Two weekends, one report.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two weekends, one report.

My oldest son acquired a dual sport bike, a Suzuki DR-Z400, and I already have a Suzuki DR 650. I've always had an old Honda XR100 for the boys to putt around on, but he wanted to go ride some serious off-roads with me after hearing of and seeing pics of my previous trips. I must say that it scares me a bit to have my sons riding, but the memories we've been making since they both got their motorcycle endorsements has been absolutely awesome.

We loaded the dirt bikes up and headed for eastern Oklahoma to the Kiamichi "Mountains". I grew up in Washington state, so I have a hard time calling the hills around here mountains. The forecast was for 60% chance of rain, but with temps in the 70's, so we decided we'd just go anyway since we'd planned on getting wet and muddy anyway. We went the evening before and stayed at a local motel so we could get up early and take off. By that evening, the rain chances had dropped to 30%. I've planned trips before, watching the forecast for a week in advance. The weather people can't even get tomorrow right, so why do we do that? lol.

Next morning was warm and beautiful!

My son on his bike. He hates the yellow, so he's started buying green stuff for it. I guess it's his and he can do what he wants with it. At least he's not chopping it and making it a hard tail, right?

Up in the hills, (Sorry.. MOUNTAINS) there were some great views!

There's an old Forestry Service tower on the trail. I've never actually climbed it before. You can see all the support cables gone but one, and the rest of it wasn't in the best of shape, but it did have some nice views.

And a shot through the floor of the tower.. showing the shape it's in. lol.

Back out on the trail. This Kiamichi Trail we were riding is about 48 miles long and goes over many mountains and gullies. We rode it out and back for close to 100 miles, but according to the computer, we only averaged 17mph because some of the terrain is pretty rough and steep. I didn't get many pics of the rough stuff, because that requires one hand for the camera when you really need two. lol. There are lots of muddy spots, nice relaxing sections, and some demanding sections. All in all, a good spot and my son did an extremely good job for his first time out. His only problem was when hitting a large bump or a bit of a jump, the kickstand would go down, activating the kill switch when you really needed the throttle. That has now been disconnected. That's what made him dump it the one time he did. It was actually humorous.. He got caught in between two hills, the bike died, and he was flailing away with his legs trying to touch but couldn't.. and fell in the mud. All in all, a beautiful day and a great ride with my son.

To be continued...
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

The next weekend, we had a street bike ride planned over in Arkansas. Most of the guys had something going on and couldn't make it, so it was just Ivan, (Who has an XS but rode his FJR) my son, Greg (BA80), and I. Ivan and I met up on Thursday to have an extra day to ride around. Rain forcast was just 30%. We met up in Tulsa, OK, and just about the time we hit the road, the rain started. NOTHING is waterproof on a motorcycle at 75mph. Not just a sprinkle, but that crappy torrential wind driven sideways rain with temps in the mid 40's. After @ 160 miles of that, we finally got to Eureka Springs... just as the rain let up. It actually turned out to be a decent evening. We stayed the first night in a hotel that had a convention going.. we hoped. Either that, or the hookers in Arkansas are so cheap, they don't even need beds. If you can't read the sign, it says "Welcome Rug Hookers" My Xj and Ivan's FJR below.

My son and Greg planned on being there Friday, the next day, so we just kicked back and enjoyed an adult beverage with the heater in the room drying all our riding gear out. Ivan got to try out some of the Apple Pie Moonshine I'd made. Tasty stuff. The next day, my son got there in the afternoon, so we took a ride north to Branson, Missourri. Ivan hates Branson, so we went down to the riverfront away from the main tourist traps, and I bought him a pint to cheer him up. They have quite a few beers on tap and will let you sample before making a choice. They also have excellent fish and chips!

Greg had to work all day and he didn't get there until later, but he made it to the motel before we made it back after dark. He'd had a few by the time we got in, so he was a bit more cheerful than normal when he said, "'Bout f*&#ing time you got your a#*es here!" Good to see you as well, Greg!

Next two days... absolute perfection. Mid to upper 70's, 0% chance of rain, and not a cloud in the sky! On the road after breakfast.. Ivan on his FJR, Greg on his 80 Special, and my son on my 81 Special.

A good spot to get rid of some of that coffee...

We came up on a herd of wild elk in a pasture.. along with a herd of idiots stopped all over the road to take pics of them.

We decided to keep on easing through, but apparently the new mufflers I put on the red bike are a bit obnoxious. When my son went to ride by, it spooked the whole herd. I imagine we left some pissed off people.. lol. At least they were running from us, not at us.

We stopped in Jasper, AR, for some fuel, and I saw this stream across the road and going under.

Watch that first step in the morning!

We did some more riding and stopped by a one lane bridge to take a few pics and saw these in a tree.

My wife bought me a GoPro Hero2 before the trip because she gets scared of me riding one-handed while taking pics and video. I didn't have any mounting points set up, so I ended up riding one handed and shooting video with the GoPro. lol. I need to update my computer I guess. I don't even have one that will play the videos it made. Oh well... Most of this trip, I just resorted to my old faithful point and click camera I've always used.

