Photos from 6/10 left turn idiot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photos from 6/10 left turn idiot

Here's are some photos of the van that made the left turn in front of me on 6/10/02.

On the other side of the power pole is a mailbox. She was turning into the driveway there.

This is the damage Twisted and I did to her van! The small white mark at the upper part of the rear hatch is where my helmet grazed the van.

This is why Madness is now called "Twisted Madness"

Another angle with the guilty party!

This is a shot of Twisted after my rebuild. Looks better than before.
    Jim Middlestadt
    1980 XS1100LG Twisted Madness-Gone
    1983 XVZ12TK Venture-Gone
    1996 XVZ13A Black Magic-100,000 plus miles and going strong
    2006 XVZ 1300 Venture

Jim,

Nice job on the rebuild. Looks like you were really lucky (or skillfull) in only "grazing" the van with your helmet as you flew by. The pictures bring it home real well, and I am truly glad you are ok. Another few inches to the right . . . .

Phew.

These left turning cages are getting worse . . . they really need to put down the phone, turn off the TV, strap in the kids, turn off the microwave, and do the only true job they have when they are behind the wheel . . . drive!

You probably saw this story already (mine was about the same time as yours) but others may be interested.

Left Turn Madness . . . At least the only repairs I had to do were to wash off the gasoline and glass.
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Inattentional blindness

"I didn't see him!" But how could she not? I copied this account of the famous Gorilla Suit experiment off the net--there are many:

Daniel Simons, a professor of psychology at Harvard, has done a more dramatic set of experiments, following on the same idea. He and a colleague, Christopher Chabris, recently made a video of two teams of basketball players, one team in white shirts and the other in black, each player in constant motion as two basketballs are passed back and forth. Observers were asked to count the number of passes completed by the members of the white team. After about forty-five seconds of passes, a woman in a gorilla suit walks into the middle of the group, stands in front of the camera, beats her chest vigorously, and then walks away "Fifty per cent of the people missed the gorilla," Simons says. "We got the most striking reactions. We'd ask people, `Did you see anyone walking across the screen?' They'd say no. Anything at all? No. Eventually, we'd ask them, `Did you notice the gorilla?' And they'd say, `THE WHAT??'" Simons's experiment is one of those psychological studies, which are impossible to believe in the abstract if you look at the video (called "Gorillas in Our Midst"); when you know what's coming, the woman in the gorilla suit is inescapable. How could anyone miss that? But people do.
      David Browne
      XS11SG Crunchbird
      XS500E

Comment

Gorillas

Here is a website that discusses the whole inattentional
        blindness theory. Pretty interesting stuff. http://www.wjh.harvard.edu/~cfc/Simons1999.pdf

Here is the site where they have the actual videos in Quicktime format. Hilarious!!

http://www.wjh.harvard.edu/~viscog/lab/demos.html

I especially like the person change video.

-Kirk

Comment

I should clarify that the specific inattentional blindness demonstration is hilarious.

In no way did I mean inattentional blindness causing accidents was funny. I apologize.
          -Kirk

Comment

Glad you are oaky-I think of the other guy everytime- and it is hard to do it enough. I like the sound and feel of my bike but I keep thinking- maybe I should make it loud!
            Hate to say this, but I have been wanting to see a pic of a fork brace and I think I see one \

xjguy and a bike called "gone with the wind"

Comment

so did the insurance company step up? didnt you say she lied about what happened??
              - dan
              - thinker57@lycos.com
              - SF/H/E/HD "Stray Bullet"

Comment

Working...
              X