September 4K putt-putt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• September 4K putt-putt

I've been lazy and wasn't going to post any ride pictures from my ride out to Colorado, New Mexico and Utah in September.
    Excuses are: it wasn't a Rally and i have no people pics so i decided not to bother even though I've been asked "where's the pictures, we like pictures".
    Highlight of the ride was getting to have lunch and spend a few hours with Motoman & Motowoman.

Then I read Mack's TRUTH post.
    http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44937

This is good stuff Mack posted:
    > Sometimes you need a really crooked road to get your head straight.
    > I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days.
    > Riding experience cannot be bought, taught, or given. It can only be hand by the miles and the years you ride.
    > I was born to ride, forced to work.
    > I didn’t choose the biker life, the biker life chose me.
    > Love is all you need… and a motorcycle.
    > Riding washes from the soul the dust of everyday life.
    > Look twice for motorcycles, someone’s whole world is on that bike.

I was lucky to get to take a nice ride, all day, every day for seventeen days in a row. Had a BLAST is an major understatement.........
    So, here are some pics just in case you wanna look at some pics.

Jeff
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

US 191 west of Teec Nos Pos Arizona

Southern end of Moki Dugway road - Junction US163 north of Mexican Hat New Mexico

Valley of the Gods dirt road junction with base of Moki Dugway

No kidding? Switchbacks here on Moki Dugway?

On Moki Dugway - Photo Op spot seems exactly where Greg took his pic in May

Utah, just awesome riding and scenery

Colorado River Glen Canyon

Sunset - nice reward after great day of riding, near Capitol Reef

Central Utah PM ride to motel

Jeff
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Stayed at Biker Friendly motel in Escalante Utah

Great pavement & curves throughout Escalante Staircase

Utah Highway 12

Scenic Escalante Staircase

Central Utah

in Motomans back yard - Grand Junction Colorado

Riding in Colorado National Monument

more riding in Colorado National Monument

Infamous Million $$ Dollar Highway US550 Silverton to Ouray

Johnson Mesa in north east New Mexico (this was spectacular)

Riding on most easterly volcano in USA

Hung around for Sunset at Great Sand Dunes - then nasty night ride with horrific crosswinds

It sure is fun to 'Go Ride'. This really is a bucket list trip for anybody that hasn't ridden out there.

Jeff
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

You rode much of the same ground trbig, JWHughes3, XJOK2PLAY, and I dit that May. Really great country and riding.

We rode up to Grand Junction, Co to Motoman's place and came down The Million Dollar Highway to Durango, Co then cut over to the north rim of The Grand Canyon and to Zion National Park before we hit that area though.

Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
          You rode much of the same ground trbig, JWHughes3, XJOK2PLAY, and I dit that May. Really great country and riding.

The Million Dollar Highway to Durango, Co then cut over to the north rim of The Grand Canyon and to Zion National Park before we hit that area though.
          Yeah, was going to ADD to your May UT-CO thread but you towing Tod off the mountain, at night, in snow. Didn't want to mess with that........

That was the ride I was thinking of joining you but left a few days later in May and went to sunny southern NM instead.

btw, note No Snow on my ride Durango to Montrose (or anywhere else either)

Jeff
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Beautiful pics Jeff...Thanks for sharing...I'm overdue for a return to the desert southwest myself...
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Yeah Jeff, that pic of the Moki Dugway looks like you were at just about the same spot I was when I took my pic.

That pic of me standing at the edge of the canyon is right up near the top of Moki on 261. There's a turn off on a dirt road to the west that's just marked "Muley Point". If you get back over there take that dirt road back about 3 - 4 miles. No one ever goes back there. Tod and I had the place all to ourselves. Better views than at The Grand Canyon.

Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

BA
                Yep, I was originally planning to do some camping on the ride, but decided to be lazy and get motels instead.
                Was planning on camping there at Muley Point at Goosenecks. Its dusty dirty and no water + takes too much time to setup-teardown. Beautiful sunrise - sunset spot + camping unless the wind screaming.
                As you said, great views directly below of the San Juan river then looking west where in joins the Colorado River canyons.

I rode over Slumgullion Pass too. Stopped for lunch at Poker Alice's (but avoided the big hot steaming plate of Slumgullion).

Ben - you are overdue to get back out there in your old stomping grounds. I hope to get back to Calif sometime in 2016 to Ride + see family & friends.

Jeff
                Last edited by JeffH; 11-23-2015, 08:57 AM.
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Yeah, I'd like to get out to Cali and ride HWY1 up the coast for a while, but it's 1600 miles just to get to the starting point, and all interstate. If I take the scenic route, it's a whole bunch more.

1600 miles is pretty do-able in 2 days, but you sure aren't going to see much along the way. Then two days riding up HWY 1 and three days getting back from somewhere in northern Cali eats up a week right there.

P.S. Awesome picture of the great Sand Dunes, Jeff!
                  Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                  '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100
                  *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                    Yeah, I'd like to get out to Cali and ride HWY1 up the coast for a while, but it's 1600 miles just to get to the starting point, and all interstate. If I take the scenic route, it's a whole bunch more.

1600 miles is pretty do-able in 2 days, but you sure aren't going to see much along the way. Then two days riding up HWY 1 and three days getting back from somewhere in northern Cali eats up a week right there.

Yeah, to & from Calif is a long run for you folks from Okla and sure a time hog from Georgia. Did it once on a one-way from Sacramento to Daytona Beach. On an old Triumph Bonneville. Prince of darkness (Lucas) let me down at 1am around Petrified Forest exit 700 mile day from Visalia so slept on side of road with the scorpions & rattlesnakes & tarantulas That's after the carbs almost fell off in Winslow AZ @midnight and almost going loco with 115 degree temps crossing the Mojave. We call that fun. We call that part of the adventure.

Still haven't figured out what to do. Need to spend a 2-3 weeks in Sacramento with family. Easier for me to just fly the Delta non-stop from ATL. 5 hour fly with martini vs 5 long days in saddle x2. Fly and rent a bike there for a week or two. No plan yet; still thinkin' Sacramento is a great base to ride south coast loop, north coast loop, northern Sierras loop and Yosemite - Bishop Hwy 395 loop. Lots of off the beaten path good roads and scenery. say capay valley or nacimiento-fergusson + smash some bugs in the Sac valley rice paddys & ride in the Sierras.

So its not a dead duck. I'm still working on it. You could hit the minimum basics in a week in CA.
                    Really 2 weeks there + travel to see a good overview.
                    Hope we can somehow make this work so we can meet up and ride.

Jeff
                    78' XS1100 E
                    78' XS1100 E
                    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post

I think starting at the north end and heading south would be more practical. Our last trip ended up being 10 days and about 3500 miles. And 2 days of that was spent laying around the hotel room in Durango.

I know when I drove from Port Angeles, Wa to Tulsa the trip was right at 2000 miles and as much as I'd like to, we wouldn't be going anywhere near that far north.

2 or even 3 days up, 3 days down the coast and 2 days home. I think it would be absolutely doable. And, if everyone kept their rear end lubed up (NH) we might not have any breakdowns.
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                      X