TeXSive Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TeXSive Rally

Just got back from Blanco, TX. Swallowed my pride and drove the car the 75 miles from my house in Lytle, TX, to the rally site. Glad I did. Saw some nice bikes and met some nice folks. I enjoyed dinner conversation at Casanova's BBQ (great Brisket plate) and complimentary ice cream after dinner. It just don't get much better that that! Missed Randy Jackson, who had his dispatcher route him through Blanco so he could have breakfast Saturday morning with the group.
    As soon as this hand is healed up (carpel tunnel release surgery) I'm gonna be looking for a ride, so is anybody up for a Big Bend ride in October? Lanny, I'm callin' ya! You too, Jack!
    Bob G
    81 XS1100LH (Boomerang?)
    I hate advice.. unless I'm giving it.

Just back myself! Great to see you!

What's that joke about bringing a knife to a gun fight?

We had (unless I'm counting wrong...) 9 bikes, two Gregs, an Altima, one Mini-Van, and an 18-wheeler (complete with trailer).

Nobody died...AND we can use all the bikes again! A great weekend of riding, visiting, and eathing!.
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Comment

My Spirit is renewed! Thanks folks!

This is my first ride with the TeXSives, and I have to say that I have never met a finer bunch of folks!

The friends that I made this weekend, are friends I am sure I will have for the rest of my life.

We came to the event from different backgrounds, occupations and riding experience. (Although I have been riding for 25 years, I am a newb when it comes to riding in a group.) Most of the regulars have been riding together for some time. And we instantly melded into a tight-knit family.

I experienced an America that I had no idea existed. I am not just speaking of the physical location, although it was absolutely beautiful, but more of an idea, a realization of what it means to be free. We were free to go where we wanted, when we wanted and there were no judgements, no prejudices, no preconcieved notions, just instant friends sharing a common experience. I have to say that you TeXSives have renewed my spirit. Thank you for inviting me into this wonderful family!

I now get a deeper understanding of the following quote:

Life is not a journey to the grave,
        with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
        but rather to skid in broadside,
        thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming,

WOW - What A Ride!

To Wayne, Danny and Cari (sorry if I misspelled your name, but I think you are awesome just the same!), Robert and Linda, Dave J., Dave, Mike, Guy and not riding, but made the trip to Blanco just to meet us, Robert G. and Randy, thank you!

Nemaste!

(“the unity in me honors the unity in you”)

I look forward to the next time we ride together. I promise I will have quieter pipes next time!

greg
        Gone but never Forgotten:
        1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
        2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
        2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

Wow, well said Greg. Thanks for the kind words.
          I want to thank everyone for coming to the rally. You are a great bunch of guys. This was the best TeXSive Rally yet. Lots of old and new friends just having a ball riding the tires off our bikes.
          Special thanks to Bob Garcia and Randy Jackson for finding time in their busy day to come an dine with us. Looking forward to seeing you guys on your bikes next year.

A full ride report and pictures are coming soon.

Ride safe
          [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
          [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
          The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

I loved the ride

I put my pics in the members section by mistake http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...&threadid=5610

By the way anybody got anymore pictures? I'd love to have them so I could post and save.

Anyway, wanna go again? SOON, but gotta fix the bike first and paint and sand and polish so mine can look as good a David J.'s, fat chance, then a bunch of carb work to run as well as Mike's Special.
            Last edited by pathfinder; 09-29-2004, 08:51 AM.
            There's always a way, figure it out.
            78XS11E

Comment

Finally remembered my pw

Hi Guys!
              It was nice to get together again with you all and meet the new people that came this time.
              Great bunch of folks!
              I had a BLAST!!! As always...;-)

Pathfinder! Everyone knows the Specials are just plain faster than standards. That is why they are called Special....So all the carb work in the world will not help you...;-P
              Seriously when you get it back together and can spend a day tuning let me know. Always glad to help out when I can.
              But remember the rubber side goes down!

Take Care!!!
              Tinman
              --------
              XSTin
              80SG

Comment

It's coming along, probably in the next 45 - 60 day's. Hope I'm not being overly optimistic, damn theres alot of little pieces in a 78E. I wonder where they go. My 2 year old grandson was helping me yesterday and he got some small part's and God only knows where they are now. What's bad is I don't know what he lost.
                78XS11E

Comment

Dave, you know 1100 isn't just the size of the engine...that's how many parts are in it.

Comment

Well I haven't touched the motor yet, just stripped down to bare metal everything, sand fill and sand some more and cleanup powder coat the frame. That's everything that was black before. Including all the polishing of the aluminum to look like chrome. Then comes the body work. Then the paint job.That's 1101 parts including the motor if you count it as one piece.

By the time I'm done the motor, steering head, brakes, wheel bearings, swing arm bearing, 2nd gear fix, middle gear will all be rebuilt, tach fixed, new connections on wiring harness and anymore that even remotely need it. Also new coil wires, betcha thought I forgot the fuse panel, ha ha I already did it at the beginning of spring this year.

I went to pick up my stainless allen bolts today, didn't have enough cash $104.56 and they wouldn't take credit cards. The list on their paperwork is 4.5 pages long. Why have I done this to myself? Oh well everybody knows what a short riding season we have here in Houston. It was already down to 86 degrees F just today, brrrrr.

Why is it when you have a project like this SWMBO will always come up with these little nit picky projects you just have to do right now?

That damn TeXSive Rallie is really costing me. Wouldn't have missed it I'll see everybody next year to show off. Or if I have to I'll bring it in a box's and we can all put it back together.
                    78XS11E

Comment

You gotta have it ready for the spring rally in Tyler. Well, I'd like for Wayne to set up a rally near Tyler this spring. It's a lot closer than the hill country, and I like trees, not scrub brush.

Comment

Hopefully long before that it will be finished. Well I haven't finished in 17 years why would I think I'd finish now. There's always something to do no matter how perfect it is. Repair, rebuild, gease, oil, shine, polish and piddle around with it, well you know the drill you own one.
                        78XS11E

Comment

The drill?

Yeah I know it. Add gas, ride, add more gas, ride some more. Change oil, add more gas and ride some more. I don't ride a poser, I ride a daily driver. It has been 13 years since I restored it, and it shows. I try to keep major accumulations of junk off of it, but that's about it. Time spent polishing it is time wasted not riding it. I got to ride to work yesterday, the first ride since I hurt my leg two weeks ago, and did it feel good! All that power at the flick of a wrist.

Comment

Tyler in the spring.... HMM gives me a reason to go my grandparents old house in Alto....
                            Shawn
                            78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
                            78 XS1100E Parts
                            www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

It's not a poser John, I just like it to look nice. I repainted it about 13 years ago and I think it needed it again. Besides I had the little crash and screwed up and cracked the faining. I just decided to take it all the way down this time.
                              78XS11E

Comment

Working...
                              X