Foray...NYC/LI...To get a bike!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foray...NYC/LI...To get a bike!

Cats' outta da bag...as a number of you either know or are highly suspicious...at any rate I went to NY to buy another vintage bike a 1979 XS1100Std...but not just any XS1100...one that has very special meaning to me and many others who are all too familiar with the old girl...none other than...Randy's SwampThing! Early on last year I knew Randy was planning to get a Wing...and he made mention in a thread of selling off all of his parts...at some point I PM'd him to give me a price if he was interested in selling SwampThing...My timing was impeccable as that very day he had picked up his Goldwing. So he gave me an offer i couldnt refuse...He wanted it gone ASAP and even if i hadnt paid him in full I could still take it..he just wanted it out of the garage he had it stored in along with his GF's bike and his GW...one bike too many so...
    Was planning to do this in Oct last year...the week i was originally planning to go hurricane Sandy hit the NJ/NY area as we all know...Then the plan was to go 2 weeks later...but an early blizzard up there plus the area still reeling from sandy shelved any further plans until the Spring of this year...button her up for the winter pls...
    Originally i was either gonna ride the train or fly up and ride the bike home...but given the NE corridor and the traffic and bad roads in and around NY/NJ made me rethink that strategy. I opted to drive my volvo wagon and bring along the trailer...glad I did it that way too...
    The trip up was unexceptional...i went up early morning of Good Friday...Arrived at Randy's in LI around 9:30 a.m. I had driven all night. The traffic flow was constant all night long. Many folks getting an early start to the Easter weekend. Coming from NC...it felt like I had come back to that monster I call syphyllisation...with all of its urban decay and sprawl and traffic congestion and agressive maniacal drivers...geez it took me aback at first. But then something clicked and the I was in the grooove and my driving style became more agressive to compete on an even keel...lest you get run over...LOL
    It was my first trip back to LI since 1985...I was born there and spent the first 15 yrs of my life there...I hadnt lived there since 1967 though...So it was a homecoming of sorts although this only became evident to me later...It has always been crowded on the Island but its has become even worse these days. Southern Long Island is really not a very friendly place to drive a car let alone a motorcycle...you gotta have some very big cajon'es to ride a bike here. On my way up i stopped in my old town in NJ to get some breakfast at my old favorite bagel shop...and OMG that was awesome..I went back on my return home and picked up a dozen to bring home along with some other goodies... Getting to Randy's at 9:30 am...I was tired..he had to meet some other people for some contracting work on his brother's home so i waited outside where theres an outdoor living area ...sat in the beautiful sunshine and took a short nap...
    When Randy showed an hour later it was a big bear hug and greeting like the true friend and brother he is...He looked great with a beaming smile to boot. Really bouyed my spirits to see him and the bike too.
    This had suddenly become more than jus picking up a bike and bringing it home...I was home and as crowded a place as it is...i felt that bit of nostalgia as many times I would flashback memories of my growing up in Huntington LI. Plus meeting Randy and his Girlfriend...it became a family affair so to say. I really got to know them and ofc we're family now. They were very gracious in welcoming me into their home. There also was something else on my mind...
    I also wanted to visit NYC..specifically the 9-11 Memorial and the new WTC complex with the 1-WTC Bldg that will be the world's tallest @ 1776 feet when its completed later this year....
    So Friday we spent the afternoon riding out to jones beach...abt 35 mile round trip..I rode SwampThing for the first time and ofc Randy rode his Wing...It was a clear sunny day but still quite cold out there...We rode on part of the Southern state Pkwy... a hellish road thats 4 lanes each way of agressive drivers all trying to find the open space to pass the next car ahead of them...somehow we survivied that...and wound up out on LI's southern shoreline...what used to be hundreds of yards wide beaches is all but gone now. Sandy has really destroyed them...very sad to see...many a childhood memory of Jones Beach and Fire Island.
    Friday night we all had homemade pizza that Randy made and grilled...yes grilled on his gas grill... alot of work to make those 4 pizzas...but it was awesome...we all sat around the outdoor area with the sunset and a roaring fire going in the outdoor chiminea they had...quite a nice way to end the day...
    Saturday Randy had arrainged for all 3 of us to have an entry ticket and set time to be at the 9-11 Memorial in Manhattan...YES!
    We leave about 1.5 hrs before our appointed time..to drive the 30 some odd miles from LI back into NYC...plus some time to walk around the city and see some very interesting sites within walking distances of the WTC complex. We took it all in and afterwards when we got back to their place we took the bikes out again for a nother ride..to get a late seafood lunch that was awesome...
    I had thought of returning on Easter sunday as the traffic would be very light getting out of NY/NJ and past Wash DC as well...but Randy and Diane invited me to stay for Easter sunday dinner with friends and family...so i did... also early on Sunday we went to the yearly car show and parade of the cars thru Garden City LI.. we stood and watched classic cars drive by for over an hour...hundreds of participants of all yrs makes and models...was cool to see...came back to the house and Diane was cooking up easter dinner...so I loade SwampThing onto my trailer and strapped her down...
    i would leave early Monday morning and face the wrath of syphillisation driving back to the quietude and country of NC....Pics will follow in another post or 3...
    So I have had the good fortune to acquire a bike that has become a legend and the man who brought her back is nothing short of a Genius! My hats'off to you Randy...While i am changing a few things on her to suit me the bike is nearly perfect. She is as close to turnkey as you can get...with a few personal tweaks she will be 110% turnkey... Its good to have a vintage ride...i pray i cn keep this one as long as i had my XJ...and she will always be taken care of...
    So I guess y'all know what I'll be riding to XSEast... as i said..pics to follow...
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Nice story, congrats on your new friends including Swampthing. Whats the background on yhe bike anyways, can you recap its story or have a link to read? The history in these bikes are nothing short of amazing sometimes.
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

