Trip to cottage country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip to cottage country

Planning to ride to cottage country this weekend..... finally! It's been a goal since I got the bike.

I feel pretty confident about the bike now, despite not being able to get a compression test and valve adjustment check done on the weekend. The Pacifico fairing and I just weren't getting along.

After trying to remove the lowers, and finding them stuck with silicone to the top, I read a thread about someone who had a similar fairing and managed to loosen main bolts enough to tilt it and clear the valve cover, but two of the bolts are so dam hard to reach on the steering head that by that time, I was ready call it quits and put things back together.

Later, I read another thread about "what if I ride more miles and not adjust the valves?" and the consensus was pretty low risk with this bike. It runs good now.

So either Friday afternoon, or Saturday morning I plan to head north, depending on the weather (possible rain Friday). About 320 km one way.

North from Stratford is familiar Mennonite country. Not sure where on the bike I'll pack the cheesecake from Anna-Mae's in Millbank, Ont (my usual stop) . Once past Arthur, Ontario, here is a screenshot of the interesting part of the route planned that will take the 78E on a nice road through the escarpment which should be a much nicer experience than it was in the car.

and a map link http://prntscr.com/c0xjq1

From there the route empties as reasonably as far north as possible onto the busy hwy 400 for a short bit, then onto the calmer 4 lane #11 to Hunstville.

Tomorrow I will test ride to work with my clothes bag packed in front of the trunk passenger backrest to see if it provides a good back rest for me solo riding.

Brian
    Last edited by dbbrian; 08-02-2016, 09:33 PM.
    '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
    '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
    '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Hi Brian,
    I suggest; from Honeywood continue a little north and pick up the road to Creemore. The brewery is right on the main street stay on 9 until making a left at Cashtown Corner to head up 42 to Stayner where you turn right on to
    hwy26 Follow until Midhurst then look for 11 (NOT Hwy11) but the county road also known as Old Barrie road which later crosses 400 and meets Hwy11 at Orillia. While it sounds convoluted you will avoid the horrible traffic on 400.

You need to look at this on a map for it to make sense.
    Phil
    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by dbbrian View Post
      Planning to ride to cottage country this weekend..... finally! It's been a goal since I got the bike.

I feel pretty confident about the bike now, despite not being able to get a compression test and valve adjustment check done on the weekend. The Pacifico fairing and I just weren't getting along.

After trying to remove the lowers, and finding them stuck with silicone to the top, I read a thread about someone who had a similar fairing and managed to loosen main bolts enough to tilt it and clear the valve cover, but two of the bolts are so dam hard to reach on the steering head that by that time, I was ready call it quits and put things back together.

Later, I read another thread about "what if I ride more miles and not adjust the valves?" and the consensus was pretty low risk with this bike. It runs good now.

So either Friday afternoon, or Saturday morning I plan to head north, depending on the weather (possible rain Friday). About 320 km one way.

North from Stratford is familiar Mennonite country. Not sure where on the bike I'll pack the cheesecake from Anna-Mae's in Millbank, Ont (my usual stop) . Once past Arthur, Ontario, here is a screenshot of the interesting part of the route planned that will take the 78E on a nice road through the escarpment which should be a much nicer experience than it was in the car.

and a map link http://prntscr.com/c0xjq1

From there the route empties as reasonably as far north as possible onto the busy hwy 400 for a short bit, then onto the calmer 4 lane #11 to Hunstville.

Tomorrow I will test ride to work with my clothes bag packed in front of the trunk passenger backrest to see if it provides a good back rest for me solo riding.

Brian
      .....may have to munch what's left of that cheesecake along the way..........have a good and also SAFE ride......ATGATT....cept to eat that cheesecake of course.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
        Hi Brian,
        I suggest; from Honeywood continue a little north and pick up the road to Creemore. The brewery is right on the main street stay on 9 until making a left at Cashtown Corner to head up 42 to Stayner where you turn right on to
        hwy26 Follow until Midhurst then look for 11 (NOT Hwy11) but the county road also known as Old Barrie road which later crosses 400 and meets Hwy11 at Orillia. While it sounds convoluted you will avoid the horrible traffic on 400.

