My upcoming Summer Road Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My upcoming Summer Road Trip

I am speaking at the Overland Expo in Morman Lake, AR in May (you should go, Austin Vince, Lois Pryce, Ted Simon and more will be there. Well, and me), and am (of course) riding out there.

Since there has been the occasional "Hey, I live right there, why didn't you tell me!" comment posted on my adventures, I thought I would share the tenative route so people had the chance to flee the area.

http://goo.gl/maps/3WT7I

The To See places are the USS Texas, The Alamo, Petrified Forest, The Great Salt Lake, the Golden Spike, and then back towards Milwaukee.

Right now I am planning on bring Curiosity, my 250, since I am talking about little motorcycles, though if the daily mileage on the final route gets up over 450 or so I will probably switch to the XS11 (right now it's around 250-300).
    I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

How did you get google maps to map your route like that?

When I have done multi legs, once I get past 6 or 7 legs it becomes weird and starts rerouting where I dont want to go.

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
      How did you get google maps to map your route like that?

When I have done multi legs, once I get past 6 or 7 legs it becomes weird and starts rerouting where I dont want to go.
      John,
      Looks like he has only plotted 4 points. Milwaukee, Battleship Texas, Mormon Lake AZ, and Golden Spike. So he didn't exceed the limit which is what happened to you went you hit 7 or 8 map points. I thought the limit was maybe nine, but as you said, it has a mind of its own vs. where you want it to plot.

Jeff
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

If you download google earth you can plot to your heart's content. At least the last time I had it installed you could.
        http://www.google.com/earth/index.html
        Looking for an XS

79 XS1100SF (RIP)
        - stock standard headers(stupid PO), slip-on after-market mufflers.
        - after-market rear shocks (PO installed)
        - no airbox, POD filters

Misery remembered is ADVENTURE!

Comment

I built the linied map in parts, adding a stop for each location and saving it my 'my maps' (an option at the end of the directions). While a little clunky and not the easiest to edit (not a goal really, just showing my approximate route. I wander a lot) I haven't found a maximum number of legs I can add.

So, have a two and from, save the leg, flip the to and from (so the destination for the first leg is now the starting point), add the next destination, save, and so on.

I threw this together just now, with nine stops and showing more of the places I want to hit on the road.

http://goo.gl/maps/eGxrg

I like google earth, it really is a slick program, but it's resource intensive and requires a download. Everything in the cloud is nice, so long as you can get there.
          I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Comment

when are you planing to be in the Salt Lake area? I live just north (10 miles or so) and if I can get off work I would love to ride to Golden Spike (if you want company). When you head back east you will pass my house (with in a half mile). I can even offer a room and shower (if needed and as long as SWMBO OK's it) PM me if you interested.
            Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
            80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
            82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
            82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
            82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
            72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
            72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

Originally posted by Pain View Post
              I like google earth, it really is a slick program, but it's resource intensive and requires a download. Everything in the cloud is nice, so long as you can get there.
              Heh, that is true. You can't run it on a tablet for sure. That is also why they don't allow all that functionality through the web. a) its a pain to do graphics(changing with HTML5 though) b) all that processing would eat up servers

Google would much rather not pay processing costs for millions of people to all run that program simultaneously.
              Looking for an XS

79 XS1100SF (RIP)
              - stock standard headers(stupid PO), slip-on after-market mufflers.
              - after-market rear shocks (PO installed)
              - no airbox, POD filters

Misery remembered is ADVENTURE!

Comment

Originally posted by tcoop View Post
                when are you planing to be in the Salt Lake area?
                I would like to be up there sometime on the 21st (Tuesday), and will probably need a shower. I will PM a bit closer to the day.

My northern route is somewhat weather dependent. I would like to think all the passes will be open, or passable (I have a broad definition of passable) by late May, but the way winter is hanging on I will have to keep an eye on it.

Comment

Working...
                X