78 XS11 with pods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 78 XS11 with pods?

Having read some of the older threads, I've gotten the impression that there is some sort of issue with using pod filters on a 78, something to do with the float bowl snorkel..?

Was there any final consensus on whether it'd be doable for me to get pod filters, or should I just hold out and try to track down a bycicle to get to work over the next week until my airbox arrives? (selling my car on friday)

Cheers,
    Kris
    Kristoffer
    "Take apart yer carbs!"
    1978 XS1100E - "The Maroon Baboon" (SOLD)
    1979 XS1100 (3 of them) in the garage. Not deserving of names yet.

we shall see....

Well, I bought 'em anyway - I'm going to try my butt off to get this bike up and running this weekend. (if the parts come by then - I sure hope so). Hopefully I can get it to work.

I'm not planning on re-jetting, but from what I've read, that's not a HUGE problem.
    Kristoffer
    "Take apart yer carbs!"

Comment

Hey Knewsom,

See this thread:Jetting questions, Pod Filters .

Should help answer questions about the pods, and what you can do IF they don't behave!!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

GRACIAS, TC!

Excellent! I hadn't found that thread, but found a couple others, mostly full of complaints, but no solutions! Good reference there.

I'm wondering what year bike you have, and if I should be on the lookout when I GET my filters as to how close they are to the float bowl vents.

Perhaps another solution would be to trim a portion of the lip from the inside of the filter, just enough to allow free airflow to the vent?

Thanks again, I'm stoked I bought them, and can't wait for them to arrive.

-Kris

PS: anyone know how long it takes to get parts from partsnmore typically?
        Kristoffer
        "Take apart yer carbs!"

Comment

Knewsom,

Yes, trimming the overhang from in front of the ports is an option, you may want to apply some RTV on the remaining filter rubber and metal filter holder, cause with these filters, that lip is part of what holds the filter to the mounting rubber. I had planned on doing the trimming, the filter cone has a junction seam, and I was going to position that seem at direct bottom, so after trimming the rubber with that seam at the bottom, you can position the filters and the cutouts in the right place by using that outer seam!

Mine's an 81, but they all have similar location of ports in the carb throats!

PNM usually ships via UPS, 3-5 days providing they have what you ordered in stock!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Cheers - I like the idea of cutting it so that you have an external guide - perhaps it'd be even better to make small nubs that fit into the sides of the vent, so that when you put the filter on the carb, it fits perfectly into place and can't shift due to vibration.

...I'm not sure I like the idea of putting much extra weight on the carb boots, which is why I'm leaning towards cutting the lip instead of using your extension technique (even though all that steel and rubber looked pretty wicked), bringing the weight of the filter closer to the fulcum - where the boots attach to the engine.

Perhaps a length of springy wire bent at an angle and extending a bit past the base of the rubber, so that it kindof "grips" the vent tube.

...just thinkin' out loud - if anyone has any other ideas, feel free to chime in - I'll definitely post pictures of whatever I end up implimenting.

-Kris
            Kristoffer
            "Take apart yer carbs!"

Comment

Working...
            X