Columbia River Gorge Run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columbia River Gorge Run

Took a 270 mile trek up the OR side of the Gorge yesterday. Crossed over @ Biggs, OR on Hwy 97 and came back via WA Hwy 14.... Great trip. Got a couple things left to check on "Old Man" and he's ready for Sunriver, OR in June

Crown Point, OR top of Historic Hwy 30 East

The Vista House @ Crown Point

The View East up the Columbia from Crown Point... You can see I-84 WAY down below

Multnomah Falls

Sturgeon Ponds @ Cascades Locks, OR

Stonehenge... Marys Hill, WA

Horse Thief Lake, WA

Bonniville power house... North Bonniville, WA

Don
    1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
    1989 kawi ex500
    1996 yzf-r6
    1999 yzf-r1
    2001 kawi zx-6r
    2000 Ducati 748
    2002 YZF-R1
    2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Yep yep, I need to take a trip up that way.
    Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
    Ozark, Alabama

Comment

WA state route 14 (hwy 14) is an awesome drive. It's very cool to come out of the forrest into the high desert and see the transition as the trees fade away and sage brush starts. Almost as cool as state route 504 where you come out of forrest into the blast zone of mt st helens. You ever make it up here joab I'll show ya around.
      Don
      1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
      1989 kawi ex500
      1996 yzf-r6
      1999 yzf-r1
      2001 kawi zx-6r
      2000 Ducati 748
      2002 YZF-R1
      2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

as always Don,great pic's and looked like a great ride.Thanks for sharing. John.
        FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
        1999 Vulcan classic-sold
        1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Thanks John. I love my HTC thunderbolt smart phone. I don't even bring a camera with me anymore as my phone has a 8mp HD camera built in. with a 32g SD card we can snap alot of photos and video recordings. Got it linked to my photobucket account so as soon as I snap a pic it hits my photobucket. Make everything WAY easier than having to upload from a camera later. plus i can upload right to my facebook too... technology has come A LONG way in the last 10 years. I like it

I pulled the spark plugs out of Old Man last night to see how we are doing. During the ride yesterday under heavy load I was encountering a mid rpm WOT hesitation, and seemed to not have the off idle power I had before I starting fiddling with the carbs. After plug inspection we seem to still be a little lean thru the idle circuit. I'm figuring my 2 problems stem from this. must be having a transition issue from idle circuit to main circuit. Gonna hook the gauges back up later in the weeks and tune a little more on it. Probably just need to fatten up the idle mixture a little more. I'll get it figured out
          Don

old:
          1989 kawi ex500
          1996 yzf-r6
          1999 yzf-r1
          2001 kawi zx-6r
          2000 Ducati 748
          2002 YZF-R1
          2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Was up that way many times ehen I lived in Beaverton. Very nice ride, very nice photos. I do miss the Columbia.

Another nice ride, variation on this one, is to go up the gorge to Hood River and come back behind Mt. Hood. A bit more forested and roads are a bit more twisty, but a nice ride. Stop and watch the wind surfers neat Hood River, very colorful and some of the riders do some great tricks.
            Jerry Fields
            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
            '06 Concours
            My Galleries Page.
            My Blog Page.
            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

hey Don,how do you get it to go to photo bucket?I have a smart phone,and I have to e-mail the pic's,is there a trick to it? We have a falls something like the pic's you have up in the Adirondack mountains,but you can't get anywhere close to it,unless you hike 20 or so miles in.You can see it from rt 30 but it's a ways off.
              FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
              1999 Vulcan classic-sold
              1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda 69 View Post
                hey Don,how do you get it to go to photo bucket?I have a smart phone,and I have to e-mail the pic's,is there a trick to it? We have a falls something like the pic's you have up in the Adirondack mountains,but you can't get anywhere close to it,unless you hike 20 or so miles in.You can see it from rt 30 but it's a ways off.
                I downloaded the Photobucket App off the Android Market. and then you can go thru the settings. I have mine set so any pic I take will go into a Photobucket Queue, then I can allow or deny pics once I open my Queue list.
                Don

old:
                1989 kawi ex500
                1996 yzf-r6
                1999 yzf-r1
                2001 kawi zx-6r
                2000 Ducati 748
                2002 YZF-R1
                2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

John, you can hike a trail to the top or these falls and look down. you cross that bridge as part of the hike. beautiful place.
                  Don

old:
                  1989 kawi ex500
                  1996 yzf-r6
                  1999 yzf-r1
                  2001 kawi zx-6r
                  2000 Ducati 748
                  2002 YZF-R1
                  2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Thanks Don,
                    looks like a nice ride. Waterfall is impressive too
                    Phil
                    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                      Thanks Don,
                      looks like a nice ride. Waterfall is impressive too
                      Phil
                      620 ft tall...2nd tallest in the country. tallest in OR. when SWMBO first were dating we use to go up there and Beacon Rock (which is on the WA side of the Gorge) and hike them. Then lazyness set in, we just stand @ the bottom now and take pictures
                      Don

old:
                      1989 kawi ex500
                      1996 yzf-r6
                      1999 yzf-r1
                      2001 kawi zx-6r
                      2000 Ducati 748
                      2002 YZF-R1
                      2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda 69 View Post
                        You must be talking about Kaaterskill Falls in the Catskills... a 230ft falls that drops in 2 segments... It's only 15ft taller than Taughannock Falls in Ithaca NY. There are falls in Letchworth State Park that exceed 500ft though.

Nice ride, thanks for sharing.
                        '79 XS11 F
                        Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                        Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                        GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Very niceWas there a couple of years ago by train,stayed in Portland and took a bus tour thru that area...I liked the pic with your bike and the Columbia River in the back ground
                          Last edited by STEPPENWOLF; 04-29-2012, 08:05 AM.
                          '80 XS1100 SG
                          Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

Originally posted by STEPPENWOLF View Post
                            Very niceWas there a couple of years ago by train,stayed in Portland and took a bus tour thru that area...I liked the pic with your bike and the Columbia River in the back ground
                            Ya I didn't even intentionally Park like that. Thats just how we ended up. I stepped back and saw the angle and thought "Yep.... PERFECT!"

If I can get the nice weather to come back I can get out for some more rides. First "Old Man" needs a good bath. Frame, and wheels are filthy! I haven't given him his yearly tear down and clean up yet. Now that I'm done F'n up the carbs and he's running good I can finally clean him up real good.
                            Don

old:
                            1989 kawi ex500
                            1996 yzf-r6
                            1999 yzf-r1
                            2001 kawi zx-6r
                            2000 Ducati 748
                            2002 YZF-R1
                            2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

We have everything out here except dry weather. LOL
                              1980 XS1100LG Midnight
                              1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
                              A quick death and an easy one.
                              A pretty girl and an honest one.
                              A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Working...
                              X