Last weekend My first XS11 ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last weekend My first XS11 ride

Bought my 1978 XS1100 on friday afternoon. Registered and insured that day. Went through her real quick and went to get a inspection sticker. When it warmed up idle was around much fun 4k ,not much fun in town. Adjusted it down in a parking lot of where I bought it. Maine Cycle Salvage. Like the ad said looks like hell but runs. They were right. Temps low 40s 30 mph gusty winds and junk gloves but put 100 miles on it sunday and monday and loved every minute of it. This website had alot to do with getting me excited about this bike. One thing I learned is I have ugliest best bike. It will take all next winter to make it pretty but Im just gonna try to enjoy as much as I can this season. But to start I thought the sissy bar and luggage rack held on with hose clamps can come off. Maby when it warms up I will at least paint the tank and hose it off.

Good to hear another was rescued from being a full salvage/parts bike... Keep it on the road buddy! and welcome to Channel 11
    Don
    1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
    1989 kawi ex500
    1996 yzf-r6
    1999 yzf-r1
    2001 kawi zx-6r
    2000 Ducati 748
    2002 YZF-R1
    2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Originally posted by ddragon63 View Post
      Good to hear another was rescued from being a full salvage/parts bike... Keep it on the road buddy! and welcome to Channel 11
      +1 to that! Congrats and welcome aboard!
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by evil genius View Post
        Bought my 1978 XS1100 on friday afternoon.

One thing I learned is I have ugliest best bike. It will take all next winter to make it pretty but Im just gonna try to enjoy as much as I can this season.
        Ugly is just relative! What is most fun is riding something ugly past $20,000+ new bikes (let's call it passing) and giving them a friendly wave as you go by. That is a hoot. A $20K purchase doesn't necessarily make a good rider, in fact there are a bunch of really unsafe operators of two wheel machines on the roads.

Have fun this summer on your new machine. No question that you got the "Best Bike" . . . . . here we see it for it's true beauty and legacy. WELCOME

Jeff
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Hey Evil,We don't call them ugly,we call them 'WELL RIDDEN" Show me another bike on the rode at that age,that can go that d@mn fast. Enjoy the bike for the summer(there short up there),and then you can spend shop time with her.
          FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
          1999 Vulcan classic-sold
          1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Well,

Ugly as in half assed hacked up wire job luggage rack with sissy bar attached to stock luggage rack with 4 inch HOSE CLAMPS (not real secure) and more tape than material covering seat black rattle can paint just to start. but dont get me wrong I love this bike and just have alot to do. Just finished seafoaming crankcase oil oil change and filter only to have the fuel leak into engine case and dump out of the airbox. But thanks to this site everything I need to know so far I have been able to figure out or at least get me in the right direction. So thanks for making this such an informative site it give people like me enough direction.

Comment

Working...
            X