Slimey Crud Run - May 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slimey Crud Run - May 2014

Just thought I'd drop in with a few pics from this year's Slimey Crud Run. http://www.slimeycrudrun.com/ There was a fairly good showing from the XS11 crowd, but I only got to chat with one of the owners. It was an orange bobberesque bike and I believe the plates said Illinois. I didn't happen to get a picture of that one; go figure. I believe I recognize a couple of the others from previous years. I took the Merrimac Ferry this time around which was kind of a neat way to go. I avoided it previously since being on the KE175 isn't really inspiring as far as adding additional miles on the trip. But it was pretty neat so I'd say it was worth it. Without further adieu...

First XS in Pine Bluff:

Got a plexifairing and ready to put on some miles...

and some Showa shocks...are those OE??? Looks like there's a bracket for bags or something.

And check out that final drive plug. I'm wondering if it's some kind of cap that goes on to keep junk out of the hex hole.

Yup, I think I remember this one. It has the RC Engineering exhaust.

Quite the memorable tail cone...

Looks like someone has made it their own, that's for sure.

Yup, I remember this one also...

They say it's good to let some crud build up on the reflective license plate. It keeps the police radar and laser from bouncing off the retroreflective surface as well!

I took the Merrimac Ferry across the Wisconsin River. The ferry is free to ride, and there was essential no wait. Made it on the first run that was going my direction.

One of the guys from another group of adventure-riders snapped my picture for me. On the KE175 today as you can see.

After getting off the ferry and getting lost a little, I made it to Delaney's Surplus. I bought two packs of 4" zip ties ($1 ea.), 1/2 gal of honey ($10), and two bags of oreo brownie and Ritz/Cheddar snacks for $3 ea. There were some nice Drag Specialties "chopper" style cross LED turn signals for like $19 which I passed up. Good deal for someone who is into that stuff though. Ate some cheese which I threw in my bag which was almost melted by this point!

I took my leisurely time getting to Leland, so activity was maybe just past it's peak.

I didn't catch any XS11's in Leland, but there were still a bunch of bikes to look at.

Just as I was about to depart, a guy on a ~65cc moped started talking to me. He was pretty enthusiastic about his 2-stroke bikes and it turns out he has an F7 which I understand to be the predecessor to my KE175. His buddy came over and we chatted for a while. Turns out that the buddy went to school metal stamping tool and die work so we had a nice little chat about that stuff.

I took an entirely different route on the way home but didn't snap any pictures along the way. It was definitely a nice day for a ride here in Wisconsin. I hope some of you got out this weekend and had some nice safe rides.
    '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
    '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Interesting, thanks for posting. I know almost nothing about Wisconsin. Was at the Dells once and that's about it.

Didn't know what the Merrimac was. The Merrimac Ferry, which crosses the Wisconsin River between Sauk and Columbia counties, is Wisconsin's only free ferry.
    Didn't know anything about Slimey Crud was. The Crud Run meanders across the scenic Wisconsin River valley from Pine Bluff in Dane county to Leland in Sauk County.

Sounds like fun. A ride opportunity to celebrate the return of spring the end of fall seasons. Its always good to ride.

After doing a little research I learned something new here too. Beer & Cheese go good together and I guess WI is the place to find it.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

You're welcome - it was a fun ride and I was glad to share via pictures. I'm fond of this ride because it's basically choose your own adventure (route). There are lots of nice routes. In the fall, I hope to take the route through Spring Green.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Pine...43.3355559!5i2
      '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
      '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Comment

Working...
      X