Another open ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another open ride

Just put another 100 miles on it finally. Had to fix gas tank leak and leaking gas hose. Love riding her. I am not yet used to the wind hitting me at 70 mph or holding the throttle open that long. Just got into riding. I see why everyone is so enthusiastic about riding. Safe riding to all of you. Watch out for birds. 3 almost hit me on the interstate.
    79 XS11SF

birds

Birds r playing with you....They like bikes.Road kill when coming to crest in road can't see it.That will get your attention!!!! Be safe.Getting use to your bike.She's big ,heavy ,fast,.Need windshield if you don't have one..Well , I like windshields as iam old..Where is westdale? Iam in Amsterdam n.y.32 miles west of Albany exit27 ny thurway..
    1980xs1100.sg Pacifica Fairing ..stock.
    2006 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100.! ⛺

Comment

So if you two want to go/come to XSSE I suggest you meet in Binghamton and carry on down I 81
      Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Westdale is 35 miles North of Syracuse and 10 miles South of Osceola which I am sure you hear on news in winter when they get 2 ft of snow and hour.
        79 XS11SF

Comment

Originally posted by dbmb0416 View Post
          Just put another 100 miles on it finally. Had to fix gas tank leak and leaking gas hose. Love riding her. I am not yet used to the wind hitting me at 70 mph or holding the throttle open that long. Just got into riding. I see why everyone is so enthusiastic about riding. Safe riding to all of you. Watch out for birds. 3 almost hit me on the interstate.
          Just a word from the WISER.........these ARE public highways with multi-directional hazards........not a maintained track. In other words, avoid playing those games on a PUBLIC road!.........Ainn't worth it buddy! This comes from 50plus years of experience. two wrecks, with the latest having me temporarily in a wheel chair and walker..........ain't worth it.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
            Just a word from the WISER.........these ARE public highways with multi-directional hazards........not a maintained track. In other words, avoid playing those games on a PUBLIC road!.........Ainn't worth it buddy! This comes from 50plus years of experience. two wrecks, with the latest having me temporarily in a wheel chair and walker..........ain't worth it.
            What games Brant? He wasn't playing games...he was riding for 100 miles on the highway at 70 mph and birds were flying at him. He wasn't trying to hit them. I am not sure what you read into that statement.

John
            John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
            '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
            Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
              What games Brant? He wasn't playing games...he was riding for 100 miles on the highway at 70 mph and birds were flying at him. He wasn't trying to hit them. I am not sure what you read into that statement.

John
              Brant's drugs must be really good...LOL
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                Brant's drugs must be really good...LOL
                That they are...........including the perscribed ones from the doc.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Windshields!

Originally posted by tomcos67 View Post
                  Need windshield if you don't have one..
                  dbmb0416,
                  If you can find a windshield you will enjoy your rides much more.

Personally, I've owned a lot of bikes but never had one with a windshield (or bags). I kinda thought these things detracted from the riding experience and were used by "WHIMPS". However, with all the bikes I've owned most of my driving was; 50 miles here, or 30 miles there, a quick trip to the mini-mart, a drive to work, etc. Long rides were extremely rare as the majority of my rides were just scoots around town.

A friend here at XS11 has allowed me to borrow a Memphis Shade for my XS11. It's sized to cover the rider's chest. Some are larger and provide some protection for your hands, this one does not. I suppose in the rain the larger ones might be a little better? Again, little experience with a wind screen.

I am now making regular 100-150 mile trips and absolutely LOVE the windscreen. It actually makes riding a TON more enjoyable and less stressful. It's also been hit by a few small rocks and a bunch of big nasty bugs (no birds YET).

When my friend asks for the screen back I'm gonna offer some $$$$$ and try to keep it!

Respectfully,
                  KURT
                  Last edited by kboehringer; 09-20-2015, 07:42 AM. Reason: spelling
                  Kurt Boehringer
                  Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
                  1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                  1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
                  1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
                  1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                  1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
                  1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
                  1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
                  1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
                  1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
                  1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
                  1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
                  2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Fork mounted screens are okay...I have one in my Plexistarll however there are trade offs...to get decent all weather protection one needs a larger screen thus more wind drag and lower gas mileage. As good as fork mounted screens are they pale in comparison to frame mounted fairing like Windjammer. They're better at moving the air around you but they're much heavier as well...still a frame mounted fairing will do a better job of managing crosswinds and really windy/blustery days out on the road...My Hondas have spoiled me for true built in fairings...the things ya learn...
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I have ridden with and without. Distance definitly with. My boss and I did 150 Saturday. he wanted to be macho and took his screen off. Love bug season in Texas. Half way through he commented ( if i ever decide to take it off again slap me.) Had to clean his goggles 4 times by the time we finished.
                      81 LH in process
                      09 vstar 1300
                      only allowed 2

Comment

Most have been short rides since I need a Licensed Driver cause I only have permit. But I'm sure that will change next year when i get license in April.
                        79 XS11SF

Comment

Thanks everyone.
                          79 XS11SF

Comment

Originally posted by dbmb0416 View Post
                            Thanks everyone.
                            Hurry up and ride.!Enjoy weather while you can.....Snow soon..Not counting the 8 inches Syracuse got already.!!!

Comment

Nov

November and still riding.!Loving it..Thanks to all here...
                              Have a Great Thanksgiving.! Hope everyone feeling well.....
                              Peace.!

Comment

Working...
                              X