Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dream Vacation

Hey,

I think there are some Europeans on this forum, can anyone point me in the right direction on this.

It's always been my lady's dream to visit her homeland, Norway, I'm very set on "If I'm going on vacation, I'm going to ride a motorcycle." We want to put them both together and rent a motorcycle in Norway and ride to Poland. Are there companies that would do this?

ANY input would be appreciated. I guess I could ship my bike too, but I'd hate for her to be all scared on a ship alone
    78 E

Originally posted by alaskey2 View Post
    Hey,

I think there are some Europeans on this forum, can anyone point me in the right direction on this.

It's always been my lady's dream to visit her homeland, Norway, I'm very set on "If I'm going on vacation, I'm going to ride a motorcycle." We want to put them both together and rent a motorcycle in Norway and ride to Poland. Are there companies that would do this?

ANY input would be appreciated. I guess I could ship my bike too, but I'd hate for her to be all scared on a ship alone
    I dont have first hand knowledge but I am almost certain there are rental companies available for what you desire...leave your bike at home...it isnt worth it...
    http://www.edelweissbike.com/en/allT...er-norway.html
    Last edited by madmax-im; 01-23-2015, 04:48 PM.
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I know we have a few members that are active on here from the Netherlands (Mathh), but nothing I recall from Norway. Been there, very beautiful. I enjoy the WWII history.
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Hi Alaskey2,
        If a week in Norway is over $3400 can you say expensive.
        If you have the time and $$ to do such a trip it may be more economic to simply purchase a bike and then sell it at the end. I know BMW will sell you a car that you pick up at the factory in Munich and after your tour they will deliver it to your local US dealer. Many things are possible when you have money
        Phil
        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

That would be a nice trip. Getting wet & cold is a given, but that is part of the adventure. Plus the sun barely sets so you have long days of fun.

You mentioned getting a bike in Norway and riding to Poland. I'd seriously look at flying in Germany and getting a bike there. Like Hamburg. While Munich is bike rental central due to the draw of the Alps, there are other International bike rental places in Frankfurt and I think Hamburg. There is now a bridge from Copenhagen to Malmo so you no longer have to ride the ferry unless that 'floats your boat' ha-ha.

Hamburg to Olso is only a two day 300 mile/day trip. Central Poland like Lodz 500 miles back to Hamburg. Renting a bike in Germany for two-three weeks would be cheaper than messing with one in Norway. EU border-crossing is a non-event and Poland-Germany is not a problem either if your documents are correct. A good International customer motorcycle rental place will make sure to know all you need to know and have all the docs you need to have.

Shipping your bike would be pretty nuts .............
          There are better ways.

Jeff
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Great!! This is VERY exciting! Hoping to do this in about 2 years so I have some planning to do. This summer we'll do a ride from Chicago to NOLA and see if we have the guts to do a week out!!
            78 E

Comment

I used to work in Leipzig. The was a large BMW dealer a block from my hotel. They sold everything with a BMW logo on it. They rented motorcycles. An 800 cc bike with jacket, boots, helmet, gloves, insurance, etc., was less than $100 per day. I wish I had been able to take time to do that. Anyway, I expect you have plenty of options to research.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

With all road trips you want to ride the best roads in the area. My thought is to find a good motorcycle tour company that will get you what you want.

We spend 2 two weeks in Europe. One of those weeks was just in Munich walking around. The other was on a Edelweiss Bike company tour . The tour was called Alps Extreme. Would I use the same company.... sure!
                Tom
                2004 FJR1300abs 311,000 kilometers and counting
                gone,but not forgotten 1978 XS11E

Comment

Working...
                X