Southeast Rally North Carolina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southeast Rally North Carolina

Not my best ride report, but lots of pics. If anyone sees one they want the full size of instead of these little ones posted, just PM me.

I left out from Oklahoma on the open road Thursday before the rally, and it was POURING. Not a great start, but it only lasted about 30 miles. Of course, it took 150 miles to dry back out. Here you see my gloves drying on my motorcycle clothesline.

I met up with Greg at the eastern edge of Oklahoma for a quick bite...

...then back on the road.

We met up with Harry in western Arkansas

A little ways down the road, we'd just got settled in to do some serious miles, when Greg decided things were going WAY too smoothly. He ran over something and had a blowout on the front.

The tire came loose from the bead, so our little air compressors wouldn't pump enough air to seat it back. No other choice but to get it towed. Thank you AMA and their free roadside assistance! Greg got to ride in the tow truck and get some alone time with the guy. I think Harry got jealous though.

We passed some scenic spots that were nice to ride through and see, but Greg and his trailer queen didn't notice them while he was trying to get the wreckers number. (It's on the door, dummy.)

After a new tire at the Yamaha dealership in Russellville, AR, we rode out in the rain to Little Rock to meet up with John a couple hours later than planned. After we met up with John, we got out on the highway that soon turned into a parking lot for probably an hour. We finally got through that construction mess, and it was dark before we saw this sign.

We stayed the night in Memphis, hoping tomorrow would be better.

The next morning, it was cool, but no rain. I took a shot of everyone behind me, and they all showed me the love (A recurring theme this trip it seemed) by telling me I was #1! A triple flip on motorcycles is pretty impressive!

Finally, we start getting into something other than straight flatlands. I must have caught them all napping since they showed no love.

Once we turned off of I-40 and headed south on 129, we came up on another parking lot in the middle of the road. People were hollering that there'd been a bad accident. I asked John if he wanted to go help, and so we rode up to the crash site. No EMS or cops were there yet. A guy was trapped pretty good in the truck and had gas dripping down on him. We (Mostly John) tried to just keep him calm until the other people got there.

They finally got the scene cleaned up enough for us to slip on through, and we finally got to some decent back country roads after hundreds of miles of interstate.

Out in the middle of nowhere, some guy was just sitting on the guardrail randomly??? lol

A pic of the dam. You can't tell, but the water coming out of the dam was much warmer apparently and was making a foggy scene that reminded me of some Stephen King movie.

A statue dedicated to the Tail of the Dragon at a Harley shop on the highway. I pulled up on my Yamaha, got "The look", then walked over to ask if they had any koozies or such with the TOTD on it. They just turned around and walked away from me. That was fine. I didn't want to give anyone any of my money that had that mentality anyway.

More pics on the road...

No wonder there's so many wrecks on the TOTD! Nobody has a damn clue which way to go??

We finally arrived at the Iron Horse Inn. this is the back side where we camped, and our tent home (Thanks to Brent) for the next few days.

A night shot with the moon and everyone sitting around the camp fire.

To be continued...
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Everybody getting ready for kickstands up the next morning.

Everyone studying the route really well... except Gary. Eh.. we ended up in the same place as everyone anyway!

They then announced that they were going to split everyone into three groups, and gary would be leading the fast group. Then everyone left when Gary did.. lol.

Earl G, Yamahansolo, and Ryan Johnson on his Ninja were ahead of me, following Gary. The roads were wet with lots of dead leaves covering them, so we had to ride pretty mellow.

A shot behind me.. and there were more around the curve.

Heading up into the clouds...

The great Smokey Mountains

We all made a stop here (Except John who was getting his muffler fixed) and got a group pic that has been posted already.

Harry.

I hate posting my own pic, but I always send the link to these ride reports to my mom and I have to hear "Nice pics, but how come there are never an yof YOU in them??"

We rode further and got to Water-something-Knob overlook. It was super foggy, then it would clear off for a second.

