Iron Butt Saddle Sore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iron Butt Saddle Sore

Well, I completed my first Iron Butt Saddle Sore yesterday, 6/29/2014. West from ATL on 20 to 65, North to 40, East to 24, then 20 back to ATL. Absolute worst weather conditions I have ever willingly road through. Downpours during heavy construction traffic through Nashville, Monsoon rain through the Smokies, and I blew off right side muffler coming down from the Smokies (weld didn't hold). I dried out four different times in four different states on the ride! Bike performed wonderfully.

That said, it was a challenging, memorable experience. And the tales of the adventure are getting longer already ...
    Mike Farrington
    Suwanee, GA USA

Current: '80 XS11SG, '97 Vulcan 1500, '73 CB750
    Previous: '79 XS11SF, '80 XS11G, '81 XS650

Way to go, Mike!

-- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Glad you made it. It's not an easy thing to do in good weather!!! The last time I went around Nashville I took 840, it's a nice loop south of town.

The Other Earl
      80SG, 81SH, 80 standard parts bike, 81SH parts bike
      and new to me 78 standard dresser

Comment

Mike,

That's a real adventure challenge. You must have perfected the gas stop! It is fun to plan and execute a challenge like that. Nasty rain and all, you prevailed. Its nice when the bike runs perfect. (when is Nashville road construction ever going to end?? I think its been 10 years so far as I can remember)

We need to get with Brent & Marty & Joe & Chris & Mike to take a ride. Maybe in August.

Jeff
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Originally posted by Old Red View Post
          Glad you made it. It's not an easy thing to do in good weather!!! The last time I went around Nashville I took 840, it's a nice loop south of town.

The Other Earl
          Don't try 840 during rush hour.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Iba

Congradulations Mike!
            Iron Butt Association takes a while for verification, certificate etc. Pres Michael Kneebone likes to see the old XS11 bikes still going and qualifying.

would like to get together & hear more about it.

Brent
            It is a great big beautiful world out there
            Brent in GA
            Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Mike,
              Congrats! That's cool.

I rode to Eureka Springs a couple of weeks ago, and met up with Bohn Frazer, who rode in on his BMW GS from KC.

About the time I rode through Tontitown and almost made it to 540 and turned north...I hit rain. But the real heavy stuff waited until I was on 540 north, and in bumper to bumper traffic. No place to pull over to put rain gear on.
              Barely could see 50' ahead...

By the time I made Rogers, Arkansas...it slacked up. I figured since I was already wet, keep riding. About 20 more miles, I ran into road construction, and traffic slowed... and was heavy...2 lane...no passing.
              Got just past Pea Ridge Military Park, and traffic came to a halt...and again, it poured heavy rain.

So, here I am...sitting...in the rain. Turned out... A semi had hit an old Olds Cutlass head-on in a construction zone. Ripped the front end out from under the semi. So you can imagine how bad the Olds looked...
              There must have been 400 + cars jammed there. Took forever to get through, but finally did. By the time I made Eureka Springs...I was a drenched rat. Even the money in my wallet was wet. Miserable...

So, I understand what ya went through! Rain gear makes all the difference in the world. We hit rain a couple of times that week, but we were able to stop and gear up. No big deal, if you can do that.

I hate getting cold or wet when I'm riding. Just sux. But wet wallets, wet money, and wet leather gloves are worse, I think.

But, like Bohn wisely told me once... "If nothing bad or extraordinary happens on a ride, you tend to forget it. It's the "extra" stuff that happens along the way that makes it a memorable adventure."
              I think his right.
              Bob
              Last edited by XJOK2PLAY; 07-09-2014, 01:34 PM.
              '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
              "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Working...
              X