No announcement yet.

XJ1100 First Real Ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You don't use trail braking? It's probably just as well, it doesn't work right with the XJ's linked brakes.

None of the riders in this video use the front brake in the corners, they use it to slow before the corner and trail brake through it.

Kieth Code | Sportbike Trail braking, downshifting, throttle control...the definition | 5:31
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
      Jerry, I like the linked system but not in corners, it's dangerous.

Linked brakes break the cardinal rule about not using the motorcycle's front brake in a corner. I follow the other cardinal braking rule for keeping the shiny side up too, "Rear brake, then front brake."

There's yet another rule that basically says not to ride faster than you and the machine can handle so my sense of propriety will just have to adapt as I learn to slow down and deal with it because I'm not unlinking the brakes.

One point in favor of unlinking the brake system is the Teflon/SS brake lines. I put new brake lines all around and the stock front master cylinder would actually work better if I unlinked the brakes and gave it another front caliper to play with. Right now with the linked system, the SS line and single caliper have made the front brake lever like a rock with no travel and very little feedback.
      Sorry I did not follow this thread in real-time. I concur on your observation about SS line on the front brake. The lever pull is rock hard and almost zero travel from zero to full braking.

My suspicion is that the OEM rubber line was "squooshy" and required quite a lot of force to actuate the caliper piston. The modern SS line makes the master cylinder into superman strength.

BTW, my 2003 FJR1300 has both front brakes on the front master cylinder. No linkage from front to rear. It requires very little rear braking to fishtail at highway speed.
      82 XJ1100 - sold
      96 Honda Magna 750 - Girlfriend's bike
      2000 ZRX1100 - sold
      2003 FJR1300 - Silver rocket

Comment

Originally posted by HalfCentury View Post
        Sorry I did not follow this thread in real-time. I concur on your observation about SS line on the front brake. The lever pull is rock hard and almost zero travel from zero to full braking.

My suspicion is that the OEM rubber line was "squooshy" and required quite a lot of force to actuate the caliper piston. The modern SS line makes the master cylinder into superman strength.

BTW, my 2003 FJR1300 has both front brakes on the front master cylinder. No linkage from front to rear. It requires very little rear braking to fishtail at highway speed.
        Yes, the rubber lines have a lot of 'give' in them. That'd be fine if they weren't thirty-five years old and the SS lines are a lot better now that I'm used to them.

I had fun riding to Colorado for the Kremmling rally, I did manage to lock up the rear wheel in a corner coming off the freeway somewhere in Utah at one of the fuel stops, that was exciting!

The ride up the mountains on Trail Ridge to the summit was mostly relaxed with no braking or handling problems other than the ones I created for myself when I tried to take pictures and make a ride video.

-- Scott
        _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
        1979 XS1100F: parts
        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
        X