While we were sitting there, the rain started. Nice, wonderful, 32.5 degree (F) rain. Monsoon type rain. I brought some rain gear on this trip that works really well, and it was nice and dry where I'd forgot it this morning in the tent. This ice-cold water would run off my helmet and face shield, as well as down my tank to the apparently perfect meeting place... right at my crotch. There would be no manhood comparisons in the tent this night, no matter how much Harry and Greg begged.

Later, we split up with a few going to Bryson City for a beer run before heading back to the Inn. Across the river as you get there, I noticed the far bank was made up of lots of old car bodies and other scrap iron to help with erosion.

I kept seeing this ivy all over the place. I was told it's an invasive species, but it sure looked cool. It would completely take over whole hillsides in places.

Back to the Inn after that for some eatin', drinkin' and lyin'.

Next morning, it was cool, but the roads seemed to be in better shape and more dry, but still wet in some spots. Out onto HWY 28…

A couple pics of Harry and me again.

To be continued...

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100

Comment

The Tree of Shame where they put pieces of wreckage on. It is humbling. Some of the pieces say “Rest in Peace” or “In loving memory”, so you know there were fatalities involved in some of them.

Back on the road to the dam overlook on the Tail of the Dragon.

I saw this sticker and thought it quite appropriate.

Ben, you big dummy, that’s not how you do the “Shocker”!

Nope, that’s not it either… Keep practicing.

Harry, killin’ weeds. The world is a man’s bathroom!

On the road again…

Several of these nice covered bridges around.

The top side of the clouds….

The Nantahala Riders leaving the Nantahala National Forest and riding in to Georgia.

And there’s ol’ Grumpy Butt. I wish that guy would cheer up some.

Here, we stopped at a waterfall, and I got a pic of Robin, Marty’s wife, as well as Gary, who’s trying to act like he didn’t just take a pic of her butt while Marty’s back was turned.. lol.

Ol’ Grumpy again.

Here ya go, Mom.

We made another stop down the road, and John showin’ some love.

Robin taking a break from the ride.

Getting behind slow traffic sucked, but it did give me time to look around at the changing colors.

Gary getting some “Turn and Burn” on.

The riding officially done, we split off to get supplies and a quick bite. Marty went to get some socks and half a dozen people came with him, so assuming there were at least 6 pair in the package? We stopped at McDonalds and I noticed John’s tire. Yup.. he got all the use out of that one!

I got pretty much packed up that night and got ready to head out early in the morning. I was gone by 7:30. I stopped for this pic at the beginning of HWY 28.

Low light? Check!

Raining? Check!

Slick leaves all over the road? Check!

Having all of HWY 28 and the Tail of the Dragon completely to myself? PRICELESS!!

As I stated in the other forum, I had some problems on the way home and spent from about noon to 8:30 at night working on the bike.

But it went all back together and it got me home just fine the next day. Ready to do it again. See you all next year! Got my reservation already.

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100

Comment

Also, for those of you that want to watch them, here's the videos I shot in the order I shot them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qTWlqXwSkY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS1e0UM3_H8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zOM1Xh7ErI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q80VjIwE17I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qQKQDQ-zog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdCNrBG8t7U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzMZTjMgmcM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6LNjkSJb-Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO50aWWiHzI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KASswgxcgOg

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100

Comment

Very nice! I might really have to try and make thus one next year. Going to be moving to Indianapolis so I will already be 5-6 hour closer!
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Nathan,

If you want a room with a bed, make a reservation now. They will only hold our rooms until 31 Dec. It's a popular place.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Those are great photos and captions. That invasive species you mentioned is kudzu. If you sit still long enough, it will take you!
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Looks like an awsome ride, one for the bucket list. Thanks for sharing, very enjoyable.
                81 H

Comment

great ride great pics
                  XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
                  MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
                  Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
                  Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
                  Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
                  Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

Hey Todd,
                    Great job on the pics, videos, and the humor, awesome !!
                    I was at TWO three years ago and had a great time with the group, plan to be there next year. Again, thanks fo the pics and particularly the humor.
                    1980G Standard, Restored
                    Kerker 4 - 1
                    850 Rear End Mod
                    2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                    Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                    Automatic CCT
                    1980GH Special, Restored
                    Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                    Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Working...
                    X