Lake Taho Photos #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake Taho Photos #2

E. Liberty sent me a CD with several dozen photos from the Lake Tahoe Rally. I've selected 15 of them and put them up in a photo album:

E. Liberty Lake Tahoe Photos

The photos are a blend of bikes, riders, and scenery. Seems like a shame to cut them down to 640 x 480; if you would like copies of the originals contact E. Liberty.

My thanks to both Maximan and E. Liberty for sharing these shots with me. (At the top of the photo page is a link to the album of photos taken by Maximan entitled Lake Tahoe.)

Looking forward to seeing everyone next year!
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Great photos! All those shiny bikes...
    Marty in NW PA
    Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
    Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
    This IS my happy face.

Comment

nice pictures i might have to try to ride out west one of these days
      79 yamaha xs1100f standard
      best 1/4 mile 13.282@99.40

Comment

Thanks Jerry, I left out most of those. I should mention that Dad actually rode that bike home like that. Fortunately the forks weren't bent.
        Matt
        1980sg-Stocker-- Sold
        1980sg- Cruise Missile- Sold to RODS454
        1990 ATK 604- Ditch Digger
        2005 BMW K1200S- Killer Bee
        2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000- trackbike

Comment

"Tahoe Rally 2" pics

Hey Jerry,
          Thanks for posting my photo's AND giving me creadit! But I'm having trouble when I click on them to get an enlarged view. I've tried it in Netscape and Explorer and neather works. I see you have a Mac: could this be a factor? Anyone else having a problem? Inquiring minds want to know.
          E.Liberty
          Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
          I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

Great photos!

Really nice bunch of pics, thanks for putting 'em up. I'm not having any trouble viewing them and I have a PC.

Was wondering about the captions on the "Carson City" pics, looks more like the area south of Virginia City...Gold Hill or Silver City area. I do have some familiarity with the Comstock and visit friends up there fairly often. I even recognize that tar paper shack but I just can't remember exactly where it is at the moment.
            Shiny side up,
            650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
            XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Re: pics

Yep, you do know the area. I got a thing for old buildings. These were shot near Silver City or Gold Hill on the road to Virginia City. Glad You like. I'm working on the related story now. Hope to have it posted soon.
              E.Liberty
              Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
              I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

I'll be looking forward.
                Shiny side up,
                650 Mike

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

I've corrected / modified the captions. Let me know what other mistakes I've made!
                  Jerry Fields
                  '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                  '06 Concours
                  My Galleries Page.
                  My Blog Page.
                  "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I don't really have any more corrections or additions.

I might mention that the Reno Overlook photo was taken from what is known to locals as the Geiger Grade, after the surveyor who located the original road back in the 1800s. It runs from Steamboat to Virginia and is marked on maps as Nevada 341. While much of it has been relocated and straightened over the years it is still a steep and convoluted road with precipitous drops in many places but spectacular views. It can be extremely treacherous in winter, I knew a man who lost his life on this road during the snow season.

One amazing bit of history is the story of how Virginia & Truckee locomotive #4, the Virginia, was hauled up the grade by 36 oxen and paraded down C Street to cheering crowds when the railroad was constructed back in the 1860s. Some of the V&T's brass bound Baldwin locomotives and rolling stock are now exhibited and operated at the Nevada State Railroad Museum in Carson.
                    Shiny side up,
                    650 Mike

Comment

Working...
                    X