Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• July shakedown

Hi all,

I got a chance by fate to do a shakedown run this weekend on the Mongrel, in preparation for the ride to Deuce.

Some friends needed help moving and live across the sound, a short 20 min ride to the ferry, hour ferry ride and 10 min ride to their home, well I missed the ferry by about 10 minutes.

The ticket booth operator suggested, "It is a nice day for a ride", and showed me how I would actually save an hour by driving around, as the next ferry was 90 min away.

I drove the 95 miles around from Seattle to Tacoma, over the Tacoma Narrows Bridge, a spectacular bridge that in all of my 42 years have never experienced. It is one of the largest suspension bridges (so ive heard), while on the bridge I rembered one very important item I had left behind, the fuel cap key ... sitting right on the counter so i wouldnt' forget it..

Yep, I have the mongrel, with rusty's tank on it... and its a Special...running rich. I arrived in Bremerton just as the reserve light came on. Knowing I had about a 22 mile ride home and about the same in fuel, i was prepared to hoof the last if needed.

On the return trip I had to wait an hour for the ferry that evening, just me on my rat jap bike, and 3 biker harley's , until just before the boat arrived, then a cocky kid on a racing bike joined me.. at least he took the pressure off of me from then on.

The ride into Seattle from the water is spectacular, even know the picture doesn't do justice.
    When the ferry docked, the racer kid cut off the 3 harley's and took off... with 3 harleys in hot pursuit...

I chose to turn left and try to find an open gas station, hoping that since the key code was not too many numbers diffrernt i could jiggle the key and get it open.
    Well after about 20 min in the middle of the Seattle Night or Wild life is more like it the cap popped open, and i was able to fuel up and head home arriving about 1 am. 140 miles and a glorious day for a ride.. Found a few things to work on fine tuning the mongrel for the trip up north, and getting my self in hte right frame of mind as well.

Thanks for listening.
    jeff "Wags"
    Bothell, Wa

79sf mongrel
    79sf rusty
    79 partsbike almost complete

Wags,

I found, on my xs650, that you can open the fuel cap by pushing in on a piece of metal that sticks out under the front of the cap. It is the catch that the key pushes when it turns. The cap looks the same to me as on my XS1100.
    Bill Murrin
    Nashville, TN
    1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
    1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
    2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
    2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
    1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
    2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Working...
    X