Ah, the infamous carb boots, help??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah, the infamous carb boots, help??

Well after spending several hours digging through search topics last night looking for various options for replacing my carb-to-engine boots, im still pretty much sitting where I was yesterday at this time.

I was out on a ride last night and came to the conclusion that I have a plugged pilot jet. Once home I was checking over the carbs and what not, I noticed that my #3 boot is ruptured on the bottom, almost like what automotive coolant hoses look like when they pop. After a squirt of starting fluid the the rpms jumped so I know it is leaking.

Now, the question is, where is the best place to get them, I saw parts n more, some yamaha OEM parts options, etc. etc. etc.

I need to replace one, so I might as well do them all, as they are really starting to flex so Im sure they are on the last legs.

Parts N More was $90 no shipping, anybody else have anything comparable to that?

Thanks, sorry to add another topic to the list about the boots, but it was really the only way to clarify things.
    Bauer
    1980 XS 1100 SG (The 3rd Degree) - The Cafe' Racer
    Image Photos @ http://photobucket.com/albums/f230/BauersXS11/
    1980 XS1100 G (The Trouble Maker)
    Fully stock and still goin at 65k miles

That sounds like a good price for the boots. I paid $135 for a set Last year, but that included installation. Burl
    '79 XS Eleven Special
    "Dirty White Boy"
    "Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not watching you!"

Comment

Burl, where did you pick yours up? Local yamaha dealer, or offline somewhere?
      Bauer

Comment

Check ebay. They almost always have a set for about $90.

Ed Z.
        It's an 80 LG My Midnight Ride
        81 XJ650 MAXIM The Preachers Bike (Gone but not forgotten)
        82 KZ 305 CSR Training Wheels (now my daughters)
        82 GS 850 GL SWMBO's (HER RIDE)

'He who wanders is not always lost."

Comment

Yeah, that's about the same price as you'll find them on Ebay, except like you said... Partsnmore has no shipping on over 40 bucks or something.

Another option would be to put a coating on them like RTV or plasti-dip as some have done to get you by until you see something on Ebay. I bought a complete motor for $130 that was close enough to drive and get, so if you ran into something like that that had the boots on it... you'd get the motor for 40 bucks more!

You also might talk to andreashweiss on here and see what he gets for a decent set of used ones if that interests you. Good Luck.

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

boots

Hey Bauer I have a set of 4 brand new ones. I bought them for my baby but that jerk a*$$ drove over it so now I don't need them. $75 + ship and they're yours.

woodbutcher
            y

Comment

Hey woodbutcher,

One question and ill take em,
              Where did you get them? Are they yamaha OEM or aftermarket?

How do you want the money? Do you have a paypal address? or would you prefer check/money order?
              Bauer

Comment

I just bit the bullet and ordered some Sunday from partsnmore. I figured thats better then some used ones and have the same problem again.
                79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
                79 SF parts bike.

Comment

carb boot

The carb boots I have are yammie parts 2H7-1 & 2H7-2
                  Let me know

woodbutcher

Comment

whats shipping to ND zip 58540?

why dont we carry this over to email. Im going to have limited internet access for a few days here so Ill be in my email more often than anywhere else.

supercruzin_02@hotmail.com

Thanks. Ill take em.
                    Bauer

Comment

I just came out of a few weeks of denial and ordered new after market boots.They were about 60% what OEM were,though they only come in sets of four.Yamaha will sell either configuration separately.Replacing all four is the way to go though,as I now believe that the bulk of the failing is hairline cracks on the inner face by the engine making them hard to see.Mine starts faltering at about 50% acceleration.When they are completely beat the bike will only idle on full choke and only pick up her RPMs in gobs of about a 1000 rpm at a time.

Comment

Working...
                      X