Newly Acquired xj1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newly Acquired xj1100

Hi guys! It's been a while since I asked you guys for help with my xs11 - which was great - but I have a new pony in the stable that I am going to try and fix up for my wife.

I found this xj 1100 for next to nothing. The major problem is that someone dumped it in a field and the front forks are tweaked. It doesn't look as if anything is bent or broken except the left mirror is gone, and the mounting hole has one side broken off. The rest of the bike is in very good shape, and it even runs after sitting a year or two in a garage.

My question is how to get the front end straightened out???????
    It looks as if the forks turned in the brackets, but the fork tubes still look straight. The front wheel is cocked at about 11 o'clock when the handle bars are straight.

Are there any tricks here that can straighten things out without breaking anything? Maybe a stout board thru the forks and a mighty yank? Maybe if I can dump it on the other side and even things out?

I'm sure someone has faced this before, so any help would be appreciated. I got this bike for almost nothing, and I really don't have money to spend on it right now, so a new front end is not under consideration at this point.

Sam - Still ridin' the xs11.
    Last edited by fbcaf; 05-07-2006, 03:16 PM.
    Pastor Sam - Son Light Rider CMA
    Former GL1200 rider
    Owned by '80 XS11 G-Guardian Angel
    Yep, I got a @#$%^&
    xj 1100 Maxim

Loosen off all the triple tree bolts and you'll probably be able to twist it back into alignment with just a slender board through the spokes. Have a read through this thread , especially on page 2, for a more detailed sequence from Ratbyk.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

I actually had the same problem w/my bike. I just grabbed both handle bars from the side the tire had turned to, put my foot on the front edge of the tire anded pulled. Staightened it right out. Next thing to do is make sure the down tubes are secure in the triple tree. Good Luck
      "Beware of any man that owns a pig farm"
      "Hence the meaning of the Saying,.. As greedy as a pig"
      79 XS1100 modified standard
      Chain Drive, Monoshock,extendend hand built swingarm, 200 rear
      pod filters,150 mains,45 pilots
      straight pipe 4-2 exhaust
      new to me 05 Kawasaki zxr12r man does she fly
      Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna
      Owned 02 Vstar 650 classic
      owned 85 Honda Shadow VT 700C

Comment

Thanks guys, for the responses. It is great to be able to pick the brains of those who've been there. I know if I went to the local dealer I would have to mortgage something to pay for it.

As soon as the rain lets up, we'll have a go at it and I'll let you know when we get it going. I will probably need more help with other stuff that comes up, so don't go far!

Sam
        Pastor Sam - Son Light Rider CMA
        Former GL1200 rider
        Owned by '80 XS11 G-Guardian Angel
        Yep, I got a @#$%^&
        xj 1100 Maxim

Comment

Working...
        X