Riding in The Great Smoky Mountains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding in The Great Smoky Mountains

As some of us know, the state lines of NC, TN, and GA all meet up here in the Great Smoky Mountains. Those of who have attended the XS Southeast Rallies already know how much they love riding this area. I happen to be one of them.

I am in Bryson City, NC this week - and have been here since last Wednesday. Bryson City is about 20-25 minutes from the Ironhorse.

Since Wednesday, we have ridden to such places as the NOC, The Ironhorse, Fontana Dam, Tale of The Dragon, Gatlinburg, TN, Townsend, TN, Cherohala Skyway, Cherokee, and will top off the bike road trips with a visit to Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggie Valley, NC tomorrow.

Lots of people had pulled to the side of the road today in Gatlinburg to observe a black bear feeding. He was just barely into the woods off of the road. No people were eaten during this incident.

Don't know the exact mileage of the combined trips, but we did manage just 3 miles short of 200 today. Wish I had taken some pictures, but the enjoyment factor of sitting on the XS11 did not allow my fingers any time to push a button on a camera.

I will admit having gone to the Nantahala Brewing Company in Bryson City more than once this week to enjoy a cold one, play several games of Corn Hole, and feel the breeze of "The Big A_s Fans". May be going back there before the week's end.

Have family coming up starting tomorrow evening for the Memorial Day weekend. Got a feeling that I will be moving from motorcycle to a 6-man raft sooner than later.

It has been a lot of fun this week. Wish some of you XSives could have made it up here.

Mike
    1981 XS1100H Venturer
    K&N Air Filter
    ACCT
    Custom Paint by Deitz
    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
    Stebel Nautilus Horn
    EBC Front Rotors
    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Wow! I got a visual. No pictures needed.

NOC, The Ironhorse, Fontana Dam, Tale of The Dragon, Gatlinburg, TN, Townsend, TN, Cherohala Skyway, Cherokee, and will top off the bike road trips with a visit to Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggie Valley, NC tomorrow.

Although I have never been to these places just the names puts an image in my mind of places I would love to see and ride.

One day I hope to get to Wheels Through time. We should have went last month when went to Myrtle Beach. Next time when I don't have my GF's kids I wanted to kill.
    Previous bikes:
    1979 Husqvarna 390 CR (NEW)
    80's KTM 250XC
    I had a 80's
    490YZ
    TT500
    IT 490
    1986 600XT
    1988 Honda 350 XR
    2005 KTM 625 SMC LC4
    (?) Dnieper (Ural like) 2 WD Military sidecar rig
    I have a 2003 Honda 300 EX Wheeler
    and a 2010 Kawasaki 750 Brute Force Wheeler

And now my XS1100SF

"MEDUSA"

http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/1c...Garage%20Resto

Comment

Sounded like a great time!
      Jeff
      77 XS750 2D completely stock
      79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Wtt

Went to WTT on Thursday. Quite a few people were there. Was the first day of the outdoor event (on the WTT property) where guys were riding old Indians and HDs around in circles in a wooden structure - forgot the name of the structure.

Spent about 3 hours in the museum itself. Dale Walksler and his son Matt were there. Talked/listened to Matt for a while. He is preparing an old Indian to enter in the Born Free Custom Bike Show in California next month. I believe he said it was a 1946 model. Looks much different than stock. Supposed to be finished in 2 weeks. I saw the work in progress and it looks very cool. Hope he does well there.

Enjoyed the rest of the museum - as much as you can see in that time frame.

There is one bike in the museum that has been deemed the "World's Rarest Bike". Only one is known to be produced. It is very old (teens - twenties) and it has an 80 cubic engine. It took HD 20 more years to produce an 80 cubic inch engine. The name is TRAUB.

Dale and Matt are doing a second season of "What's in the Barn". Starts 6-10-14.

Had a good time that day. A lot of you have been there, and for the rest of you, it is a must see. Real easy to go more than once as there is too much to take in on one visit.
        Last edited by MPittma100; 05-29-2014, 07:19 PM.
        1981 XS1100H Venturer
        K&N Air Filter
        ACCT
        Custom Paint by Deitz
        Stebel Nautilus Horn
        EBC Front Rotors

Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike...I plan to head there sometime this summer for a day trip...
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
            Went to WTT on Thursday. Quite a few people were there. Was the first day of the outdoor event (on the WTT property) where guys were riding old Indians and HDs around in circles in a wooden structure - forgot the name of the structure.

Spent about 3 hours in the museum itself. Dale Walksler and his son Matt were there. Talked/listened to Matt for a while. He is preparing an old Indian to enter in the Born Free Custom Bike Show in California next month. I believe he said it was a 1946 model. Looks much different than stock. Supposed to be finished in 2 weeks. I saw the work in progress and it looks very cool. Hope he does well there.

Enjoyed the rest of the museum - as much as you can see in that time frame.

There is one bike in the museum that has been deemed the "World's Rarest Bike". Only one is known to be produced. It is very old (teens - twenties) and it has an 80 cubic engine. It took HD 20 more years to produce an 80 cubic inch engine. The name is TRAUB.

Dale and Matt are doing a second season of "What's in the Barn". Starts 6-10-14.

