Heading west...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heading west...

A few buddies are heading on a trip west. I'll be the only one on a Yamaha, but travelling with current/past owners. Brent from Georgia is supposed to make a showing on his Harley, but didn't seem to be 100% last we talked. The plan is for Bob Embry, who had a Maxim for several years but has sold it and gone on to a Concourse, and I to meet up outside Oklahoma City on May 3rd and head across I-40. The rough plan is to stop by the meteor impact crater in Arizona.. a big hole in the ground supposed to be worth looking at... then back out to I-40 and swing by the Grand Canyon... a big hole in the ground supposed to be worth looking at. Then on to Vegas for a day or two. Neither Bob or Brent have been there. I lived there while I was in the Air Force. Hated it. But may be able to show them around town a bit. Only thing I miss of the place is dollar blackjack (Gotta get out of downtown to the hole-in-the-wall places to still find that) riding dirt bikes out in the desert, and the buffets. Ohhhh.. those buffets... lol. Anyone having the pleasure of accompanying Brent to an all-you-can-eat place knows that he likes to get his money's worth... but he'll also try to get your money's worth as well.

At some point on May 7th, we'll head back east @ 160 miles or so to Zion National Park in Utah, where we'll be meeting up with Cody, (Maximan) Bohn Frazer, and Jay Thomas. Any of you remembering my Colorado trip riding off-road.. that was with Jay. Cody still has a 79 standard, and Bohn has an XS11, but not sure of the year. Jay has never been cool enough to own a Yamaha. Those three will be on BMWs. We'll spend a few days in Utah, which is supposed to have some of the most scenic roads in the U.S. in the Grand Staircase Escalante. Not just riding, but hiking, playing tourist, etc.. We'll leave Utah on the 10th, and I'm trying to be home by the 12th.. Mother's Day. SWMBO is letting me leave out the day after our anniversary, so I'm going to try to be back by the 12th.

Anyway, if any of you know of something we need to stop and look at along the I-40 corridor, like the world's largest ball of used chewing gum, let us know. I'll be taking lots of pics... if I see anything worth shooting. I-40 is a fairly boring stretch. We're just using it to make the miles. Without any side trips, it's going to be close to 3k miles, so you gotta hit the superslab to make that kind of miles.

So... just a 5-day heads up notice. The bike still isn't ready... lol. I've got a left turn signal issue that may just have to wait and try to fix on the road when electrician Bob is there. Mechanical stuff is simple to me. Electricity is magic. I have to change the good rear tire out for a gooder one and re-balance the front... and an oil change probably wouldn't hurt. Oh.. and a middle/final drive oil swap. I'll try to even put the plugs back in this time.

You guys out east, where I got the "Most ridden, least washed" award... and assuming you were talking about my bike... I actually rubbed on it just a bit and made a shiny spot. Now if Mother Nature just cooperates. We've been going from 80 degrees one day to snow the next.

To be continued...
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Sounds like a fun trip ........

Lots of great scenery, roads and things to do & see in central and southern Utah. Just exploring Zion Park and Bryce Canyon can use up most all your available time. If you have the time to poke around a bit I like going on the Burr Trail (road east) out of Boulder UT off UT Hwy 12. Paved 1 1/2 lane out of Boulder but from the ridge then down to Lake Powell is dirt road. If you are looking for 'different' then a few miles on Burr Trail is good. Also, I have always enjoyed food at the Burr Trail Grill but it is kinda pricey. Likely you will drive right by there on your way to Torrey to ride across the Grand Staircase. Natural Bridges Rim Drive is worth a 45 minute stop.

Like you said, with limited time you just gotta keep rolling to get to the good stuff in NV & UT. If you feel adventurous hike 10-12 minutes down the South Kaibab Trail in the Grand Canyon but plan 30-40 to get out. Bring water!! Gives you a good sense of the canyon.

As you probably know, Valley of Fire is good too. Temp variations you hit during your travels will be interesting. Looking forward to some pics. If you are heading home via Cortez CO then Mesa Verde is worth at least a 2+ hour stop. Oh, Annual National Park pass is $80 if you are going to hit a lot of parks. Folks over 62 I think it is $10 lifetime pass.

Jeff
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Yeah, temps are supposed to be in the 30's when we leave Friday Morning, and the further west we go, up into the low 90's.

Thanks for the info, Jeff. I'll run this stuff by the others. Cody has been to that Zion National Park 5 or 6 times now and keeps coming back. I've only been through it in the dark when moving from Denver to Vegas.

I think we're going to sorta shoot for Albequerque, NM on the first day. That'll be about a 700 mile day, then it's only another 300 to the meteor crater, then an easy ride into Flagstaff from there. Maybe a good spot to stay for the night. That would give us quite a bit of time to ride up to the Grand Canyon, then on to Vegas.

