Dragon Tail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragon Tail

Not sure if this is where I should post this or not. It's not so much a ride report as reporting about a place I heard of to go riding. It's called The Tail Of The Dragon, a section of US 129 around the Tennessee/North Carolina state line. I'm curious if anyone of our esteemed brethren have ever tamed the Dragon? I want to make the run for myself, but I'd like to hear from anyone who has had first-hand experience on the Dragon. TIA

BTW, it has it's own website: www.tailofthedragon.com

Ride on, brethren, ride on.
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game. (borrowed from strom)
    The idea is to die young............as late as possible.
    1979 XS1100SF Special

Yep, Deals Gap. We had a rally near there last year, and rode to it. There is one coming up this year. Look at the Southeast Rally page. Vintage Japanese Motorcycle rally, the starting point is TWO in Suches, GA.
    Marty in NW PA
    Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
    Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
    This IS my happy face.

Comment

I've been there so many times I don't care if I go again or not. On weekends it's packed with motorcycles. Many of them drive like idiots. It's a good place to get hurt if you aren't cautious.

I passed through there last month on a day it was empty and I must admit I very much enjoyed the ride. I was riding alone.

I've seen "experienced" riders get carried away and crash there. A coworker crashed there this spring and totalled his Ducati. He also broke a few ribs. He was leading a rally of folks from work. I think you get the picture.

It's a very popular place with bikers. I'm going to a XS650 rally in two weeks and I'm sure the group will pass through there.

FWIW, it's more fun to ride it on my 650 than the 1100.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Been there, rode that.

311 curves in 18 miles or something like that. Great ride. Try to get there on a weekday and avoid the crowds. I rode it in a thunderstorm that was putting out 4" an hour of rain....

Wasn't crowded at all!

There are also a ton of other roads in that area that are just as much fun without the crowds and the hype...

Go, have fun!
        CUAgain,
        Daniel Meyer
        Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
        Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Hi Phyxius, the above posts from Jetmechmarty and Dragon Rider are accurate. During the rally Marty A. described, we rode over 300 miles on Saturday and also rode the Dragon. It was only a little crowded. Kinda fun with all the bikes, people, and cages if you keep you sense of humor. As Daniel said, the area is a gold mine of great twisty roads and scenery. Our rally is just two days but you could easily spend a week in the area sight seeing and riding. You could even do a little hiking on the appalachian trail if you do that kind of thing. Oh, white water rafting in Wesser is good too.

Going back in two weeks

Ralph Meeks
          Ralph Meeks
          79F
          80SG

Comment

Just got back from Florida. On the way down we went through the Dragon. Sadly, we were in SWMBO's cage, and by the time we got through I was darn near crying I missed my XS so. It was everything I had hoped it would be and more. Passed one big rig coming towards us, then went by another who had hugged a little too close to his side of the road and dropped the right side wheels off the pavement. Luckily for him he was up against a bank, not rolling down one.... Would love to move to the area and spend all my free time exploring, but for now I'll settle for planning my trip to tame the Dragon with my XS.
            If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game. (borrowed from strom)
            The idea is to die young............as late as possible.
            1979 XS1100SF Special

Comment

It is better to go during the week as it is very popular on the weekends, and there are lots of sportbikers blasting through it. I've ridden it at least a half dozen times. That whole area of eastern TN and western NC is some of the best for riding in the country. The Cherohala Skyway is another road you should try. Very scenic and lots of sweepers!
              Robert
              79 SF

Comment

Tail of the Dragon

Man! It's an AWSOME ride.
                Just remember ride it once to sight see and then go again to ride it agressive. You CAN NOT do both! Trying to do that almost got me in trouble. Then I settled down to riding the road.
                What a ride! Ready to do it again!
                I agree with what the others are saying.
                Ride Safe!

Tinman
                XSTin
                Tinman
                --------
                XSTin
                80SG

Comment

Jetmech Marty sez: "...it's more fun to ride it on my 650 than the 1100."

Deals Gap certainly is a blast, but now that I have ridden the Cherohala Skyway I think the Cherohala Skyline suits the XS better than the Deals Gap run. Tossing 900+ LB of motorcycle and driver into tight technical stuff like Deals Gap is a bit tough on an XS. Robert H, Brent H, and Mike Davis (had an FJ1200, was on a Yamaha 650 "Indian Chief" last year) rode Cherohala during VJMC. What do you say Robert? That was fun, wasn't it?

If I had to choose, on the XS I would take Cherohala over Deals gap. When I am there again, I will try to ride both, but if I had to choose...
                  Marty in NW PA
                  Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                  Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                  This IS my happy face.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyA

Deals Gap certainly is a blast, but now that I have ridden the Cherohala Skyway I think the Cherohala Skyline suits the XS better than the Deals Gap run. Tossing 900+ LB of motorcycle and driver into tight technical stuff like Deals Gap is a bit tough on an XS. Robert H, Brent H, and Mike Davis (had an FJ1200, was on a Yamaha 650 "Indian Chief" last year) rode Cherohala during VJMC. What do you say Robert? That was fun, wasn't it?

If I had to choose, on the XS I would take Cherohala over Deals gap. When I am there again, I will try to ride both, but if I had to choose...
                    Hey Marty,

That's why I kept harping about the Cherohala! I look forward to riding it again together!
                    Robert
                    79 SF

Comment

Working...
                    X