2nd gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd gear

how can you tell if you need the 2nd gear fix? and whats the average cost for parts?
    79 xs1100 standard
    76 kz900 <now 1015
    Terry Meyer

When you try to accelerate in second, it feels like a chain is skipping. It will be sort of a jerky feel at first, and progress to the bike going into neutral. You can hold off the repair for a short while, shifting from first to third.
    Parts are cheap, if you catch it early, and do the "second gear fix" as described in the Tech Tips on the left side of the page. Expect a two day time to do it, but you do not have to remove the engine from the bike.
    I did mine by draining all oils, pulling the seat, tank, and battery, and flipping the bike on it's back. If you set it on something about 18", it will be at a good work level.
    I diid the "dremel fix" on first, second, and the washer swap on second. I've put about 6K miles on it, and have had no problems.
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Lots of people have talked about flipping the bike over.

How the heck do you do that, not to mention not wrecking something in the process?
      80 SG
      81 SH in parts
      99 ST1100
      91 ST1100

Comment

I had help from my son, and I unbolted the gauges so I could keep them out of the way. I also pulled the turn signals on the side I was going to lay it down on.
        I then layed it down to the handlebar, set up the "stand" I was going to use, and had my son help as I lifted the wheels and roll it on it's back. I just reversed the procedure to get it upright once again.
        Ray
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

i can cheat and lift the whole bike with my engine hoist
          and thanks for the info
          79 xs1100 standard
          76 kz900 <now 1015
          Terry Meyer

Comment