Happy 4th Of July, Simi Valley!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy 4th Of July, Simi Valley!

My buddy, Jim, came in to town and called from the local Motel 6 to ask if I wanted to stop by and drink some free beer for the 4th of July with him and his crew.

Jim and I went to school together and he drives a truck for a moving company. He and his crew pack houses, move furniture, load and unload the trailer and they were all in a great mood and ready for the holiday so I rode over and we spent the rest of the day at the pool drinking beer and ogling women. I ordered a couple of pizzas and we all sat around on the deck to eat dinner.

I quit drinking beer before the pizzas were delivered, then after we ate I rode home and waited until dusk to ride over to Rancho Santa Susana Community Park to watch the fireworks but it was wall-to-wall people and cars. Everyone there was staring at the sky because they were sure the fireworks were about to start and they were going to miss something and they weren't watching what they were doing or where they were going so I decided that it was time to leave before I hit someone or got run over.

I spent the next fifteen minutes slowly filtering through a mile of police, blocked lanes, blocked streets, traffic lights, traffic barricades, traffic cones, pets, partying people, and holiday traffic to go one block to the next open street with a freeway entrance. As much fun as that was, I was really glad to be out of there so I had a blast getting on the freeway and riding back over to Motel 6 to see what the ladies, Jim and the crew were up to.

Motel 6 is about 4 1/2 miles west of Rancho Santa Susana Community Park and the fireworks.

It was too stuffy in the room and no one wanted to watch TV anyway so we went outside and stood around shooting the breeze (no beer for me) with some of the other people at the motel. While we were all talking about the best fireworks shows we'd ever seen and why we were skipping the show in town tonight there was a brilliant flash of light in the east and a loud explosion that rocked the ground, followed by a few more flashes of light and more rumbling.

I'd just left the park so it seemed a little early for the grand finale but none of us really thought anything about it at the time and just assumed there were some heavy-duty fireworks at the show we all weren't watching. A few minutes later a fire truck came screaming down the road but turned off its lights and siren when it got on the freeway eastbound at a high rate of speed. Again, no one thought anything of it and we figured some kids or homeowners had done something dumb with fireworks again this year but the call was canceled as the truck was en route.

We all had to get to bed so I rode home and when I turned on the TV I saw a breaking news blurb about a 4th of July celebration somewhere that had gone wrong so I waited for the story. When the story broke and the location came up "Live in Simi Valley" I was totally shocked. Yes, some of my friends and their families got hurt and was glad I decided to skip the show this year.

So, what did y'all do for the 4th of July this year?
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
    My buddy, Jim, came in to town and called from the local Motel 6 to ask if I wanted to stop by and drink some free beer for the 4th of July with him and his crew.

Jim and I went to school together and he drives a truck for a moving company. He and his crew pack houses, move furniture, load and unload the trailer and they were all in a great mood and ready for the holiday so I rode over and we spent the rest of the day at the pool drinking beer and ogling women. I ordered a couple of pizzas and we all sat around on the deck to eat dinner.

I quit drinking beer before the pizzas were delivered, then after we ate I rode home and waited until dusk to ride over to Rancho Santa Susana Community Park to watch the fireworks but it was wall-to-wall people and cars. Everyone there was staring at the sky because they were sure the fireworks were about to start and they were going to miss something and they weren't watching what they were doing or where they were going so I decided that it was time to leave before I hit someone or got run over.

I spent the next fifteen minutes slowly filtering through a mile of police, blocked lanes, blocked streets, traffic lights, traffic barricades, traffic cones, pets, partying people, and holiday traffic to go one block to the next open street with a freeway entrance. As much fun as that was, I was really glad to be out of there so I had a blast getting on the freeway and riding back over to Motel 6 to see what the ladies, Jim and the crew were up to.

Motel 6 is about 4 1/2 miles west of Rancho Santa Susana Community Park and the fireworks.

It was too stuffy in the room and no one wanted to watch TV anyway so we went outside and stood around shooting the breeze (no beer for me) with some of the other people at the motel. While we were all talking about the best fireworks shows we'd ever seen and why we were skipping the show in town tonight there was a brilliant flash of light in the east and a loud explosion that rocked the ground, followed by a few more flashes of light and more rumbling.

I'd just left the park so it seemed a little early for the grand finale but none of us really thought anything about it at the time and just assumed there were some heavy-duty fireworks at the show we all weren't watching. A few minutes later a fire truck came screaming down the road but turned off its lights and siren when it got on the freeway eastbound at a high rate of speed. Again, no one thought anything of it and we figured some kids or homeowners had done something dumb with fireworks again this year but the call was canceled as the truck was en route.

We all had to get to bed so I rode home and when I turned on the TV I saw a breaking news blurb about a 4th of July celebration somewhere that had gone wrong so I waited for the story. When the story broke and the location came up "Live in Simi Valley" I was totally shocked. Yes, some of my friends and their families got hurt and was glad I decided to skip the show this year.

So, what did y'all do for the 4th of July this year?
    Well, since you insist.........slept till 11am...........watched the rest of the day/evening pass by with 100degree temps. That created bout the same enthusiasim as watching paint dry. Didn't even acknowledge the covered Venturer, and kicked the tire of the ST as I walked by. This morning, the sun came up again. Life is good.............
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Heh, life is good, especially when you can go out and kick and ignore things so happy belated 4th of July, Brant!
      -- Scott
      _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

I had some friends there too and the stand broke from the fireworks and were shooting straight into the crowd. Crazy. I had one friend get hit and got burnt but he is alright. Crazy.
        1979 Yamaha xs1100 Special

Thousand Oaks, CA

Comment

Wow, one of those things you hear about but hope it never hits home. Hope all your friends and family did not get hurt to badly.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Clayton, I'm glad your friends are alright!

Thanks, Don, everyone I know is fine except for a few minor burns and holes in the clothes!
            -- Scott
            _____

Comment

Working...
            X