Iron Butt for Special Needs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iron Butt for Special Needs

I support a private non-profit school for special needs kids in the north Atlanta area, called the Special Needs Schools of Gwinnett. We educate 60 kids each year, ranging from pre-K through post 12th grade. I've been a board member of the school for several years, and coordinate an annual motorcycle ride each September to support the school.

This weekend (Nov 1/2) I'm running an Iron Butt Bun Burner (1,500 miles/36 hours) as a fundraiser for the school. The route is from Suwanee, GA to Savannah, down I-95 down the east coast to Fort Lauderdale, spend the night there, then get on I-75 and run back up the west coast.

If you are interested in joining the ride this weekend, let me know. If you'd like to help support financially, you can donate directly to the school via the link: http://specialneedsschools.org/events.html

Our goal is to raise $5,000 for the school. So far, we've raised $1,600. Because it is a private school there is no direct government funding. Operating finances come from tuition, grants, and tax-deductible contributions from businesses and private individuals.

Thanks for letting me share,
    Mike Farrington
    Suwanee, GA USA

Current: '80 XS11SG, '97 Vulcan 1500, '73 CB750
    Previous: '79 XS11SF, '80 XS11G, '81 XS650

Hi, Mike -

There is a special needs child in my life ... and this school you've shared is truly a worthy cause ...

Just made a donation ...

God Bless
    Marco

Current bikes:
    1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
    1979 Honda CBX
    2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
    WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Originally posted by Prisoner6 View Post
      Hi, Mike -

There is a special needs child in my life ... and this school you've shared is truly a worthy cause ...

Just made a donation ...

God Bless
      Thanks Marco, I appreciate your support.
      Mike Farrington
      Suwanee, GA USA

Comment

Burrrrrr !!
        Can't wait to hear how you fared.
        Temps in the 40's. Winds NW at 20+ gusting crosswinds to almost 40 mph.
        Kind of like riding out west.

North Florida and Georgia getting down to freezing again tonight so hope you get home by sunset.
        We always blame those frigid blasts as being from Canada, but our northern XSives correct that saying it is really Arctic in origin.

Riding always yields good stories. Let us know how you fared with bike - rider - trip - wind & cold.
        1,500 mile GA-FL Butt Burner with a few unexpected weather twists, eh?

Jeff
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Iron Butt Update

Okay, so we didn't ride.

Several riders had to back out due to family/work, and when it came down to 8 am Saturday launch time, I was the only rider left standing. So, we will reschedule for early spring. Perhaps a few fellow XSives might join us.

Peace,
          Mike Farrington
          Suwanee, GA USA

Comment

Alrighty, that sounds like a better plan. Maybe warm and sunny the way it is supposed to be. Let us know when.

Miserable cold ride in gusty wind is no fun. We have had a couple of cold starts in Florida heading down to our Key West XSives Rally.
            Like 20 degrees F, not the usual 20 C.

Jeff
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Originally posted by mfarrington View Post
              ... when it came down to 8 am Saturday launch time, I was the only rider left standing.
              Mike,

It's clear this school means a great deal to you ...

You are a true XSive ...
              Marco

Current bikes:
              1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
              1979 Honda CBX
              2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
              WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Jeff and Marco,

Thanks for your encouragement. Yes, Marco, the Special Needs Schools does mean a great deal to me. Special needs persons of any age are important to me. I understand the complexities of life with a special needs person -- my 77 year old aunt is developmentally challenged, and she lives with my parents in my home. Pretty sweet arrangement, actually: my folks and aunt have a nice 2 BR fully furnished apartment in our basement (Dad's got a 10 port Jacuzzi tub in his bathroom!) My wife, 2 kids and I have the top two floors. I have learned a lot about what is really important in life with this arrangement, and I wouldn't change any part of it. As a result, I want to support those who educate special needs kids.

Thanks for listening,
                Mike Farrington
                Suwanee, GA USA

Comment

SWMBO was a special education teacher before depression/anxiety took her ability to work. I remain hopeful that she will regain her faculties and be able to fulfill that calling once again some day. I know I wouldn't last one day in a classroom with those challenges! It takes a VERY special person to do that every day. They don't get anywhere near the credit (or funding) they deserve...
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                  -H. Ford

Comment

CatatonicBug,

Thanks for sharing your story. My dad has dealt with depression with varying degrees of success over the past 3 decades. Sometimes we have to take one day at a time, and enjoy one moment at a time.

Peace,
                    Mike Farrington
                    Suwanee, GA USA

Comment

So, was the trip a success and what became of the XS1100?
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

Working...
                      X