short story is the bike was a complete basket case and has been totally gone thru and rebuilt and reconditioned...itss been 10 yrs since it was done and the bike is still outstanding...only the paint needs to be re-done...I tried to load some pics but lost them when PB locked up on me was copying and pasting here but then it was lost..am tired now and will continue later this day...
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

one pic before I hit the sack...at home shes' a repatriated southern belle

BTW Thanks to all of youse that knew and kept it under their hats...I wanted to make this a surprise for XSEast but i just felt it was time to make this ride report while it was still fresh in my mind...
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

More Pics

First sighting in the garage...she is anxiously awaiting emergence from her winter roost...

The Pizza Grill-er...

Picture Perfect Day! Heading into Manhattan...

Brooklyn Bridge...

Finally afoot in da city...cool perspective...That top tower is the radio tower...it has to have enough ornamental architecural value to be counted into the total height of the bldg which will be 1776 feet...

1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

These pools are the footprints of the ill fated Twin Towers turned into pools of flowing water and framed by a Granite Border with all the names of the dead...a very sad and reflective place... for the past tragedy that occurred here but also that vibrancy of Americans and the revitaliztion of our spirit and as we look towards the future...

Getting ready to ride around LI...

Ready to head back to NC...
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Photobucket sucks...ever since they re did their site...they haved sucked big balls...used to be when posting a pic it didnt go to the entire album when you clicked on the pic to resize...but now apparently when you resize these pics it takes you to my PB album where you can see all of the pics i took on this trip...As it was... my other albums in another account had also been screwed up by PB so I had to create this account...at any rate it looks like I'm done with photosucket...
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Great story,great pictures,great bike.Congrat's on your new ride.
                FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
                1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

I like a lot and good to see Randy even a picture
                  Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
                  Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
                  and SOXS
                  2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

Awesome score Ben, bike looks tip top, see you at the fall rally.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks fellas...just a couple minor points to tweak and congfigure the bike to my arse...Even though the saddleman seat is fairly new ...the verdict is still out as to wether or not I am comfortable on it...could be the difference between riding it LD or trailering it instead...certainly not as comfortable as my ST1100...but still not a torture rack either...and it looks like i may need some new rear shocks...but in every other respect this bike runs even better than it looks. I've got a little over a month to get the suspension setup my way before the XSEast rally..so theres not alot of time to dawdle around...
                      1980 XS650G Special-Two
                      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by hamjam View Post
                        I like a lot and good to see Randy even a picture
                        Yes Jim it was good to see him and meet his GF too....they are both coming to the rally ...Sure do miss not seeing you recently...and am offering lots of prayers to the man upstairs for your upcoming surgery... sure do wish you could be there in body although i know you'll be there in spirit.
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I see that seat I sold him is still holding up.
                          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I knew you'd let us know what bike you got sooner rather than later.
                            Congrats on getting a great bike.
                            Can't wait to meet all of you guys at XSEast.
                            Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                            The Green Monster
                            K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                            Got him in '04.
                            bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                            Scarlet
                            K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                            Got her in '11
                            Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                            Hugo
                            Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                            Cold weather ride

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                              I see that seat I sold him is still holding up.
                              Re-covered by Saddleman...the verdict is still out as to wether or not i like it...the height is correct but its also very hard and the bucket of the seat doesnt allow me to move or shift my weight around...short trips are ok but i suspect an LD ride will be something less than comfortable...but if its too far to ride i will trailer it...to me its more important to have a vintage ride at these rallies regardless of how one gets it there.
                              1980 XS650G Special-Two
                              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                              X