Primary chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primary chain

Is there any maintainance on the primary chain? My bike has a slapping noise coming from the crank area. I am sure it is not a rod bearing. I still have good oil pressure and the noise can only be heard at an idle. I can run through all the gears at 7k shifts and no noise at all. Roll on and off throttle and no noise at all. I can do WOT for extended periods and no noise.I cant explain the noise. As said before it only exsists at an idle. It is a thump thump thump noise. Could a bad transmission bearing make this noise?
    Dan ( A.K.A.- MacGyver )

http://www.xs11.com/tips/maintenance/maint10.shtml

Did you read this bit on adjusting the tensioner?

No clue what could be causing the noise - I'm new, and my bike makes weird noises too, but not a "thump thump", more of a "tick tick".

Good luck man, hope adjusting the cam chain tensioner helps.

-Kris
    Kristoffer
    "Take apart yer carbs!"
    1978 XS1100E - "The Maroon Baboon" (SOLD)
    1979 XS1100 (3 of them) in the garage. Not deserving of names yet.

Comment

My "F" of 105K miles has the same noise. I believe it to be the Primary Chain also. I have a "SF" that only has 20K on it and I don't hear the noise. My “F” has a “loose” feeling. There does not seem to be as positive link to the rear wheel and as my “SF”. The “SF” feels very tight in that respect.

There is no adjustment. Probably not a serious problem either (just annoying). I plan to rebuild my motor soon. Is the Primary Chain still available?
      DZ
      Vyger, 'F'
      "The Special", 'SF'
      '08 FJR1300

Comment

Slap happy!

Sorry DennyZ and Excess11,

The Primary chains are NOT available, so about all we can do is rob from broken machines!?

There was a thread, and someone suggested about trying to put in a tensioner like the cam chain, problem is it would need to be from the TOP side, since the bottom is under tension during throttle!?

Mostly, just have to live with it! Don't worry, be "Slap" Happy!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

That is what I suspected.
          The Primary chains are NOT available, so about all we can do is rob from broken machines!?
          DZ
          Vyger, 'F'
          "The Special", 'SF'
          '08 FJR1300

Comment

I have two spare primary chains out of low mileage xs1100's yes they are avaliable from me andreashweiss@yahoo.com $20.00 includes shipping.

Comment

Well, just for interest, this hyvo on the left has done over 150,000 kilometres (close to 100,000 miles) and there's no visual wear on it, but compared to the brand new chain on the right, the old one has a fair bit more flex as you can see, but even so, it was still tolerably quiet and the cogs it rode on were still in tip-top condition.

Comment

Here's some links and photos to what I found on the triples site:

http://www.cbmma.net/Henrik/Explanat...sign_modified/

Someone made a modification

And it evolves

If ours is comming in from the top then there's less of an oil leakage issue.

The original attempt (on Henriks website) uses the stock camchain tensioner from an XS750/850

Someone mentioned that we just want to remove the slack, not put the chain under tension.
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Thanks Pat,

I have a couple of opened motors, maybe I can come up with something.
                  DZ
                  Vyger, 'F'
                  "The Special", 'SF'
                  '08 FJR1300

Comment

What I learned

After close inspection of a 2H motor, there is no way the primary chain can slap the bottom of the case.

Two reasons, the closest case component to the chain is around 25mm away and the way the motor rotates, pulls the chain tight across the bottom.

The chain does ride very close to the top of the case (~6-8mm). There is a guide (looks like rubber) attached to the top of the case the chain runs in/on. It is possible the chain can slap the guide if it is worn or the chain is stretched significantly. Access to this area of the motor is exteremely difficult. I could not even get close enough for a good picture.

It looks like if the primary chain is thumping the top, there is no practical way to eleminate the noise. I am not convinced the chain could even be making the noise. The motor I have open has 72K miles on it and I can't see enough flex in the chain to cause a problem.

If and when I split the case, I will get a better look and some pictures.
                    DZ
                    Vyger, 'F'
                    "The Special", 'SF'
                    '08 FJR1300

Comment

The XS triples get so much slop in the Hy Vo chain that the kick starter goes through half it's stroke just taking-up slack.
                      Pat Kelly
                      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Interesting. Since very few people ever kick start an XS11, how would we know? I think I will give that a try on my 20K mile 'SF' and my 105K mile 'F' and see if I can tell the difference.

The XS triples get so much slop in the Hy Vo chain that the kick starter goes through half it's stroke just taking-up slack.
                        DZ
                        Vyger, 'F'
                        "The Special", 'SF'
                        '08 FJR1300

Comment

.. i have had this same noise, the noise could be the clutch basket, the noise it makes when the carbs are out of sync and the idle is to low

Comment

UPDATE to Availability of Primary Chain!

Hey folks,

Was doing seardh for XJ1100J air filter, and was perusing Partsnmore site, was checking ALL of the subcategories since they sometimes put parts in odd sections, and found this item!
                            PRIMARY CHAIN
                            Fits: XS1100 (78-81) All Models, XJ1100 (1982) Maxim.
                            OEM Reference # 2H7-16139-02
                            Made in Japan.

$169.00US EA.

Part#01-0303
                            They didn't show a photo, and surprisingly it's NOT listed in the XS1100 sections, only the XJ1100J section!?!?

SO.....at least now we can replace one IF it gets too worn and loose and slapping!
                            T.C.
                            T. C. Gresham
                            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                            History shows again and again,
                            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I am getting the idea that the triples engines run the opposite rotation of the 11s. If this is true, can a middle drive from a triple be put on an 11 to make the driveshaft rotate the opposite direction? I would like to build a trike, and this would put the rotation in the correct direction for a car rear drive.
                              put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
                              79 F (Blueballs)
                              79 SF (Redbutt)
                              81 LH (organ donor)
                              79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
                              76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
                              rover has spoken

Comment

Working...
                              X