Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bikes and Banjoes.....Deliverance....

......from the everyday.

A few of us got together this weekend in Arkansas to spend a little time riding the exellent roads there and some time with good friends. I'm not sure which I enjoyed most.

we had Brent from Georgia, Cruiser from Minnesota, Bob Falter from Iowa, Russ and Ivan from Kansas, Bigfoot and Vince from Missouri and trbig, David and me from Oklahoma. I don't think I forgot anyone.

I got a few pics and I'm sure the others did too. Hope they will all share them.

Except for me slipping in a Harley track (oil spot) and laying my bike down on a hairpin turn there was no damage done. It was a real slow low side and the only damage was a little scrape on the left engine guard and my red face.

We met at the hotel in Eureka Springs Arkansas on Friday evening. Some of the others had met up in Harrison the evening before and they took the LOOOOONG way to ER Friday AM.

L to R... Brent, Cruiser, Bigfoot, trbig, Russ, and Ivan.

That's Bob Falter sitting over there in the corner all by himself like he's special or something. . Vince showed up later but I didn't want to embarrass him with a pic.

We stopped for a break and a drink here.....somewhere.

Here's Vince (the one in the yellow shirt that looks like he just stepped off a Harley but he rides an XJ) and David, trbigs son ( the one that looks like he's sabotaging Ivans FJR) at the same stop.

Uh huh, yep, uh huh.

Arkansas' Grand Canyon.....

At the overlook where those pics of the canyon were taken. I think they call it a "holler' in Arkansas though. We stopped at The Cliff House Resaurant just a little ways down the road from here afterwards for lunch. One whole wall of the dining room is glass and looks out over the valley.

Brent getting ready to head back to Georgia on the Harley Davidson Road King Fire Fighters Edition Sunday morning

Hamin' it up for me taking pics as he left. He mad a lap around the hotel sign.

See ya next time Brent!! A great man to visit with right there.

I know trbig got some video of the roads. Maybe he'll share some. Others got some pics too.

I got the thread started y'all. Waiting for y'alls contributions.

Had a GREAT time. A wonderful Fathers Day Weekend.
    Last edited by BA80; 06-17-2012, 05:43 PM.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

looks like fun and good weather

Glad all made it safely.

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

squeal piggy lol

looks like u guys had a ball.
      pete

new owner of
      08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
      1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
      zrx carbs
      18mm float height
      145 main jets
      38 pilots
      slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
      fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
        looks like fun and good weather;
        Glad all made it safely.

John

It was a little hot but not as hot as SA was. It's always fun riding with the gang as you know John. It gets safer as Tod gets older.

Originally posted by petejw View Post
        squeal piggy lol.
        looks like u guys had a ball.
        You would love it Pete. BTW.............What happens in Arkansas, stays in Arkansas.

No Homo........
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Next time...

Dont plan it by PM

John

Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

Comment

John, at first, Greg said he was inviting everyone he likes, so your name wasn't on the emails.

BUT.. after his email only went to himself, he decided to include a few more. Sorry your name wasn't added. On the ride, we discusssed a few people we'd forgotten to include. It happens on short notice.. sorry. Plus... any more than what we had by running it publicly, it becomes something that rhymes with cluster truck.

I didn't take very many pics at all for once. And as far as being safer because I'm getting older... I think it has more to do with my kid following me that will try anything I do on a bike, so it helps keep me in check a bit. It'll probably be this evening before I can load any pics, and the only videos I have are of that HWY 123. I can now officially announce that road as a great one since I found one I liked better! lol.
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Ha!

Tod,

No worries mate, I was just giving Greg a hard time

I know what you mean about your son following...since Dylan started riding I noticed I am better about wearing more and better gear when I ride as an example (and trying to keep it on the asphalt!)

Next time though!

John

Comment

Yeah, you missed it John. Tod almost got his ass whipped by a Harley rider because Ivan Passed him. Or was it the other way around?