You need to look at this on a map for it to make sense.
        Phil
        Thanks Phil. I thought someone might chime in. I've been through Stayner on way home before and didn't like the slowdown in the little towns, but that was in a car. I think you make a good suggestion for the bike.

What about going on #22 after Sunnidale Corners instead of back south to county road 11? Do you know that road? See link

http://prntscr.com/c0y2zn

Comment

Thanks Phil. I thought someone might chime in. I've been through Stayner on way home before and didn't like the slowdown in the little towns, but that was in a car. I think you make a good suggestion for the bike.

What about going on #22 after Sunnidale Corners instead of back south to county road 11? Do you know that road? See link

http://prntscr.com/c0y2zn
          Hi Brian,
          I had recently used 11 from Orillia and it was quite nice, light traffic and some sweepers and undulations so was retracing my steps.
          Do not know 22 but your route looks fine and shorter.

When in Huntsville , if you have time, I recommend Hwy 60 to Dwight then look for Hwy35 south (right) to just past Dorset right onto Hwy117 back to Hwy 11 just north of Bracebridge.
          Bridge at Dorset was under construction with some delay at busy times.

Have fun
          Phil
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Shaekdown ride.

Thanks again Phil. If you've been down that road and liked it that's good enough for me ! Once there, I'll see how I feel about heading out for more miles since I'll be returning home on Tuesday. Been a long time since I rode a bike further than an hours drive, so I did a shakedown ride to the local CVMG group meeting last night with the bike loaded up as it will be to go north Sat morning. (Weather will be clearer then).

I waited too long to get good pics of the other bikes before everyone took off, except this Laverda. It sounded real nice when he left the parking lot

On the way home I went part way with a guy riding his CBX. Pretty much kept pace with him from the stops. It was getting dark, and I was fortunate to just miss running over a small skunk that scurried across the road
            Last edited by dbbrian; 08-05-2016, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Loaded up, bike warmed up, and hit the road at 8am sharp

Forgot sunglasses, back on road 8:07, not so sharp

Awesome drive, bike ran great. Missed my turn to go thru Creemore, and went south of Base Borden instead. Stopped in Angus for gas ($10 filled the tank) coffee and bagel. Seems they sized the tank about right for needing a break to stretch the legs. Headed out and saw about 100 bikes headed the other way into Angus...that was a lot of biker waving

Got back onto the County Rd. #11 that Phil recommended - very nice road!

Blasted up Provincial #11 and made it in just over 4 hours. Not bad.

Arrived Safe, bike is amazing.

Comment

Day Trips

Didn't take long for me to realize Phil's recommendation for a road trip while I'm here was very good. So I checked out the local map and customized a route around Lake of Bays - see here https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Hunt...45.3269323!3e0

It was the best roads I've been on, and started realizing very quickly what a gem of riding country we have right here in Ontario.
                The roads were smooth, twisty, up, down, through curved rock cuts, vistas and views galore, and after the first 15 minutes, not much traffic....it was Sunday morning, and I thought of what one member said about riding while everyone was in Church. I think those first few minutes were before service started

I wanted to stop and take pictures so many times, but the desire to ride on was stronger, so sorry, these are all I have.

Dwight - road to beach

Dwight - Beach

Really nice little place called Dorset. The ride took me to church in more ways than one!

Dorset - single lane bridge, SS Bigwin down on right

Dorset - go the hardware store by boat!

Dorset - local info centre

Dorset - pub on the water

The road out of Dorset - parting shot

Comment

Report/pics

Brian,

Thanks for sharing this with us ...

Good ride report and the pics are great!

And it appears you had perfect weather ... looks so inviting!

