Explain this to me.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explain this to me.....

Went riding around Talihina, Ok this weekend and had a blast. Went up and down Talimena drive a couple of times and did a few side roads. Had to be careful though because every idiot who could afford a shiney noise maker was out there either acting as a rolling road block by riding under the speed limit or riding faster than thier ability and endangering others. One of them crossed the center line and clipped my friend on a blind curve and another flipped us all off because we passed the rolling road block he was with. I have a question for all you Harley riders out there. Why do you get pissed when someone who wants to ride at a faster pace than 10 or 15 UNDER the speed limit passes you? If you want to ride #ucking slow pull over and let people by when you see them stacking up behind you. Either that or speed up and enjoy a spirited ride. Don't get pissed because someone wants to enjoy the ride THIER way. here's a pic of Ivan's Muffler on his FJR where the HARDLEY rider crossed the center line and clipped him. he didn't have the hard bag attached at the time or it would have destroyed it he did however have his wife on the back and luckily it missed her leg. I think there are a lot of riders out there who need to spend less on chrome and the "in" clothes to ride with and MORE on riding lessons.

Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkxaF5Pq5D8
    Steven

1981 XS 1100 LH
    1979 XS 1100 SF

Comment

I love George Carlin. +1 on his thoughts. Not that I have not been known to get just as frustrated and blow the mirros off half the group I was riding with on a certain occasion, after riding behind a farkled out harley that could not take curves at even their rated speeds.

But I do not blame the rider for going at his speed, and if he is not part of a group or my group, he certainly has no obligation to give up the road he paid taxes on just like me to make my ride more enjoyable. If it is botheirng you that badly, pull over and wait ten or fifteen minutes to let them get ahead of you enough you can travel at your speed.

Obviously, there is not excuse for the one that clipped Ivan.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
        If it is botheirng you that badly, pull over and wait ten or fifteen minutes to let them get ahead of you enough you can travel at your speed.

Obviously, there is not excuse for the one that clipped Ivan.
        So, your saying my tax payments mean nothing and just pulling off to the side and waving faster riders past would be more trouble than the faster riders to stop and allow stupidity (per George) to prevail?

I'm sorry Don, I don't understand your reasoning.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
          I'm sorry Don, I don't understand your reasoning.
          Some things in life are more surprising than others, this one, not so much.

What I am saying is that the guy riding slower has just as much right to ride slow on that road as you have to ride fast on it. While it might be courteous to see a stackup behind and pull over, the slower rider has no obligation to do so. Kind of like George Carlin stated, you see him as an "Idiot", and when you pass him and take off at your speed, he will see you as a "Maniac". The folks that paved that road did so for the use of the public, fast or slow. They did not disciminate. So your optoins are to ride slow along with him, find another road, or stop and let him get far enough ahead of you not to effect your ride.

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
            Some things in life are more surprising than others, this one, not so much.

What I am saying is that the guy riding slower has just as much right to ride slow on that road as you have to ride fast on it. While it might be courteous to see a stackup behind and pull over, the slower rider has no obligation to do so. Kind of like George Carlin stated, you see him as an "Idiot", and when you pass him and take off at your speed, he will see you as a "Maniac". The folks that paved that road did so for the use of the public, fast or slow. They did not disciminate. So your optoins are to ride slow along with him, find another road, or stop and let him get far enough ahead of you not to effect your ride.
            So, safely passing isn't an option in your opinion? And, obscene gestures for my use of a "public" road as I see fit within the law are acceptable?

However unsuprising to you I still don't understand your reasoning. If the speed limit is maniacal then yes, I am a maniac.

BTW, I paid those "folks" to pave that "public" road also. That Hardley rider didn't build it.
            Last edited by BA80; 09-03-2012, 09:21 AM.
            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

You have every right to go at whatever speed you choose. Just have to follow the laws and use common sense to do it safely. I guess I feel like your stereo typing Harley riders and the fact is an ******* can be on any kind of bike. That same group may have stopped to help you if you were on the side of the road.Some anyway. It only takes a couple to give everyone a bad name and getting clipped there's no excuse for and I think I might have called the cops and made the prick pay. I guess it depends on if he did it on purpose or was not paying attention. I don't take kindly to rudeness and don't care who or where it is. Plate numbers are easy to take down and I doubt many in his party would do something that stupid. I wasn't there so I can't say.
              I'm no Harley owner but I know my share and never heard a negative word from anyone about what I ride. Glad no one was hurt.
              81 H

Comment

We did catch up with the guy and he said he would pay for the damage amidst thinly cloaked jabs towards bikes not assumed to be made in the US. I wonder if they really know where Harleys are built?

There probably would not have been any problem if they hadn't tried to blame it on us. That was total arrogance.

When I came around that curve ahead of Ivan it looked like a bunch of children riding tricycles with bent wheels. I had to hog the white line at the edge of the road to avoid an accident. Ivan was just unlucky to encounter them at the apex of the turn.

