Weekend Trip to Muskegon, MI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend Trip to Muskegon, MI

It seems that all I use this forum for is to get repair advice. I figure let's try something new for a change.

A couple weeks ago, I decided to take a weekend off and go camping in Muskegon, MI for a few days. It was the first time I'd taken the motorcycle on a trip that long, and was eager to see how she performed. I packed up in the morning, went to work from 4 AM until 10 AM, then got ready to set off. The only problem? I had things packed a little awkward (too much stuff at the back), AND it decided to rain. Hard. SO my sleeping bag was soaked. But, on the bright side, the weather cleared up, and I managed to re-arrange my luggage.

The trip there wasn't bad- freeway riding was a relatively new experience, but the bike behaved itself wonderfully. Now, Muskegon MI is right on Lake Michigan, and the campground I stayed at was directly on the lake as well. Problem was, EVERYTHING was sand. Not good for a 500 lbs. bike and a tiny kickstand. THANKFULLY I found a piece of wood to use as a kickstand prop, and soon I had everything set up:

The main reason I stayed here was the beach. It's probably one of the best beaches you can find on Lake Michigan, and because it's so close to the sleeping bear dunes, it's not that crowded either. I spend that Friday getting stuff set up.

On Saturday I went into Grand Haven and Muskegon, to see the sights. At Grand Haven, the main thing was the lighthouse. And possibly some cuties as well...

In Muskegon, they had a WWII era submarine, the USS Silversides.

I took a tour of that, but what was really cool about it was right before I bought my ticket, a family in front of me bought theirs. It turns out one of them actually served on the same class of sub that the Silversides was. I proceeded to get a guided tour of this submarine from a guy who probably knew more about it than anyone.

That night I managed to get a few shots of the sunset over the water:

Sunday (the day I left) I started by checking out the visitor's center at the campground, after I checked out. The highlight here was a stairway that was built so visitors could get to the top of the sand dunes overlooking the lake.

The trip home was uneventful, except for one thing. I stopped for ice cream, and the ice cream joint had one of THE most useful weather devices I've ever seen.

(For all my photos, check it out here: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...skegon%202011/)
    Currently XS-less.

Nice variety of the sights!.......Apparently no scoot issues to keep the grin on........
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Muskegon Trip

I frequent Muskegon, having lived there in the seventies. Some beautiful riding. Take in " Bike Time". Kinda like Sturgis rally. Mostly Harleys, but a great weekend to check out the iron.
      79 1100 SF Carmine Red stock
      85 Honda v65 Magna
      70 Yamaha HS1 90cc twin Californian Orange
      02 Road King (retirement gift)
      First bike-s 2-1967 Yamaha YM2C Big Bear Scramblers

Comment

Working...
      X