XS VS Firebird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS VS Firebird

I recently went camping to Rock point. (southern Ontario) The area has some nice old highways and streets that while not deserted gives you a fair amount of leg room. If your in the area (around Dunnville) and are not comfortable taking the major highways this is a good place (along old, and new highway 3) to get used to your bike.

Now to the VS part. I was returning to Rock point with some supplies from Dunnville, its a 20K drive that along old highway 3. The speed limit is 80kph. Except for a few parts that want you to go at 60. So there I was driving along when I found myself behind a black fire bird. The bird had two people in it that from what I could see were 20-30 years old. They were travailing at 40kph. I figure hey maybe they are looking at the scenery, or the driver is new. I'm in no rush so I follow for a minute or so. Their speed never increased so I figure its time to pass. So i signal, move to the other lane to pass. When I got beside them they decided to speed up. I'm am not much of a risk taker and don't feel like playing that game so I slow down to get behind them and back into the lane. They slowed down with me. At that point I figured "to hell with this!" And floored the puppy.

Some back ground info on my xs and the trip. Part of the reason I took the trip was so I could get used to driving a bit more. The last time I had ridden was in 2011. My bike died the day of my drivers test. So I had to first wait till I got my bike running again, then get my m1 again. And finally get used to driving again. I do not like going on the main highways. I generally drive when there is only light traffic if I can. I'm uncomfortable going over 80. The bike is a 1981 XS1100 model h. The former owner did not take very good care of it. (She was only running on one cylinder when I got her) Had been in an at least two accidents, plus one I had on her. (Truck tried to kill me) Had some of the usual problems for an old semi discarded bike. I fixed what I could on her, had a mechanic do the rest. I finally had her up and running once more.
    This was my camping trip/test/get used to the bike(again) trip.

On that ride I found that she could go from 60kph to 190kph within 4 seconds. I shot past the bird got back in the right lane. In time to see a O.P.P car pull up behind him lights siren a blazing. I stopped. The officer took my info and sent me on my way. In the corner of my mirror as I was pulling away, I saw the two people from the bird entering the Cop's car.

I'm no longer uncomfortable going over 80kph.

I hate when folks do that to me, which happens all to often as much as I drive. But I alos love to hear such stories. Carma can be a real b!tch at times!!
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Man I had a real bad time in that same sort of situation. I had some old guy in a mini van crowding me in all directions for about 2 miles one day. I was cruising behind him on a free way. He flipped on his blinker to take an exit then changed his mind. I passed him, then he got beside me on the left weaving all over, I slowed, he changed lanes in front of me then slowed again. I passed, he rode my bumper etc... He ended up crowding beside me yet again, having enough of this DF I twisted the throttle right as we crested a hill and there was a stater. He was a prick! First thing he said to me was that he is also a motorcycle cop so he knows what he's talking about. I thought I might catch a break if I told him what was happening. Instead he started chewing me out. His exact words were this, "You must have really been getting on it to be doing 81 MPH on that old thing!" I said, "What? This bike comes factory with 95HP." I was snickering. He says, "Oh bull****! There's no way this thing had that much power, you had to have been giving about everything it had." So I told him to get on it and start it up. When he did I told him to crack the throttle. He winded it out and got a little jumpy right after. Then he believed me. I still got the ticket though.

That day makes me want to start carrying bolts to throw at peoples wind shields, but I know it will only reflect bad on the motorcycle crowd. I did buy this vest though.

On the front it says B.A.D.D. Bikers Against Dumb Drivers
      Last edited by Yard Dogg; 09-04-2012, 04:05 PM.
      "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Yard Dogg, I have a friend who is a Motorcycle cop and he rides the fancy BMW 2 wheeled pig, err cop-mobile and when I first got my bike he said almost exactly the same thing, "that old piece of $#!? couldn't touch my Beamer!" So I let him ride it. Completely changed his mind and now he's looking for one to ride for himself.
        Current Ride:
        81 XS1100LH Midnight Special
        Tkat Fork-Brace
        Previously Owned:
        79 XS750 Special

Comment

That's funny.
          "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Working...
          X