Then the a$$hole who flipped us off sealed the deal for me.

This is not the first act of arrogance we have recieved from Harley posers. They don't seem to have the balls to back it up or the riding skill to keep up though and they have been given the opportunity for both.
                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Yeah I quit paying attention to the jap crap comments a long time ago.
                  Go to any home in America and see where the TV electornics/clothes and thousands of other things came from. If your going to be a purest your going to throw 3/4th of your stuff away including some of the parts on the Harley. So the comments don't mean much. As American workers we been sold out a long time ago. I think free trade ment a little more at one time. But like I said one or two jerks don't speak for any group and I think most riders started on something other then a Harley and they know it. Funny, the one guy I know thats ridden Harleys since he was a kid said he wouldn't hesitate to drive mine to Oregon when he saw it. Sorry you had a bad experience either way, riding is a brotherhood to me no matter if your rich or poor and treating folks like you want to be treated. Hopefully it never happens again and I do think theres a lot more good people riding then a- holes.
                  81 H

Comment

I suppose your right but it seems the negative is far more prominent than the positive. Very unfortunate that a brand will sell an attitude like that and people will buy into it.
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

I understand Don's reasoning and agree that they don't HAVE to pull over and wave anyone by, though that would be the most courteous thing to do. What I don't understand, and it's happened on the last two rides I've been on, (And again on many many others) was when we would come up behind a group of Harleys, they of course would not move over and couldn't seem to make the curves even at the warning speeds that are posted for loaded semi trucks, so at a long straight-away in a passing zone, we would pass to leave them to ride at their pace and try to enjoy the ride at our pace. For some reason, being passed pisses them off to no end and they think everyone should be subjected to their personal opinion of riding pace. That apparent arrogance is what I find baffling. The term "Share the road" apparently only applies to a Harley riders and cages in their minds, not for THEM to actually have to share the road with anyone else.

And yes, when we were there getting the insurance info for the clipped muffler, the other morons were making comments about the "Chinese buffet" they were looking at.

This is not an opinion of Harley riders that has been based on one or two instances. This type of behavior is seen time and time again over the years and many many thousands of road miles.
                      Last edited by trbig; 09-04-2012, 08:12 AM.
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                        For some reason, being passed pisses them off to no end and they think everyone should be subjected to their personal opinion of riding pace. That apparent arrogance is what I find baffling. The term "Share the road" apparently only applies to a Harley riders and cages in their minds, not for THEM to actually have to share the road with anyone else.
                        I COMPLETELY understand being baffled and insulted by that behavior.

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                        And yes, when we were there getting the insurance info for the clipped muffler, the other morons were making comments about the "Chinese buffet" they were looking at.

This is not an opinion of Harley riders that has been based on one or two instances. This type of behavior is seen time and time again over the years and many many thousands of road miles.
                        I have never had them do it quite that openly or in my face. I would have started walking around their bike counting out loud, when they ask what I was doing tell them "Counting the made in Japan or Hong Kong parts on your bike. This may take quite a while"
                        Last edited by DGXSER; 09-04-2012, 08:25 AM.

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

I've rode the same route several times, on a HD. I've been stuck behind and passed by bikes from both sides of the ocean. I try to let the racers pass and have had the same type of fools cross over into my lane as you had. I've not noticed it being just the HD crowd that can't ride though, I see the same crap on the metric bikes too.
                          US Army 1986-1991

1979 1100 Special (on the road after 16 years!)
                          1983 GS300L (wifes ride)
                          1985 Super Glide
                          2012 Super Glide

Comment

Humpty dumpty groupers

I understand the thought process that you should be able to enjoy the road just as much as the other guy. I also hate to putter behind groups like that but understand the advice to just let them go their way and avoid conflict is the best advice. You know usually when I am behind people going 10 to 15 miles under the speed limit I do just what cops do. I associate the speed to being so dopped up life is passing you bye. Truth is normally a good cop could probably write a few tickets there but if you do anything to disturb their ride you gain the wrath of the entire group. Anyone who hangs from APE hangers probably has the same mentality. The best thing to do is just follow along behind. They will stop at some point and line them all up in a big tilted row to show off their group. Then you can pass them by and go on your way, but understand probably more than one carries a gun and looks for a reason to use it so if you pull one of them bump a domino and go tricks make sure you are gone.
                            To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                            1980 G Silverbird
                            Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                            1198 Overbore kit
                            Grizzly 660 ACCT
                            Barnett Clutch Springs
                            R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                            122.5 Main Jets
                            ACCT Mod
                            Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                            Antivibe Bar ends
                            Rear trunk add-on
                            http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Originally posted by ViperRon View Post
                              understand probably more than one carries a gun and looks for a reason to use it
                              That would turn into the OK corral with this bunch.

Originally posted by ViperRon View Post
                              so if you pull one of them bump a domino and go tricks make sure you are gone.
                              Once again........in freakin' english.
                              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                              X