NC Ride Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NC Ride Report

I'd like to report a ride. (thankfully no police reports required)
    Actually quite a fun twisty road adventure.

Sunday-Monday-Tuesday riding with jetmech. A really great time. I rode 730 miles and jetmech 640 miles. It was 84 degrees in Junaluska / Waynesville so we sought relief up at 6,000 ft on the Blue Ridge Parkway last night. Stayed at the Ironhorse Motorcycle place on Sun night and the Blue Ridge Inn at Sylva last night. Good time and good eats. Got a few pics along the way.

Interesting watching the trees and foliage going from summer at the 2,000 foot elevations to spring at the 3,000 to 4,000 feet elevations to the end of winter at 6,000 feet. Summer green at the lower elevations to early spring blooms at the high elevations. Black Balsam valley was amazing. For all the times I'd been up there I'd never timed it to see it in its full spring glory of blooms.

jetmechmarty setting up for a series of ripper curves on NC road

This is an understatement, had 12% grades going up to Happy Valley Rd

No trucks, yeah a good idea on this one (NC 151 going up to the Blue Ridge Parkway)

Evening ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway to beat the heat down at 3,000 feet
    [/URL]

At the 6,000 foot marker on the Blue Ridge Parkway. (was sure hoping he didn't WOT and go straight ......... )

Some stations carry exclusively Ethanol FREE gas
    [/URL]

Back in North Georgia on the way home today, Marty running across Booger Hollow

It was nice and relaxing and we had some fun. Guess that's what this is all about. Sure are some spectacular biker roads with fantastic scenery. Enjoyed having the time to talk with people and get their story too. That's it I guess ................ Be sure to get out and ride if you can, especially with another XSive. Post some pics so we can see.

Jeff
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Totally awesome Jeff and Marty!!! I cant wait to get out there...I've been on 151 i think...gotta look at the map but its a very crazy road if i am right...up to or down from the BRP
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!! $3.75 for regular..........
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
        HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!! $3.75 for regular..........
        Ethanol free...thats what i pay for it 4 miles down the road...is it cheaper in OK?
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Don't know about ethanol free and don't particularly care at that price but regular here last I checked was $3.26.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Don't know about ethanol free and don't particularly care at that price but regular here last I checked was $3.26.
            Regular E10 is $3.75 here right now. I paid $4.45 for pure gas last week. BTW, the gas sign was in Georgia. Gasoline is typically more expensive in North Carolina than Georgia due to higher tax. Tennessee is usually cheaper. Who knows? By Sept. we may be paying $4.75 for E10.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Insanity. It costs more to fill my 3.5 gallon gas tank now than it cost to fill the 20 gallon tank on the 68 Torino GT I had when I was 16. It wouldn't even hold $10 worth of gas and it normally takes $12 to fill my bike.

Something's wrong with the world today...............
              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

And THAT was ethanol free.....
                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Well I like the better performance and economy i get from paying a higher price for quality gas...E10 is crap gas and I notice a huge difference in the XS11's perfomance and gas mileage. With crap gas I"m already on reserve at 135 miles with Good ethanol free regular gas I can make it to 146 miles before i have to turn the petcocks...then another 4 miles i made it to the gas station so I did 150 miles and filled up and took 4.5 gals so I could've gone another 15 miles or so...never get that on crap gas...if that s not enough for ya ...ethanol free burns hotter than e10 and engine performane and efficency noticibly improved...
                  Oh and theres nothing wrong with today's world...live it or live with it..i always say...
                  Last edited by madmax-im; 05-06-2014, 09:24 PM.
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

BTW Greg I recall those days ...My Daddy didnt allow me no motorbikes but i got even because i stole his '61 Lincoln and took it to HS...5000 lbs of heavy metal and suicide rear doors...heh eheh all the gas it could suck up was only $10 a week...Gas in Tucson in 1968 was 19 cents a gallon...
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I hear what your saying Ben but GEEZE. $.50 extra a gallon?

4.5 gallons so the equates to $2.25 per tank, $22.50 per 100 tanks or 1500 miles. $222.00 per 1000 tanks or 10,500.

You just gave your new set of tires away to the gas station.
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

I buy ethanol free just because I'm encouraging these places to keep it available. We buy Mexican Coca-Cola because I don't care to drink the corn either.

NC might have expensive gasoline, but it also has this:

This road is part of the XS Southeast package!
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

Yeah but I have a very happy motorbike...
                          1980 XS650G Special-Two
                          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Beautiful Marty... my home state and your backyard it dont get much better than that...BTW I have ridden 151 both ways ...I'm looking forward to it again...tons of fun!!!
                            1980 XS650G Special-Two
                            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I hear what your saying Ben but GEEZE. $.50 extra a gallon?

4.5 gallons so the equates to $2.25 per tank, $22.50 per 100 tanks or 1500 miles. $222.00 per 1000 tanks or 10,500.

You just gave your new set of tires away to the gas station.
                              Greg,

I would pay the .50/gal extra for performance alone much less better mpg. I would even cut back on beer to pay for it.

John
                              John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                              '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                              Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Working...
                              X