Veterans Day Ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veterans Day Ride

On Monday, we had spectacular weather in southern California. A group of 14 bikes, mostly ridden by veterans left San Juan Capistrano at 9 AM. We wound out, in two groups, along one of the area's favorite motorcycle roads, the Ortega Highway (CA Rte. 74) with a planned destination of the March Air Force Base Air Museum. At the end of the first stretch of the Ortega (after the funnest part), we made a brief stop for layers to be removed and vent zippers to be opened as the day was warming up. We rode on to the museum where entering vets were given a Thank You For Your Service card, made by local school kids, bearing a star cut from a US Flag that had been retired from service. The most interesting, to me, plane in the museum is the SR-71 Blackbird, the stealthy looking high flying spy plane. I marvel that this plane was designed using only pencils and a slide rule. Many planes, old and older are available for viewing inside and outside. For the transportation impaired, the outside planes can be visited via a docent-driven tram, which I highly recommend.

The return trip included a stop at a chain restaurant that was providing free meals to veterans. It was neat to see guys older than I wearing caps proclaiming World War II veteran or Korean War Veteran. From lunch, a nice ride home in the summerlike air (highest temp: 85 degrees F.) with a gas stop in Lake Elsinore, CA. Then back over the Ortega (against the flow of commuter traffic) to home. A great day, a great ride to a neat destination.
Working...
X