That Ivan is a trouble maker.

Jerks were doing 35 in a 55 and got pissed because we didn't want to follow thier brake lights through the twisties.
                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Muscle

Next time bring along some muscle to do the "light work" on those Harley riders

Can't blame Ivan for wanting to go fast - heck on that FeeJer I don't know why he even hangs around us slow, old XSes anyway! Must be the stimulating conversation.

John

Comment

Yeah, that Harley guy was an idiot, but I handled it totally wrong. We waited until one of the three long straightaways that Arkansas has to pass this group of Harleys that had cars and a bikes all piled up behind them. After going past, obviously at a high rate of speed (Ivan started it..) to pass them all, we came to an intersection and pulled over to wait for the couple that couldn't get around... and they proceed to pass us again as we sit there waiting. That alone says idiot to me... but the last guy, with 10 guys to choose from, stops by me and proceeds to start pointing a finger in my face, saying how we endanger everyone on the road by doing that.. blah blah. Of course, I jump off the bike for a little closer, spirited "Conversation". The Food Network Guy Fieri's twin brother wouldn't bite.

What I wanted to say, was to tell him that he had every right to ride around at whatever pace they wanted, but that they shouldn't force others to have to ride the same pace by performing a rolling road block... and a simple moving over would prevent anyone from having to do high speed passes. That message was apparently not delivered well between the screaming and cuss words? He went to finally leave and his Harley wouldn't start. Classic. lol.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
                      Next time bring along some muscle to do the "light work" on those Harley riders

Can't blame Ivan for wanting to go fast - heck on that FeeJer I don't know why he even hangs around us slow, old XSes anyway! Must be the stimulating conversation.

John
                      I think he hangs around us because we're the only ones that'll put up with him...........and vice versa.
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

nice pic's,glad you boy's had a great time.Was expecting to see pic's of you guys on the porch down by the holler drinking moonshine and playing the banjo.
                        FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
                        1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                        1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda 69 View Post
                          nice pic's,glad you boy's had a great time.Was expecting to see pic's of you guys on the porch down by the holler drinking moonshine and playing the banjo.

To be honest, right off the back porch of that hotel we stay at, it drops off into a holler, and some of us were drinking apple pie moonshine! All we needed was a banjo... you know.. for a little romantic music.

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100

Comment

Trying to upload a couple videos, but the short one has taken 2 hours and is only at 92%. Hopefully the computer will stay on long enough to finish. Headed to bed.

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100

Comment

Here's a couple of the videos I shot. In the first one, at the first hairpin, you can see the oily spot that Greg went down on. I tried to point it out and have it passed back, but I think Greg was just hard headed and likes to go his own way.lol. The video ended because it took that long to realize my son wasn't behind Ivan (Who was behind me) and we turned around to see what was up. It sure puts a nasty feeling in your gut to think your son may have crashed.

So.. no land speed redords or squeeling tires though a few speed limits may have been bent... especially in the second video. Just trying to have a nice smooth cruise. In the second video, Harry (Bigfoot) waves me by, then I follow Greg for a bit before he waves me by. At the end, you can see my son who had gone by me with Greg and Harry when we'd gone back to check on them. No idea who the Harley people were that waved me by.

The problem is with the camara mounted up on my helmet, you really can't hear the bike even though it makes for a decent video. Also, the fish-eye lense on the Go Pro camara has got to go. None of the hills look steep and none of the turns look sharp. And look how it makes my humungous Vetter fairing look like a sport fairing.. lol. I'll try to get what few pics I have loaded up tonight. Oh, and I shot the video in 720, so you can change the setting up to that if you want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWGC1J_o__Q&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_GDGzqJS8k&feature=plcp

Current bikes:
                              '06 Suzuki DR650
                              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                              '81 XS1100 Special
                              '81 YZ250
                              '80 XS850 Special
                              '80 XR100