Mississippi War History Ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mississippi War History Ride

A local historian took me on a history ride. We followed a Union Army map dated 1862.

Sherman marched 30,000 troops down this road.

There is the remains of a gas pump in the woods. This is the kind with glass bowl on top.

This house was on the 1862 map. It’s way off the road. At this point in the war, the Yankees hadn't started burning everything to the ground.

Sherman claimed he could see the steeples of Oxford from here. It's now the location of Laws Mill Fish House.

Battle of Wyatt happened here. When the water level goes down, you can still pick up relics.

Grant camped here with 50,000 troops.

We walked across this field and into the woods.

Earthworks were on the map. V cutouts for cannons clearly visible. Waiting for Grant.

Abbeville. Van Dorn’s trial was here.

The church that goes with the sign.

Lunch in Oxford, Mississippi It's a lovely city and home to Ole Miss.

The battle of Hurricane Creek took place here.

Grant traveled this road with 50,000 troops and a wagon train.

This road is part of the Trans America Trail.

Cordelia Lewis Scales Someone I plan to be reading about very soon.

This was not a proper motorcycle for this, but I managed. I may have done 20 miles of gravel on this trip.

Downtown New Hudsonville. You can see where houses were if you look closely.

My guide. He has quite a Honda collection. I tried to take notes all day, but it got overwhelming. It was a day well spent!
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Hi Marty,
    Nice pictures and sounds like a good ride. Your guide has a Honda 50 just like my first bike except mine was Red the fast colour Is that the Mississippi river overflowing it's banks ? I would like to take a similar ride with you.missing the gravel road bits. I recognized that stretch of the Trans America trail having watched a video of the trail. It requires a dual sport bike as most of it is gravel in varying degrees of rough.

Phil
    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
      Hi Marty,
      Nice pictures and sounds like a good ride. Your guide has a Honda 50 just like my first bike except mine was Red the fast colour Is that the Mississippi river overflowing it's banks ? I would like to take a similar ride with you.missing the gravel road bits. I recognized that stretch of the Trans America trail having watched a video of the trail. It requires a dual sport bike as most of it is gravel in varying degrees of rough.

Phil
      Phil, the ride was entirely in the hill country. We were never very far from home, though I rode about 250 miles. The big body of water is Sardis Lake. Sardis Lake now covers part of the battlefield, but you can walk it in the winter. It's part of the Tallahatchie River. The Sardis Dam is for flood control. The town of Wyatt is no more. The place is now Wyatt Crossing. It's only 20 to 30 minutes from my house.

My guide was riding the ideal motorcycle for this ride or the Trans America Trail. It's a 250 cc Honda. It seems to be happy at 60 mph either on the highway or gravel roads. I tried it and found it very comfortable. On the TAT, you're going to fall down. You don't want to be on a bike bigger than you want to pick up over and over. In a word, you would not want to use an XS1100.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Hi Marty,
        Once this virus thing is over I'll try and plan to bring the bike to ride your area. While i admire those who set off into the woods it's not the style of riding I am interested in. The two young guys who made the video were on 250's They learned to ride and bought the bikes plus saved enough $$ to do a fairly long stretch of the Trans America which is actually a fairly recent route plotted to use existing roads and tracks.

Phil
        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Thanks for that, Marty!

I almost heard "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" when I saw the picture of the railroad tracks even if they're not anywhere around Danville.
          -- Scott
          _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
          1979 XS1100F: parts
          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

WoW, what a great way to spend a Saturday
            Ride - Learn - Lunch .............. nice Travelogue & Pics too.

Thanks for posting

Jeff

FWIW: Interesting History of the Phillips Grocery:
            The original Phillips Grocery in Holly Springs, MS was built and operated in 1892 by Oliver Quiggins, a former Confederate soldier and prisoner of war of the Union Army. Phillips Grocery was operated as a saloon until prohibition when it became a grocery store in 1919. Mr. and Mrs. W.L. Phillips bought the store in 1948, developed a special and still secret recipe and began to grill the famous Phillips hamburgers

On April 24, 1989, USA Today spotlighted our burgers and named Phillips Grocery one of the top three hamburger joints in the United States! In the April 1995 issue of Gourmet Magazine, our burgers are described as “culinary gems” and as an “American Classic.”
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Working...
            X