I want to go to that pub and have a meal at one of those tables on the deck closest to the water!
                  Last edited by Prisoner6; 08-07-2016, 10:18 PM.
                  Marco

Current bikes:
                  1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
                  1979 Honda CBX
                  2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
                  WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Hi Brian,
                    Nice pictures. Glad you had a good ride. You saw more of Doeset than I have as I usually just ride by
                    That is only the beginning. There are lots more roads to ride to the east of there.
                    Phil
                    1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Looks like a perfect ride. On a nice summer weekend that area is certainly spectacular. Great that you got your bike out for a nice weekend trip, and that it worked well for you.

I checked out that local 11. Looks interesting. Your loop around Lake of Bays looked like a good ride too. I think we went through Dorset on 35 then 60 to Algonquin as I recall during the Haliburton Rally. As you said, nice roads and good scenery especially around the lakes.

Glad you had a good trip. Nice looking XS too. Keep on riding.

Jeff
                      78' XS1100 E
                      78' XS1100 E
                      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Day Trippin - again

Thanks for the comments guys. I have Monday and Tuesday off too to make an extra long weekend. Weather couldn't have been better for the 4 days.

So that made day 3 available for another day trip. This time I planned a route to Rosseau and back. I have a cousins with a place near Windermere, and just as I was heading out I heard back from them so my route took me there too.

See here for the route (hopefully this shows the way I went back on # 10 that takes me into Huntsville on #2 (Brunel Rd.) which is worth a repeat performance.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Hunt...23!2m1!1b1!3e0

These roads around here are so curvy, you spend lots of time between 3rd and 4th gear. Admittedly, there is some areas suffering from frost heave, but there are plenty of stellar condition roads and the ride in general more than makes up for a few bumpy areas.

...and the kodak moments...

Great general store - local berries and jam went into the trunk for my cousins

See the bike?

View from the patio of the local eatery

Hwy 141 out of town and to Windermere

Windermere

My cousins place is through the gates. See the bike parked? There's a reason why I walked in from there....

...not the right type of bike for that

More of 141 on the way home

Day 4 will be heading home, taking the Brunel Road out of town and hope I get my directions straight and go through Creemore this time
                        Last edited by dbbrian; 08-08-2016, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Ride Home

All went smooth on the ride home.

It got quite hot mid-way, as I left Huntsville at 11:30am. Probably not the best idea on one of the hottest days of the summer The trip up was more sensible leaving at 8am and arriving at 11:30am. I could really feel the engine heat on my knees at times, and by the time I got home my T-shirt and helmet liner was 'damp' to say the least. But I was a good boy and the gear stayed on the whole trip.

Stopped in Stayner to fill up and take a break. The Dairy Queen there has indoor seating with blasting A/C, and I ordered a large Arctic Rush - that cooled me right off for the 2nd half.

I was good with following my planned path, went exactly on the path that Phil suggested, and the road to and from Creemore was a treat. Thanks again Phil!

No pictures from the ride home. Just a report that all went well, the bike performed flawlessly, and I highly recommend going to that area for some rides. Having a home base and day tripping makes it even better, so you can enjoy other aspects of the area.

I will return there because my parents live in Huntsville, but will definately return WITH the bike, when all the stars align like they did for me this time - time off, weather, and a great bike!

Here is an article that covers quite a few roads in the area. I did go down Revenscliffe road a bit on Day 3, due to my poor sense of navigating, which hsp[pened to be in my favour.

http://explorersedge.ca/ride-edge-to...xplorers-edge/
                          Last edited by dbbrian; 08-09-2016, 03:28 PM.

Comment

...not the right type of bike for that
                            You might be surprised what your XS will do. And Happy Birthday!
                            -- Scott
                            _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                            1979 XS1100F: parts
                            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Very nice bike Brian...and even nicer to ride through Ontario...Love all the fresh water lakes...we have alot of lakes down here too but they are mostly brown water and not crystal clear like Ontario....I did make one XS North rally back in '09 and would love to return one day soon...
                              1980 XS650G Special-Two
                              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                              X