Proud Poppa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proud Poppa

So, today my son got his "permit" to ride on the road. We started out with me on my "F" and my boy on the "G". Took a nice little stroll down the back roads, nice and slow, letting him get used to the feel of the road compared to his years of dirt bikes. About 10 miles into our ride,we switched up and he took over the "F". As we started out again, it dawned on me that we were doing something together that I never got a chance to do with my dad, the first ride.
    I have to tell you, I had goose bumps. I am looking forward to a great summer of teaching and riding with my son.

Ernie
    1979 XS110F, Stock
    1980 XS1100G, Mostly Stock, gifted to my son.
    2000 YZ 250, Sold
    2002 YZ125, Sold
    2009 Royal Star Venture
    '94 Pontiac Trans Am, 25th Anniversary, For Sale

Ernie

Yes!

Very Cool my man... That is something I look forward to with my son. Our first dirt bike ride was awesome together. Can't wait for street rides. I also never got a chance to ride side by side with my Dad. I had street bikes while he was still alive but we never hooked up for a ride. Keep it going thru the generations man!
    Don
    1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
    1989 kawi ex500
    1996 yzf-r6
    1999 yzf-r1
    2001 kawi zx-6r
    2000 Ducati 748
    2002 YZF-R1
    2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

I wonder if I could teach my cat to ride...
      Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
      Ozark, Alabama

Comment

That is VERY cool! and a great way to spend time with your son.

One of my daughters is talking about getting a bike. She's 16 so it won't be long before we're taking her out... nervous and excited all at the same time. (all parties involved)
        lol

Enjoy your time with your son!
        81 SH Something Special
        81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
        81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
        80 LG Black Magic
        78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
        For those on FB

Comment

Congrats! My son is almost 14, and he rides pillion with me whenever he can. He's talked about eventually riding, but I think we'll concentrate on the 4-wheeled version first. After the testosterone fades a little, then we'll look at bikes for him. No dirt options around here, so we don't have that to start him off with.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Joab View Post
            I wonder if I could teach my cat to ride...
            Hey Joab, you get your cat to ride and I will work on my yellow lab!
            1979 XS110F, Stock
            2000 YZ 250, Sold
            2002 YZ125, Sold
            2009 Royal Star Venture

Ernie

Comment

Originally posted by Wildkat View Post
              That is VERY cool! and a great way to spend time with your son.

One of my daughters is talking about getting a bike. She's 16 so it won't be long before we're taking her out... nervous and excited all at the same time. (all parties involved)
              lol

Enjoy your time with your son!
              I wish my daughter would show an interest, but hey bikes are not for everyone...but maybe someday.
              1979 XS110F, Stock
              2000 YZ 250, Sold
              2002 YZ125, Sold
              2009 Royal Star Venture

Ernie

Comment

Originally posted by ESJr1642 View Post
                Hey Joab, you get your cat to ride and I will work on my yellow lab!
                Lets do this thing...opposable thumbs are for the weak!
                Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
                Ozark, Alabama

Comment

I wish my daughter would show an interest, but hey bikes are not for everyone...but maybe someday.
                  I have a feeling my daughter will want a street bike soon... she thinks she's mastered the dirt bike already. even though she runs herself into everything trying to work the clutch Ah teenage girl, she knows everything, just ask her. Or wait around and she'll tell ya
                  Don
                  1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
                  1989 kawi ex500
                  1996 yzf-r6
                  1999 yzf-r1
                  2001 kawi zx-6r
                  2000 Ducati 748
                  2002 YZF-R1
                  2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

We have two girls who LOVE to ride but our son isn't thrilled about it. I don't know... something about my backrest breaking while he was riding with me kinda spooked him when he was younger. (ahem... )
                    We put him in the "maybe someday" category too...

Originally posted by ddragon63 View Post
                    I have a feeling my daughter will want a street bike soon... she thinks she's mastered the dirt bike already. even though she runs herself into everything trying to work the clutch Ah teenage girl, she knows everything, just ask her. Or wait around and she'll tell ya
                    LOL
                    I think that's ALL teenagers!

As for the running into things... yeah, that's a concern of ours as well. The daughter with the most interest in riding on her own has the nickname Crashley. It'll probably be awhile before she gets her driver's license, much less her motorcycle endorsement.
                    lol
                    81 SH Something Special
                    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                    80 LG Black Magic
                    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                    For those on FB

Comment

Working...
                    X