the response from motion pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the response from motion pro

The following is my message to motion pro about thier shim tool and then thier response.

I purchased the Yamaha valve shim tool #08-0020 new through Dennis Kirk about six months ago. I tried using it yesterday and today for the first time and have not had any success. I have tried every possibility and have come to the conclusion that this tool will not work for my motorcycle. I have a 1981 Yamaha XS1100. According to the catalog listing this tool is the one for my bike. I belong to a motorcycle group specific to my kind of bike and other members have also mentioned the same problem that I am having. Is this the tool recommended for my motorcycle? Is there something that can be done to replace this tool with a working one?

Thank you,
    Glenn Shantz

I do not have a specific application tool for your XS1100, our tool in our catalog is defined as fitting MOST DOHC Yamahas, but not all. It is impossible for us to do application work for 20 year old motorcycles, it is a big enough job just with current models! We cannot be responsible for a listing in a distributors catalog. If you feel you need to return it, you must talk with Dennis Kirk.

Chris Van Andel
    Motion Pro/Braking USA
    Race Support
    650-594-9600

These guys must sell a lot on ebay. Notice their disclaimer. "will fit most DOHC Yamahas". In other words, you do the research.

reguarding valve tool

Not to helpful were they!...Thanks for the warning

Comment

BTW, I did send this message on to Dennis Kirk as well.

Comment

Perhaps an email addy where a couple hundred irratable XSers can express our concern . . .
        CUAgain,
        Daniel Meyer
        Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
        Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

I sent my original message to

mpinfo@motionpro.com

Chris Van Andel was the very helpful person to respond

chrisv@motionpro.com

Let them know what you think!

Comment

Many thanks

Many thanks to all. I have been considering the purchase of one of those "fine" tools, but after reading the posts on this subject, it looks like y'all have saved me a bit of money and a WHOLE LOT of frustration. Man, I love this forum. More help than ever I can repay!!!!
            I'm the Person my Parents Warned me about.

Comment

I've heard several people mentioning grinding some part of the tool to make it function. Perhaps someone could photo-document the tool modification procedure so that it could become a tech tip?

Comment

I didn't document the modification procedure, but I did document the finished product. I also forwarded the pics and short description of what I had done.... think it was last year. Guess it wasn't enough.
                Brian
                1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
                1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
                remembering the same thing!

Comment

I purchased Motion Pro part # P517 Yam Valve Shim Tool VN -P# 08-020 from my local shop, and it works on my '78 E. Havn't tried it on the 82 XJ, Is this the part that Dennis Kirk is selling?

Comment

Yes. That is the part number. I think it is more of a quality control problem with motion pro. I borrowed the Yamaha tool from a local mechanic and had no problem with any of the valves. I spent over an hour trying to make the motion pro tool work.
                    When I hold them side by side they look identical. Again, the nib on the end of the Yamaha tool is just a little bit longer. That makes the difference.

Comment

MP valve shim too...

just a new reply to an old thread, but sparky asked whether the Motion Pro Valve shim tool would work on an XJ and I would have to say YES-- I used mine quite successfully for both my 82 XJ and on Keith's 78 XS..
                      Carolyne

Comment

the tool worked fine for me on the 81H, too. i think the problem is confined to 79's only. naturally, thats what i have now...
                        - dan
                        - thinker57@lycos.com
                        - SF/H/E/HD "Stray Bullet"

Comment

In my last message to motion pro I suggested that the problem was possibly quality control. I have an 81H and the tool would not work on any of the valves. I borrowed the original Yamaha valve tool from a local mechanic and it work on all valves without a problem. If you put the tools next to each other, the only difference is the little nib on the end of the Yamaha tool is a little longer.

Comment

Here I go again. I have the same tool and I had some difficulty at first and got a little frustrated. Then I remembered what my second wife always said when I was trying to train one of our dogs. "You gotta be smarter than the dog." I was ready to toss the tool- but took one more shot and watched what was happening as I tightened the locking bolt. The tool has a tendency to turn as you finally tighten the bolt. Take a screwdriver or small prybar and hold the tool from sliding as you tighten the bolt. The tool has to stay parallel with the edge of the head and also must be positioned dead center with the valve follower. It is definitely tricky. The tool looks exactly like the tool in my factory xj1100 manual. I hope you have a manual to follow, because it really cautions you of avoiding cracking the cylinder head. I have adjusted valves on thousands of vehicles from 911
                            porsches on down and this one make me sweat more than any. If I can help you any way other than buying the tool from you let me know. It ain't easy, brother.

xjguy and the cycle known as "gone with the wind"

BTW: motion-pro probably doesn't have as strict of QC as yamaha

Comment

Hey, I appreciate your concern, but I am done. I used the Yamaha tool to swap out all the shims without any problems. Then I bought the tool from the Yamaha mechanic at a very reasonable price. I did try the motion pro tool a couple times during the procedure and it still didn't work. A good tool is supposed to help make the job easier. The moition pro only increased the frustration level. I am a very patient man and I don't give up easily. If at first I can't get something to work, I figure it is operator error. After trying for over an hour on one valve, it was obvious it was the tool and not me. One other thought did occur to me. The top of the engine where the tool sits only has to be perfectly flat accross for the machine fit of the cam cover. The height may very within a tollerance. This may be why the tool works for some and not for others.

Thanks,
                              Glenn
                              81H

Comment

Working...
                              X