Back on the road and shooting back over my head, I got some good shots of the others and my son. This is only his second road trip, and the first one, he laid this bike down and dislocated his shoulder. He has progressed very quickly with his riding skills and I am pretty proud of him. It's still a bit scary to watch your kid ride, but it's getting easier knowing he can handle the bike better. I honestly think the dirt riding is helping him a bunch.

End of the fun and riding back to the motel.

The next morning well all rode together back to Tulsa before splitting off our separate ways. It was another beautiful day to ride.

And the last shot was of Ivan and my son.

We got @ 1200 miles on the old Yamahas this weekend. Ivan, a bit more since he lives the furthest. Riding with buddies is absolutely a great thing, but having my son there makes it even better for me. Looking forward to the next ride, guys!

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Motivation for Others to 'get out and ride'

Thanks for posting your great ride reports along with the great photo's. Looks like a lot of fun and cooperative weather for both off-road and on-the-pavement trips. Your report is sure a good motivator for everyone to get their bike(s) running, then, Plan a Ride -or- schedule to attend a Rally.

It is also nice that you are able to get 'quality time' with your son. It is always wonderful for a father to get some time to spend with either son or daughter, especially when two wheels are involved. That time creates great memories and bonding that sadly some never get to experience.

There are certainly many hidden treasures all over the USA to explore. Like you, I got a somewhat tainted perspective of real mountains while living many years in Sacramento CA. Like: it ain't a real mountain if it ain't over 10,000 feet. I was wrong. There are many great roads and interesting things see just about anywhere. Plus, riding anywhere with friends is always good. In the past couple years of exploring I have been really amazed at the quality of the Roads & Scenery in northern Arkansas and southern Missouri. Great pavement and lots of curves = FUN, no matter where you are. The Hero2 seems to be a big improvement over the original Hero.

Jeff
      Last edited by JeffH; 03-26-2012, 02:24 PM.
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Outstanding. Got ta love having the son ride along. Mine got his learners on Fathers day several years ago and we went riding quite a bit afterwards. Not so much since he got married but we still get out. He is an LEO and they formed a club called reckless endangerment. I call them arrested development
        "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
        1981 LH

Comment

Very cool Tod....

As we've discussed previously about my latest acquisition of Dirt bikes, I finally got 2 of the 3 running. My Son spent the Weekend massing his TTR-90 around the back field. He will uphold the great family legacy of motorcycle riders. By Sunday he was setting up ramps and jumping things in the back yard. His Grandfather would be proud. I hope when he gets older he shares my love for street bikes as well so we can make some trips. until then we will have to spend sometime on the trails.

Seeing your pictures makes me look forward to better weather up here in rain country. I got a small taste Saturday with a 140 trek down the Ocean Beach Hwy. But it wasn't enough. Like a good 2 wheel junky I WANT MORE

Keep em shiny side up.... and enjoy the ride

Don
          Don
          1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
          1989 kawi ex500
          1996 yzf-r6
          1999 yzf-r1
          2001 kawi zx-6r
          2000 Ducati 748
          2002 YZF-R1
          2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

One of my daughters went to XS East three times. The first time, she was ten years old. Each time meant sitting behind me on the motorcycle for a week. Do you think she'll ever forget that? I rather doubt it.

Don...You mentioned memories of riding with your dad. Unforgetable, right?
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
              One of my daughters went to XS East three times. The first time, she was ten years old. Each time meant sitting behind me on the motorcycle for a week. Do you think she'll ever forget that? I rather doubt it.

Don...You mentioned memories of riding with your dad. Unforgetable, right?
              Oh absolutely!!!!!

I remember dad getting pulled over because he had me riding on the gas tank, I was about 5. He argued with the cop for a good 10 minutes about how he thought it was safer to put me there where he can keep an eye on me. Eventually after threat of ticket and the cop explaining to him That the forward most person must be the controller of the bike , dad gave up.

I remember him taking me to camp over on the coast on the back of the XS every summer from about 8 years old till about 14.

And I remember our limited times out on the dirt bikes until his body couldn't handle the beating any more.

My son is 10 my daughter is 15. I try real hard to find common ground with both of my kids. Being as young as i am it makes it very easy as I still think like a kid My daughter has always been my fishing buddy for as long as I can remember. My son seems to be into things that are loud and fast. Got him on this little dirt bike and he has taken to it like a pig to mud.
              Don
              1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
              1989 kawi ex500
              1996 yzf-r6
              1999 yzf-r1
              2001 kawi zx-6r
              2000 Ducati 748
              2002 YZF-R1
              2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

I always enjoy riding with the gang, I just wish the others had been able to make it also for the first trip of the year.

I was the only one there still on last years tires....................gotta get some ordered. These are completely done now.

Best part is nobody wrecked this time. Always a plus.

Can't wait till next time.
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

thanks for posting, my duaghter used to ride with me when I used to ride dirt bike. It was funny,when she was a kid,if I was going out riding with the boys,she would cry her little eyes out unless I gave her a ride before I left.:
                  FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
                  1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                  1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Working...
                  X