After they told me my engine needed to be flushed out, I asked them if the were going to replace my crankshaft bearings next week when they went out from the solvent. I got only dumb looks back. I got out and watched everything they did under the hood. I told them any one dumb enough to recommend flushing the engine needed to be watched to make sure they didn't do anything else stupid.

I ‘m about as welcome back there as I am likely to return...

Geezer

Comment

"Flush that sh!t"

I have torn apart and rebuilt many an engine, and have yet to see one that needed to be flushed. When you pull the valve cover to adjust valves, if there's no crud caked on there like on old abused Chevy, there's no reason to flush.
                    "Insta Flush" Four quarts of oil and 6 quarts of gasoline. (Owner had bad float needles and left the petcock on prime. That's got to be one clean engine inside)

Castrol 20w50
                    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

couldn't agree more

got my 79' special with 1.5+ gallons of gasoil in it. When I pulled the pan to check 2nd gear everything was so clean and shiny. :-D

Comment

Re: couldn't agree more

Originally posted by CWilliamson
                        got my 79' special with 1.5+ gallons of gasoil in it. When I pulled the pan to check 2nd gear everything was so clean and shiny. :-D
                        how are your bearings, is gas in the oil guaranteed to score the bearings?
                        "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                        History
                        85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                        79 yamaha xs1100f
                        03 honda cbr 600 f4
                        91 yamaha fzr 600
                        84 yamaha fj 1100
                        82 yamaha seca 750
                        87 yamaha fazer
                        86 yamaha maxim x
                        82 yamaha vision
                        78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

couldn't tell you...

I'm still rebuilding it. :-(

previous owner thought he would get into the old bike rebuild/resell business and decided that 4 cylinders was 3 too many to learn on to start with. I started it, rode it around the block to check 2nd gear, parked it and it hasn't been run since (I had owned a xs850 prior so knew there could be gasoil). Still working out the kinks in the carbs, removing the octopus, etc...should be running in a few weeks so will let you know.

Clark

Comment

Re: Re: couldn't agree more

Originally posted by mason79
                            how are your bearings, is gas in the oil guaranteed to score the bearings?
                            Gas in the oil isn't the same as running a flushing solvent through the enigne to clean it out. With gas/oil mix, at least there is still oil in it. No, it's not good the the engine but it's not the worst either.

Geezer

Comment

the flushes i was looking at using you still have the oil in your engine you just added it to the engine let run for 5 min then drain the oil and let drain for 15 min then put new filter and new oil and adjust the clutch and your ready to go

Comment

Working...
                              X