Had a good time that day. A lot of you have been there, and for the rest of you, it is a must see. Real easy to go more than once as there is too much to take in on one visit.
            Hi Mike, SWMBO and I will be 'caging' thru Atlanta end of August on our way to Columbus for mother inlaws 90thB.day(she still drives her Camry to store and church). Sounds like it would be worth a look-see. Is the museum fairly easy to get to off the Interstate headed south? And what's its full name?

We've in the past have just flown there, but with the expense of the 'right of passage' a bit more than doubled (along with throwin' in your first and last born) in a 3yr. period, a 'road trip' was lookin' pretty good.
            I've done that trip to Atlanta several times, taking vacation time and runnin' a local eighteen-wheeler there and back. Double teaming it makes it some 27hrs. driving, and by myself never devided out the 'off-duty' time, but figured 2 1/2 days oughta' get us there.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Brant its called Wheels Through Time...its not right off I40 but you can get to it from there...its in Maggie Valley NC
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Wheels Through Time I believe it is directly on US19 in Maggie Valley, NC. I live 85 miles north of ATL and very near US19. For me, it's close to a three hour trip.

Mike,
                Were they running the Wall of Death?

Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

Wtt

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                  Hi Mike, SWMBO and I will be 'caging' thru Atlanta end of August on our way to Columbus for mother inlaws 90thB.day(she still drives her Camry to store and church). Sounds like it would be worth a look-see. Is the museum fairly easy to get to off the Interstate headed south? And what's its full name?

We've in the past have just flown there, but with the expense of the 'right of passage' a bit more than doubled (along with throwin' in your first and last born) in a 3yr. period, a 'road trip' was lookin' pretty good.
                  I've done that trip to Atlanta several times, taking vacation time and runnin' a local eighteen-wheeler there and back. Double teaming it makes it some 27hrs. driving, and by myself never devided out the 'off-duty' time, but figured 2 1/2 days oughta' get us there.
                  WTT contact information is here:

http://www.wheelsthroughtime.com/contact/

WTT is open Thursday through Monday. Closed Tuesday and Wednesday.

You should definitely go there. You will be glad you did. May want to visit nearby Cherokee as well.

Mike
                  1981 XS1100H Venturer
                  K&N Air Filter
                  ACCT
                  Custom Paint by Deitz
                  Stebel Nautilus Horn
                  EBC Front Rotors

Mike

Comment

Wall of Death

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                    Wheels Through Time I believe it is directly on US19 in Maggie Valley, NC. I live 85 miles north of ATL and very near US19. For me, it's close to a three hour trip.

Mike,
                    Were they running the Wall of Death?

Marty, They were running The Wall of Death. I watched one show while there. You feel like they are going to come right out of that circle at any time. They were using some old Indians and HDs. One guy rode with no hands and stood up on the pegs. There is a cable at the top of the ring on the inside diameter. I suppose if one got too high, the cable would be the end of him and the bike and possibly a few onlookers. They do come very close to that cable!

Mike
                    1981 XS1100H Venturer
                    K&N Air Filter
                    ACCT
                    Custom Paint by Deitz
                    Stebel Nautilus Horn
                    EBC Front Rotors

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
                      Marty, They were running The Wall of Death. I watched one show while there. You feel like they are going to come right out of that circle at any time. They were using some old Indians and HDs. One guy rode with no hands and stood up on the pegs. There is a cable at the top of the ring on the inside diameter. I suppose if one got too high, the cable would be the end of him and the bike and possibly a few onlookers. They do come very close to that cable!

Mike
                      I have seen the show. The last time was at the Barber Vintage Fest. At Barber there is really so much going on, it's like it's just another distraction. It would be fun to see it as the center of attention.
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

Here is a neat place to visit with a downloadable map to different places to ride..I thought it was pretty cool.
                        http://visitncsmokies.com/activities...FYtDMgodQiAACg
                        '80 XS1100 SG
                        Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

Originally posted by STEPPENWOLF View Post
                          Here is a neat place to visit with a downloadable map to different places to ride..I thought it was pretty cool.
                          http://visitncsmokies.com/activities...FYtDMgodQiAACg
                          Come on down in Sept. for XS Southeast and we'll show you a big piece of that list.
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                            Come on down in Sept. for XS Southeast and we'll show you a big piece of that list.
                            I really want to..may be in my cage..I just started riding again after about 18 months out of the saddleBut if I can make it I have two other riders near me who might be going and we could have a three some
                            I would love to see a bunch of XS's together..think the most we had with our SWOHXS group was 10 at one time.I have been shall we say pretty frail here of late
                            Have not lost the spirit or desire to ride...
                            See you somewhere down the road.
                            '80 XS1100 SG
                            Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

Originally posted by STEPPENWOLF View Post
                              I really want to..may be in my cage..I just started riding again after about 18 months out of the saddleBut if I can make it I have two other riders near me who might be going and we could have a three some
                              If you ride down, you're probably looking at about seven hours in the saddle. The ride tours are at least that, but you may shorten that as you desire. Just meet us at the highlight points. If you need the cage, by all means, bring it!
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

Working...
                              X