pilot jet 78 xs standard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey AudiJUnky,

The stock jets are 42.5. You'll want to evaluate your mains though. Are you running stock pipes and airbox, or do you have any mods, like aftermarket pipes, Indy filters or K&N style air filter? IF so, then you may need to go up on the mains a few steps!?
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hey fellas, I have already ordered new ones. Yes they did have #s on them after I cleaned off all the gunk. They were 42.5 as someone had mentioned. I appreciate all the help. This is the greatest forum ever. Most the forums I've signed up for if you ask a question 40 people will look at it but nobody will reply. You guys rule.
      "Beware of any man that owns a pig farm"
      "Hence the meaning of the Saying,.. As greedy as a pig"
      79 XS1100 modified standard
      Chain Drive, Monoshock,extendend hand built swingarm, 200 rear
      pod filters,150 mains,45 pilots
      straight pipe 4-2 exhaust
      new to me 05 Kawasaki zxr12r man does she fly
      Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna
      Owned 02 Vstar 650 classic
      owned 85 Honda Shadow VT 700C

Comment

Het TopCat,
        My bike is completely stock right now.(I believe) I plan on independent filters and some exhaust work but right now I just want to get her runnin. I found a section on jetting reccomendations on this site and prited it off for future use. its under the Mods section/caburetors&fuel system. If you think this is a good guideline let me know. So far I have got Carb.#4 back together #3 waiting to be assembled #2 soaking in chem dip and #1 awaiting its bath. I have lost on off the springs that spring back the choke slide. Does anyone think it will matter if it is missing? I am gonna have to look harder when I get home from work to try and find it (I am such A dumba__) Any way thanks for all the help.
        Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna

Comment

I have lost one off the springs that spring back the choke slide. Does anyone think it will matter if it is missing?
          Audijunky,

If by that you mean the tiny spring / ball for the choke rod detent, you needn't worry. I've been running with only one for a couple of years without issues.

On the other hand, if you mean one of the springs inside the carb that works on the enrichener plunger, that's not good. Without that spring, that carb will run rich as the plunger will hang open a bit.

Comment

I am not to familiar with carberator terms.So I'll try to explain. The part that the choke pieces connect to on the carb. Its the brass piece that slides horizontal to the ground.it has a nut with a rubber boot that holds it in the carb. If you take the nut off the rubber boot comes with it and a spring pops out behind it. the brass piece behind the spring is about 3 inches long and the part that sticks out of the carb is smaller in diameter than the piece that is inside the cab. This is the spring that I lost. I hope this clarifies it a little more. I really hope I can find it or do not need it . THanks fellas Thanks for the feedback Randy
            Last edited by audijunky; 05-08-2006, 07:56 AM.
            Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna

Comment

On the other hand, if you mean one of the springs inside the carb that works on the enrichener plunger, that's not good. Without that spring, that carb will run rich as the plunger will hang open a bit.
              That's the spring i was referring to. You do need it.

Bikebandit.com has it listed as available:

51: SPRING,PLUNGER
              (LEFT) [SPRING,PLUNGER] 17821-001 $4.98

Comment

Hey Steve,

That jetting guide is pretty good, especially for the earlier model bikes.

Just noticed your signature line! Yeah, several recent newbies are in the same boat, being younger than their bike. Then there are the guys like me who are 2 or more times OLDER than their bike!!

BTW, you said you were soaking your carbs! I hope you're NOT soaking them with the butterfly shaft seals still in place?? The carb dip will destroy/shrink them and give you massive air leaks, not good!!
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Of course I am soaking the carbs w/the butterfly seal on it still. I am such an idiot. By butterfly seal do you mean the brass plate inside the carb that the throttle cable control. If this is the part then I am a tard.
                  Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna

Comment

Yes. aka "throttle plate." The seals are where the axles pass through the body. If they swell and restrict motion, try soaking them (carbs) in mineral spirits (worked for me).

Originally posted by audijunky
                    Of course I am soaking the carbs w/the butterfly seal on it still. I am such an idiot. By butterfly seal do you mean the brass plate inside the carb that the throttle cable control. If this is the part then I am a tard.
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                    X