Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TeXSive Day Ride

Well, we did it again!

Pathfinder, Hippe Dave and I went out for a day ride today, March 26th. The weather was perfect, sunny, low 70's and a little breeze. We met again in Chappel Hill and that is where our typical ride begins. We picked up a new rider on a sweet looking Venture. His name is Jim and he rode with us today and may be coming on the TeXSive run in April. Welcome, Jim!

Pathfinder is spraying oil out all over his left pant leg....blown headgasket? Looks like another roadside repair coming our way... He wanted to just turn around and go home, but we wouldn't let him. I suggested we wipe all the oil off, ride 10 miles to Brenham, to go to our 50's style restaurant at the Brenham Municipal Airport.

50's style Restaurant

This place opens at 11am, an we were some of the first guests and Pathfinder and I wanted their famous "Brenham" cheesesteak sandwich, but the cook said that he didn't want to make them because, "the kitchen will be too busy." Apparently they only serve it during the week, and Saturday night. Bummer, because Pathfinder and I each had one last time we ate there.

We finished and went to check the oil situation on Pathfinder's rig, and sure enough, its stilll leaking, but it doesn't look like its coming from the head gasket. So we headed into Brenham and parked in the shade next to a ServiceStar hardware store to once again disassemble Pathfinder's bike and find the source of the leak. He discovered that it was coming from the valve cover gasket, retightened all the bolts and sprayed all oily areas with carb cleaner and wiped everything dry.

We figuered we would ride for about 10 miles and check the leak again. It looked like he got the leak stopped, yeah!

Since I am on the "Special," I dictate when we stop for fuel as I can only make 90 miles before I need to fill up.

We headed west on 290 to Giddings, and then north up 95 through Elgin and on up through Taylor. We headed west on 29 to Georgetown. There were some good twisties on 29 so that was fun. As usual, I had to stop for gas, again and we filled up west of Georgetown and took a snack break.

We headed south on I-35 to Round Rock and turned "north" on 79. It actually is east, but they call it north. We continued "north" back through Taylor, Thrall, Thorndale, Rockdale and Milano.

In Milano, we headed east on 36 towards Caldwell. We blazed on 36 and I swear we maintained 85 to 90 mph the whole way. My neck was sore from trying to steady my head at that speed for that long a time.

Once again, my red light came on and it was time for me to get gas, again! We stopped in Caldwell on 21 North, I filled up, and we said our verbal goodbyes and headed to Aggieland. At my street, I waved them off and I pulled into my garage marveling at what a great time I had with this fantastic machine and some good friends.

Thanks for a great ride guys!

I can't wait for TeXSive Lite!

greg
    Gone but never Forgotten:
    1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
    2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
    2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

In Milano, we headed east on 36 towards Caldwell. We blazed on 36 and I swear we maintained 85 to 90 mph the whole way. My neck was sore from trying to steady my head at that speed for that long a time.
    And you guys talk about my "spirited" riding style!

See ya in Galveston buddy.

Ride Safe.
    [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
    [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
    The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

Hey, if you guys schedule at least one weekend out, (time for me to knock out the honeydew lists) I will probably join you for some of these day rides. I'm on an XJ1100 and feel more suited for short day rides, this weekend in Galveston is going to be interesting, it's only been some 20 years since I've spent more that an hour on any bike.

Please e-mail or use this forum, I keep forgetting to check for PMs
      See ya Saturday Morning!
      82 XJ1100J "Jackel"
      78 Honda CB750-74 Honda CB750
      74 Husky 400
      70 Yamaha 360 & 70 175 enduros

Comment

Working...
      X