Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better Late than Never:Events of Fall 2011

Hey Folks,

I decided to post this in the ride reports instead of the Rally section, because there's a bit more than just the Rally stuff. This post is several weeks late, because I was kinda tired after the trip, then had to go right back to work, then came down with a cold that took me a couple of weeks to truly get over it, then more work stuff, etc, finally was able to make the time to upload the photos to the bucket, and make this post!

Every Fall I try to make the Xsive rally, and because I'm going that far southeast, I also go a bit farther and visit my 84 y/o Mom who lives in Enterprise, Al for a week before the rally weekend. My mom is a big part of why I ride. She was a motorcycle mama way back then...she started out with a Moped when she lived on a farm in Alabama, after she grew up there was a period when she wouldn't date a guy if he didn't own a bike(Harley's at the time)!

I had gotten a pathetic almost worn out 67 Yam. 305 twin stroke my last year of High School, but it spent more time in the shop than out. SO...Mom got me my first real new bike for my '76 HS graduation, a '74 Yamaha TX500A. I didn't know about the cracking head problems! Had to have mine replaced also a few years later, rode it for some 6-7 years, took it with me to Japan where I picked up my XS11! End of that story.

SO...while visiting Mom, I decided to visit the Barber Motorsports Museum in Birmingham, a few hours away. I had read on here last year that when some other Xsives had visited it, that they didn't have any XS11 on display, they have 1200+ bikes, but only room for 600 or so at one time, they rotate them. I took a chance, and here's what I saw.
    The front gates/entrance and the fancy Statue(s) out front.

When you walk in, you see this:

And to my delite, they had this on display in the rack:

I had to shoot this one from farther away, and my Flash wasn't strong enough at this distance, so it's a bit dark!

Here's a shot of what they say is the FIRST "Motorcycle", see the description plate below:

They even had an example of my FIRST NEW BIKE, the TX500 !

I'm splitting this post up over several posts, have had problems when trying to post too many photo links in 1 post before, see the continuation....
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Better late, Part2

Here's a few more shots from the Museum, that I thought folks might enjoy, I took a bunch, had to filter out some.

Here's an early Pierce Arrow, interesting because it's circa ~1918, an inline 4 cylinder with shaft drive! Note the modern day beast in the background!

The Mighty V-Max:

This caught my eye, a 70's KAW V-8, I can't remember what the plate said, if it was a special CUSTOM job or what???

This one interested me, I remember decades ago when the Sears/Roebuck was the mail order BIBLE way before JW Whitney or Ebay, they even had motorcycles for mail order in the early 1900's, right FREDintoon!

I remember seeing ads in magazines for ski outriggers!

Now, for the second part of the story. A few days into my visit, I was backing out Mom's car for us to go somewhere, she was parked next to the curb on the right side, so I couldn't turn the wheel until it was backed out the whole length of the car, when I looked at where I had been parked, I saw a little kitten, just a few weeks old, I could have RUN OVER IT!
    I put it in the bushes next to the apartments, had seen it's mother around earlier. Next day, found it under the car again, and had seen it under other cars in the parking lot, started thinking/worrying about it's fate, so I decided to RESCUE it from a most certain ugly accident! Took it into the apartment, got a couple of boxes for a bed and litter box and kept it in the bathtub.

As you can see, it is Black, and I had just gotten back from the Museum, so of course it's name is now "MIDNIGHT", it was KARMA!

I got a large storage box from Walmart, cut holes in it, and took it with me when I left Mom and drove/trailered up to the Rally!

I had bought Dry Mix yourself Cat Formula, hid him in the Rally Apartment(they didn't allow pets), asked them to NOT clean my room every day , fed him every morning before leaving for the Rally rides, then again when got back that PM. He survived just fine, and then got him home, checked out by the Vet before letting him mingle with our other 2 cats and 1 dog!

Here he is sleeping in a flower pot of a dead orchid in our bathroom!

Here he is fresh at home, he's barely big enough to fit in my hand. He was only 0.7 lbs at his first Vet visit. 2 weeks later he was 1.5 lbs. 2 weeks later he was 2.5 lbs, so he's THRIVING!!

I've got the day off today, he's up here in my computer room sitting/sleeping in my lap....yes, he's MY KITTY!

See next post for conclusion: T.C.
    T. C. Gresham

Comment

Better Late: Part 3

Okay, had fun at the Rally despite my front calipers decided to seize up due to 10+ years since last rebuild, and outside rain exposure and such! SO I just pried them apart and used my back brake and engine compression exclusively during the rally rides, no real problem!!

Deals Gap's new sign!

A restaurant we stopped at, nice view:

A side track stop along the ride.

Brent on his mighty XS11, the Fireman Harley and Buell were jealous!

And Eugene:

MartyA's bike:

Just one of the stops:

Scenic spot/stop:

The bikes at the Deals Gap Run stop...I think?

I didn't take very many photos this trip, that's about it. Others have posted links to their photo albums in the Rally thread, thanks guys!!

Mark Lew, I haven't forgotten the DVD I promised to send you!!
      Thanks for watching/reading!

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham

Comment

The first carburetor

I love it. That museum looks like a good place to visit if I ever get back east again. Thanks, T.C.!
        -- Scott
        _____
        ♬
        2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
        1979 XS1100F: parts
        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.
        ♬

Comment

Great Pics TC...Barber looks awesome....Glad to see an XS11 MNS...Just love the little kitty...looks like instant bonding
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Midnight (meow)

Your new friend is gonna want to go riding with you!
            Maybe inside your jacket at first, then maybe as he gets older, a little carpet patch on your tank.

As a fellow cat rescuer, I feel you.
            The other day when i stopped by, I didn't get a chance to tell you, but 3 years ago, my wife and I rescued a momma kitty and her 4 kittens. We only found a home one and kept the rest.

I think it's time for me to go to a rally and have some fun with my fellow XSives!
            (Even if I have to leave the mrs. home )
            Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
            The Green Monster
            K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
            Got him in '04.
            bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
            Scarlet
            K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
            Got her in '11
            Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
            Hugo
            Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
            Cold weather ride

Comment

Barber & XSive riders riders at ironhorse

TC,
              Nice report & pics. I had fun too.

Thanks
              It is a great big beautiful world out there
              Brent in GA
              Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Very nice ride..like the part about mom
                My cat Amtrak just moved on so maybe another rescue for me.
                Brent,on a side note,your saddle bag looked mighty close to your pipe,optical illusion?
                '80 XS1100 SG
                Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

bags

Originally posted by STEPPENWOLF View Post
                  Very nice ride..like the part about mom
                  My cat Amtrak just moved on so maybe another rescue for me.
                  Brent,on a side note,your saddle bag looked mighty close to your pipe,optical illusion?
                  Yes the bags are a little too close to pipes, No fire so far...
                  It is a great big beautiful world out there
                  Brent in GA
                  Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Working...
                  X