California run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California run

I just got back from my first distance ride on a motorcycle. I took the 81 special.
    I left from Phoenix Arizona and went to Vista California the first day.
    The second day I made an attempt at San Francisco but fell short on the I-5 just 20 miles away from Arvin, CA when I noticed she was running at 2k rpm at idle. Kinda freaked me out so I immediately went back to San Diego.
    I poked around at the carbs and readjusted the idle screw and she went back to her normal self.

I spent the next day just cruising and getting lost in the beautiful roads of southern california. I touched Highway 1 a few times and same with the 101, they were absolutely breathe taking!

and today on my way back I took Old HWY 395 up to Temecula where I unfortunately lost my left side cover...
    Then I proceeded east taking the 79 to the 371 to the 74 which was full of twisties and shaved about 30miles off my trip.
    Then it was nothing but the open road taking the i10 back to phoenix.

It wasn't all sunshine and gravy though... I have a disgusting exhaust leak I acquired somewhere in blythe and had to do a cam chain adjustment when I first arrived in Vista. Life is so hard.

I'm finally getting settled in back in Phoenix... trying to adjust to the heat again and still getting over that I can't lane split anymore..
    I also have plenty of awkward tan lines on my face from the glasses and the straps to the half helmet. Not to mention the glove lines....

Great trip all in all, kinda disappointed that I had to head back so soon. I got a call earlier today from one of my employees saying he was quitting.

I'm just really impressed that the bike did what I asked her without much of a fuss. I put about 1300 miles on her in four days. 800 of those were in the first 36hours. Not quite Iron Butt worthy but pretty good for my first time out.
    81 SH

I know what I like and it’s relevancy to the outside world or history is actually pretty minimal.

FYI, It just ain't a ride report without pictures.

Glad you had a great ride and enjoyed the cruising capabilities of these stallions.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

but of course! I didn't take too many pictures, but one my regret was not buying a Go-Pro before I left.

Here was my setup. I didnt have long distance in mind when I put the seat and bars on her...

This one is in Palm Springs. It was ALOT hotter than I imagined. Its like I never left Phoenix...

and Oceanside Harbor.
      81 SH

I know what I like and it’s relevancy to the outside world or history is actually pretty minimal.

Comment

Very interesting setup. I would have been concerned my stuff would slide off the back. The windshield very nearly disappears.

Nice ride and glad you enjoyed the trip.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by Nikotine View Post
          I just got back from my first distance ride on a motorcycle. I took the 81 special.

The second day I made an attempt at San Francisco but fell short on the I-5 just 20 miles away from Arvin, CA when I noticed she was running at 2k rpm at idle.

but pretty good for my first time out.
          Thanks for the post & pics.
          You sure don't mess around with a shake down run, especially with the heat. Sounds like you and bike passed the test + you got in a few days to RIDE.

Must have been all that heavy throttle going over the Grapevine that caused something to change. At least you should have gotta a nice cool off towards the top of the pass.

Keep Riding that bike. Now you gotta try for a run to Yosemite and SF next.
          btw, nice bike .........

Jeff
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

It sounds like you had a great ride. I have been thinking about riding over to San Diego myself. I haven't been to the coast in years.
            80 SG XS1100
            14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Thanks. I was kind of concerned about losing my seabag but after catching some crazy cross winds at the wind farm in Palm Springs, I trusted my bungee cords A LOT more.

The heat probably caught me off guard more than the bike. She's use to running in +105 weather. I guess thats what happens when you assume all of california is 75degrees year round!
              I'm so glad I brought a jacket...
              The coast was extremely beautiful and a great way to escape the heat.

Hopefully the next distance trip I do will be a Saddlesore 1000!
              81 SH

Comment

Originally posted by Nikotine View Post

Hopefully the next distance trip I do will be a Saddlesore 1000!
                How about making it a 1.8K (each way) and ride to the XS11 SE Rally Sept 27-28-29 in Stecoah NC at the Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge. Meet up the TX & OK guys in Tulsa or something to finish the run east. Now "that" would be something different.

Jeff
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Working...
                X