1st big wide on the XS11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st big wide on the XS11

Yesterday I took my first long-ish ride on my '90 XS11 dresser. Rode from Saginaw to Fenton for a birthday party and back. Supposed to be about 110 mi round trip but more than a couple of wrong turns (we were avoiding freeways w/o gps) added about 50mi to that. The bike rode wonderfully. It runs a little rough at 3k but cleans up and is smooth as glass by 4k. The progressive fork springs and XJ air shocks made for a comfortable cruise. The way back tripped me out. We left at 9pm as it was getting dark and while I scoot around in the city after dark this was my first time riding on dark back country roads I didn't know. I took it pretty slow cruising at 55-60mph. In the parts where there was no traffic and just the moon light and my high beam careening through the dark it was relaxing and peaceful. Just keep scanning for deer! But when there was oncoming traffic, esp lots of it, I'd get a little freaked out by my inability to see the road. A few times I noticed I slowed down to 45mph from oncoming headlights, but I made it home in one piece with a couple of new experiences under my belt.

Most interesting thing that happened. On a back country road we came across a train crossing with the gates closed, bells ringing, lights flashing, but the train was stopped. We turned off our bikes, took off our helmets and spent 20-30min talking to the guy who was standing by the car in front of us. That stuff doesn't happen when you stick to freeways!

Over all it was a great trip! Compared to my kz650, you can tell this is the kind of riding the XS11 was built for!
    1980 XS1100G ( ATK Fork Brace, Progressive fork springs, XJ1100 shocks, Offset Handle Bar Risers, Yamaha Fairing , Vetter luggage set )

SOLD - KZ650 ( '77 Engine, '78 frame, 80's ignition, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Pods )

I'm concerned as to why you were not able to see the road properly with your headlight. I feel light I have a light brighter than most cars on the road (I drive on brights). I work in Fenton and commute from Flint daily. I like take Fenton or Torrey Rd down sometimes for a more scenic route.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
      I'm concerned as to why you were not able to see the road properly with your headlight. I feel light I have a light brighter than most cars on the road (I drive on brights). I work in Fenton and commute from Flint daily. I like take Fenton or Torrey Rd down sometimes for a more scenic route.
      I can drive ok by my headlight it's oncoming lights of drivers headed towards me that limit my vision. I just can't see as much of the road as I'd like. Compared to my kz which uses a sealed 7" light the xs is definitely dimmer enough that I put a brighter-than-stock sylvania(?) bulb in it and that's helped. I think it might be a problem with how the fairing is mounted to the bike. I tried an adjustment method I read online and at the limit of the headlight's downward adjustment the beam was still 6" or so inches too high.

We took Fenton rd to where it ends cause we missed Grand Blanc rd, turned around caught GB rd took that to Byron rd to Lansing rd then hopped on m13 back to Saginaw.
      1980 XS1100G ( ATK Fork Brace, Progressive fork springs, XJ1100 shocks, Offset Handle Bar Risers, Yamaha Fairing , Vetter luggage set )

SOLD - KZ650 ( '77 Engine, '78 frame, 80's ignition, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Pods )

Comment

Wow! That was one longggg ride, lol.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Working...
        X