Speedo Cable Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo Cable Problems

So I was out for a ride the other day when all of a sudden the speedo stoped working... Tach still was fine, took off the front tire pulled the cable and sure enough it was broken. Called the local Yamaha dealership asked for a speedo cable for a 1980 XS 1100. Just got it today however its different from the one thats on the bike... there are no threads to screw it onto the tire.... did I just buy the wrong cable??

your sleeve might be upside down maybe. You threaded end goes on the bottom of the speedo, and the other end slides into the little gear dealyo on the tire, then there is a set screw that holds it in place...if your still lost, I will post a picture for ya, but I hope that makes sence to you
    80' Xs eleven special "The Tank"

Comment

Well Im pretty sure i have the wrong cable...

Comment

pull the little spinning thing-a-ma-jig out of your new cable, and toss it in the old one? that might work, the ends look the same, as long as it's the right lenght. Would also take the old one into the dealer and tell them to get their chit together. If that still gets you no where, send me a PM, I have a spare for an 80 special, that I will let go for a pair of round two oilers tickets...

Comment

The length is correct... I already called the dealer... they informed me that I made an ordering error and will not take the part back because I opend the package.. lol..

I dont think I will be able to pull the thing out of the centre, but I will try as this cable is useless.... waited a friggen week for the wrong part....

Comment

did you tell the dealer to go screw theirselfs? I would honestly go talk to the manager / owner at the yamabandit that pulled that stunt. Do you know what make and model the cable is for bro? could always ebay it up.

Comment

Speedo drive

I have a few spare drives on hand, and the one that I removed from a 78 E had threads on the drive where the cable attaches. It seems some of the older bikes had that type of speedo drive. My Specials, and the two XJ's that I parted out were of the type that used a bolt to secure the cable to the drive. I just checked my stock, and I no longer have the type that you are looking for. I sold it already. I just checked YamaMama's parts site, and the Standard, and Special use differennt speedo drives and cables.
              The Standard uses the cable that threads on both ends, and the Special uses the cablethat is secured with a bolt. If the cables are the same length, then just use the new cable in the old sheath. Make sure to lube it well with a thin lube. Thick lube will solidfy in cold weather.

Comment

So it is possible to get the actual cable out of the sheeth without wrecking it? Any tricks I should know about?

Comment

My experience with these cables has been that one end, usually the speedo end, will have a retainer that won't allow the cable to slip down should the cable become detached at the drive, but the lower end of the cable has no such retainer, and you should be able to pull it out of the top of the sheath.

Comment

Working...
                  X