BUT... no set plans and plans change. Thanks again.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100

Comment

Check out the WigWam Motel in Holbrook for a funky piece of Americana. I've stayed there twice. Always fun.
        Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

Hi Tod Sounds like a great trip. Have fun. Take lots of pictures for us.
          Please say Hi to Cody and Bohn for me. Not sure I know Bob and Jay but Brent visits here and I'll see him in West Virginia.
          Phil
          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Sounds like a good ride with lots to see. Careful, I hear that's bat country.

http://www.boreme.com/posting.php?id=12571
            '79 XS11 F
            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
            Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
            GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

That sounds like a great ride. Too bad you don't have more time.
              Salt River Canyon is beautiful with awesome twisties and sweepers.It is Souh of I40 though, just north and east of Phoenix, and a good several hours out of your way.
              80 SG XS1100
              14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Originally posted by tarzan View Post
                That sounds like a great ride. Too bad you don't have more time.
                Salt River Canyon is beautiful with awesome twisties and sweepers.It is Souh of I40 though, just north and east of Phoenix, and a good several hours out of your way.

Yeah, HWY 77/60 north of Globe AZ.. ridden that before. One of my favorites. Last time I rode it, I wrote about it here. This was one of my favorite trips/ride reports. The highway you talk of is on page 5. Only got a few pics due to frostbite.. lol.

http://xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25893

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
                  Sounds like a good ride with lots to see. Careful, I hear that's bat country.

http://www.boreme.com/posting.php?id=12571
                  Yeah, I think we'll lay off the acid and ether for at least part of the trip...

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100

Comment

The meteor crater is a bit over-rated, IMHO. Its one of those places you visit to be able to say You Were There. If you get the chance take the long route and get to the north side (North Rim) of the Grand Canyon. Much better than the south side, although the south side does have the walk that extends out over the canyon. North rim is cooler, greener, less crowded, and has better formations. The ride in is also interesting.

Zion and Bryce are both interesting, both have good hikes. Bryce is part of the Grand Staircase and has more close-in (narrower path between walls and formations) than Zion. Have camped at Bryce, only day trips in Zion. Either or both are good destinations. Bryce has fantastic formations in early morning or late afternoon light.

Do yourselves a favor and get a Golden Eagle park pass. Its about the same as 1-time admission into any National Park. Well worth it if you plan to hit 2 or 3 parks in a 12 month period.

Sounds like it will be a great trip!
                    Jerry Fields
                    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                    '06 Concours
                    My Galleries Page.
                    My Blog Page.
                    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I liked the space capsule exhibit at the crater, and information on meteorites. But its not exciting. Of course I stopped at The Thing after passing by for years wondering.

Wondering was better.

John
                      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Kind of my thoughts on the Grand Canyon. Brent and Bob have it on their bucket list. I saw it a few years back and thought.. "Yup.. it's a hole in the ground." We'll discuss hitting the north or south side.. maybe both. Just about to head out. Brent got hit with a lot of rain/sleet/cold mix and didn't get quite as far as he wanted, but we're meeting west of Oklahoma City at 1pm to head west. Clear weather going west.

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100

Comment

Stay safe. Have fun. Wish I could go.

John
                          John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                          '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                          Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
                            Stay safe. Have fun. Wish I could go.

John
                            +1
                            Maxim Phil
                            1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                            1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                            2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Well, didn't get near as far as we thought we were going to. Got a late start and only made it to Amarillo, Tx. We got a limo ride from the hotel to The Big Texan restaurant... home of the 72 oz free steak... if you eat it all. Otherwise, it's a dollar an ounce. We watched two people try while we were there.. and fail miserably.

Here's where we met up in Yukon, Oklahoma at the Mcdonalds parking lot. Brent on his Harley. Bob Embry on his Concourse, and my XJ in front.

Brent in West Texas...

Getting ready to jump in the limo taking us to eat dinner...

Tourist trap... but good steaks.

This guy was just getting started on the 72 oz steak. You have one hour to eat it all, along with all the trimmings.

Miserable failure.. Less than 3 minutes left.

Brent doesn't stop eating just for a stupid pic...

Good stout made on site. 9.4% alcohol. Souvenier liter bottle. I had a couple.

Sorry, but not much to report this leg besides the fact that everyone is doing fine and the bikes are all running well. Brent's Harley has over 203,000 miles on it now. Only 340 miles for me for the day. Brent had 520 miles from Russellville, Arkansas, to where we're at in Amarillo.

To be continued...

Current bikes:
                              '06 Suzuki DR650
                              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                              '81 XS1100 Special
                              '81 YZ250
                              '80 XS850 Special
                              '80 XR100