Wolf Pen Gap Georgia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolf Pen Gap Georgia

Having ridden the Wolf Pen Gap road a number of times on both my bikes.
    Having had the pleasure of riding it with friends in a group or on my second time alone in the dark I have wondered why I and others had never posted pictures? On a recent trip in the cage I discovered why; There's nowhere to pull over for the best turns. In no particular order :

If you find your self near here do try the Wolf Pen Gap Road.
    Phil
    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Nice, Phil! I see those photos in my dreams, sometimes....
    Marty in NW PA
    Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
    Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
    This IS my happy face.

Comment

In the XS650 group, we call this Burgess Corner. Dave flight tested a CB550 cafe racer on this one. It is posted 10 mph and no guardrail. I think most of the bike is probably still down there.

This is/was the only passing zone in 12 miles. I think they made it all double yellow when they repaved it last year.

I think Dave tried to get around this at 60 mph on Chen Shin tires. It had to be like going off the end of the carrier deck!

My photos are from Nov 2011. The road was nicely paved last year. Come give it a try!
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Love Wolf Pen Gap road...the first time i rode it i was astounded...12 miles from stop sign to stop sign and nary more than a half mile of it was in a straight line...a go pro cam mounted on a helmet would really be a cool way to get a real feel for this awesome road...
        along Wolf Pen gap rd...
        Last edited by madmax-im; 05-16-2015, 05:24 PM.
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Pack light

The first pic shows Marty's bike, Me, Don Hather and our loaded bikes. The 650 is an excellent bike for such twisty mountain roads, but I wonder "How does he pack so light??

Once on Wolf pen gap rd, hwy 180, I saw a car across a steep valley. It was moving roughly parallel to me, traveling in the same direction. Before I could figure out what this other wonderful looking road was, I met the car in a hair pin curve. There, I could check out oncoming traffic while riding side by side with them.

I would recommend this road. Although it is not an all day ride, there are many other good roads and sights near it.

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post

In the XS650 group, we call this Burgess Corner. Dave flight tested a CB550 cafe racer on this one. It is posted 10 mph and no guardrail. I think most of the bike is probably still down there.

This is/was the only passing zone in 12 miles. I think they made it all double yellow when they repaved it last year.

I think Dave tried to get around this at 60 mph on Chen Shin tires. It had to be like going off the end of the carrier deck!

My photos are from Nov 2011. The road was nicely paved last year. Come give it a try!
          It is a great big beautiful world out there
          Brent in GA
          Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Great pictures! I was up there last Spring and the road was great. The day I went through there was hardly any traffic.
            80SG, 81SH, 80 standard parts bike, 81SH parts bike
            and new to me 78 standard dresser

Comment

Working...
            X