Yami versus the Harley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yami versus the Harley

Probably a quick soft tail Sportster and fairly new.
    Pulled in front of me at the lights and took off like a scolded cat. So I followed him. Keen kid with full face helmet and snug leather jacket. Naked bike.
    Was running around 75 at first. After each light he would nail it a bit harder, and Yami would be right on his tail pipe. Then he started running around 85 to 90.
    This speed is a big ticket item in BC, and auto impound of your bike. I let him run in front.
    At the lights he would look dead ahead, a common Harley rider practice.
    With a wide open road ahead at another light he really nailed it all the way to just over 100 ( 165 ) on my clock. Yami was right on his tail all the way.
    After that effort he finally looked over at the next light. I gave his bike a thumbs up and we continued our ride in high speed harmony. We did this for about 60 miles. The verdict: The Harley pulls off the line like a haunted out house, very strong and is probably easier to launch than Yami. Yami can match the Harley at any speed and gear. If the revs are up it will roll on as strong as the Harley.
    I think we were around 7000 to 7500 in top gear.
    I would like the new steering head bearings in place before going any faster. We still have a slight squiggle at the front, the Harley was also good in the high speed corners.
    All in all I am quite pleased with my 1979 Yami.
    Unkle Crusty

90 is about top speed for that Harley. You should have pulled up next to him, smiled, and punched it.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Unkle Crusty,

If you have not watched this, it's time you did!

Hildo's Harley vs Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade (English subs)
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Ha ha ha ha ......that's great Marty.

That Harley has a TON of torque that kicks ass off the line but fades away at higher speeds and RPM.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Harley top end

Greg, that is what I do on the newer Suzuki.
          At 165 on my clock I was quicker. That was a new top speed for me and Yami.
          I had the front end apart the day before and greased the steering head bearings, so was being careful. Was prepared to let him get pulled over first.

Marty, I have seen that video. A Harley will launch to about 50, but after that it is all over against a fast bike.

After Friday's ride I promised Yami I would change all the oil, adjust the timing chain and generally be nice to him.
          Today I am working on my new side car.

unkle Crusty

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
            90 is about top speed for that Harley. You should have pulled up next to him, smiled, and punched it.
            For a stock 883 Sporty, that's true. The 1200 will pull to 100+ no problem then start bumping up against the rev limiter. Move the rev limit up with aftermarket ignition, they'll go to about 110. More cam, better exhaust/intake, more yet....
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
              100+ no problem then start bumping up against the rev limiter
              Ha ha ha..........is that like a prophylactic so you don't shoot your wad with too many RPMs?
              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
              X